Closest Thing To An Esterbrook With A Thicker Section

Rav_LandE

Hello All,

I use an Esterbrook J as my daily pen and it works for me in most ways. I remember to fill it every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The length is perfect for my shirt pocket and it's no nonsense being, sits well with me.

Sometimes I do wish that the section was slightly thicker, or at least didn't taper as much.

I'm guessing that there's nothing we can do about the section on an Esterbrook but can someone suggest the closest thing to a black Esterbrook J with a thicker section.

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Rav_LandE

• Joe in Seattle

• AL01

Levanger true writer. That pen was signed from the ground up to be a modern day Esterbrook – replaceable nib, multiple colors, sturdy steel furniture and nib.

The section is larger – and the pen is appropriately sized and comfortable to write with.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

:W2FPN:

Hi,

Kindly consider the Pilot Prera.

In similar fashion to the ever so lovely Sheaffer Tuckaway, http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/tuckaway.htm, it has a girth of a full size pen in a compact form.

Guess who's the brightest blossom of this posey.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20ESS%20Registrars%20Blue-Black/c42ebe09.jpg

Perhaps the most well-documented pen is the exquisite Green-Black Pelikan M400, so that makes for a good comparison.

(Note that the image is scanned, so there is no parallax which would skew relative dimensions.)

One reason I like the Prera is that it can be grasped close to the nib, or rather far back on the section - no prescriptive grip. And that in my hand does well enough un-posetd for jotting, and when posted retains its balance for longer writing sessions.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Joe in Seattle - Thanks for the suggestion of the True Writer. I've looked into them before but for some reason didn't go through with purchasing. I'll look into them again.

Sandy1 - Thanks for the picture and the suggestion of the Pilot Prera, The Sheaffer is awfully tempting too.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Hi,

Indeed, the conical nib Tuckies are attractive, if not seductive.

(I have several. Their relatively low ink capacity is off-set by their smoooth narrow Waverley nibs.)

Let us know how things go.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Joe in Seattle - Thanks for the suggestion of the True Writer. I've looked into them before but for some reason didn't go through with purchasing. I'll look into them again.

Sandy1 - Thanks for the picture and the suggestion of the Pilot Prera, The Sheaffer is awfully tempting too.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

the Prera is a sweet writer, but the closest thing to what you were asking for would probably be a vintage Pelikan.

But in the US of A, they are pretty dang expensive.

You can also go for a larger sized Esterbrook J/ Dolla' Pen.

Parker Sonnet. I had an Estie and Sonnet out together this weekend. Very similar lengths capped and uncapped (Sonnet is a tad longer), similar girth, both can exchange nibs.

John

Pelikan nibs will screw into some Esterbrooks. Interesting to put a Pelikan M600 broad nib into an LJ.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.