Pens At Staples

JoshA

Im just getting into fountain pens, i got my first at staples -- A cross Aventura(the cheaper model ~19.00). I now have 7, 3 Metros one medium and the other two fine I got off amazon, three cheap Sheffield calligraphy pens got those at staples. The Aventura Is actually my second Aventura as it fell prey to my ocd in attempting to bend the tines strait. I also did the the same thing to one of my metros as well. I got a little upset at the pen so I wrenched the the nib out with a pair of pliers effectively shaping it off along with the plug. Not my best moment there... As far as the pens at Staples go, Iv noticed that the company goes out of their way to make sure that none of them come with converters. the MR pop collection pens that they carry all come standard with con-20s i thought. it seems like they tell Pilot to leave out the converter when they make their specialty packaging for their store. Im wondering why would they do that, they sell a $10 pen for $17 then not even give the connector and case that comes standard. This also seems to hold true for most of the pens they carry.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoshA

• pen lady

• inkstainedruth

• KellyMcJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing the converter is not necessarily a bad idea.

The converter in the pen might confuse a lot of their customers. Especially if Staples does not sell bottle ink.

ALL of the pens that I've given away, NONE of the recipients wanted anything to do with a bottle of ink. All wanted cartridges.

So I have been removing the converters from my gift/give-away pens and replacing it with a cartridge or two of ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Interesting, Staples here in Canada still sell Parker ink in bottles. At least they did last time I looked a few months ago.

thats part of my confusion, they sell a single bottle of black parker ink but non of their pens even come with a converter. they don't sell them separately either.

Office Depot was even worse than Staples (at least Staples *occasionally* carries bottles of Quink Black in their B&M stores, and 5 packs of Parker cartridges, although you can't seem to get Permanent Blue in the States any more :().

Several years ago (before the chain merged with Office Max), the Office Depot near me had a big display of pens for graduation gifts, including some inexpensive Yafa pens. But did they carry cartridges? Nope. Had the guy in the store open up the package for me, to find out what sort of fill system the pen was, and it included an order form to get replacement mini cartridges. The shipping (for some reason Greece comes to mind) from Europe was more than the cost of a pack of the mini carts.... So I passed on the pen completely. Really poor planning on somebody's part, but I'm not sure whether it was Office Depot or Yafa who was truly at fault for that.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ack! I noticed that the metro packaging was different (inferior!) But I didn't realize they'd yanked the converters too. :(

I have bought bottles of ink at Staples. WRT the converters I have no idea why they would go through the trouble to open the packages and remove them. Especially if they don't sell them separately. They probably just toss them. Probably some truth that people would be confused by them but my question then is why would anyone look to buy a fountain and not know what a converter is. I agree many people like the convenience of the cartridges. Staples et al are NOT your B&M pen and ink stores. I have seen that they do sell a few fountain pens. The staff working the aisles are stock clerks who know generally where things are located. I suspect Office Max et al are pretty much the same.

​Just make sure you know when they close for the day so you're not stuck in the store all night

Good luck

Well that's a good point. I remember my first year with my one and only fountain pen I just bought the packs of 6 cartridges for my Waterman. I wound up getting so tired of wondering if I needed to replace the cartridge that day with another black that I finally asked someone and they told me to buy a bottle of Waterman ink and fill the converter. Since this was the days before YouTube and there were no instructions on the box and I did not grow up around fountain pens, those first few fills were quite messy.