Nemosine Singularity 0.6Mm Stub

KellyMcJ

First impressions: HOLY WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to stock up on these.

I bought the pen and the ink to use together (The space theme is just too strong for me to resist).

Photos on the websites don't do this pen justice. Something about a bright light box setup just isn't fair to colored demonstrators.

I didn't used to care for demonstrators but my mind changed the second I opened the box. It's gorgeous. And you know, writes really really well (the important part.)

It appears to be superb quality- it's weighty without being heavy, and the fit and finish is excellent. The clip is pretty strong, very springy and has a unique (functional) design.

The nib isn't butter smooth, but it's close. I don't think it would be unfair to liken it to a TWSBI stub. Very similar feel. Very nice to write with. This is my first sub- 1mm nib, and I absolutely love it.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170628_111304_zpsolfqdft7.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170628_111138_zpszey1twhs.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170628_111920_zps8to9haad.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170628_111213_zpscag24drz.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170628_111218_zpsau8dxzlv.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• Honeybadgers

• Misfit

• InkNsap

:) I bought mine because I wanted to know the truth of all the cap-cracking hype, and also fell in love with it from the start - it's a fantastic design!

:) I bought mine because I wanted to know the truth of all the cap-cracking hype, and also fell in love with it from the start - it's a fantastic design!

I actually haven't heard that about the Singularity, although TWSBI is (in)famous for it (or at least their earlier production runs were.)

The singularity is reinforced with a nice sturdy looking cap band so cracking would surprise me. But still, I hope it doesn't happen to mine!

I've heard all the horror stories about nemosine bodies, but I have four of their nibs (two 0.6 stubs, a F, and an EF) and I think they are absolutely SUPERB steel nibs. They look so different from standard know, jowo, or bock affairs, with the flat top and broad shoulders similar to a platinum 3776, and the 0.6 stub is probably the best everyday stub in existence that isn't custom ground.

If nothing else, I highly recommend the nemosine #6 nibs for an upgrade to any jinhao, cheap ranga, or converting a noodlers pen to daily use.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thanks for the review.

I keep looking at Singularities, but the colors don't wow me. If I did get one though, I'd definitely get one with the .6 nib (or maybe even a .8 nib, if I can find one).

There have been some rumors that Nemosine may come out with ebonite Singularities. If that happens I may be in line for one really quickly (their other models are too heavy for my hand to be comfortable).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the review.

I keep looking at Singularities, but the colors don't wow me. If I did get one though, I'd definitely get one with the .6 nib (or maybe even a .8 nib, if I can find one).

There have been some rumors that Nemosine may come out with ebonite Singularities. If that happens I may be in line for one really quickly (their other models are too heavy for my hand to be comfortable).

Oh my gosh! I would LOVE an ebonite singularity! Put me down for at least two!

I bought the 0.6mm stub partly because I have a 0.7mm cursive italic on custom order and I wanted time to practice with something similar before it arrived. I adore it.

http://i.imgur.com/Kq0J9hQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yOPQ3yG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/otFKsnQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/x6Q4AlG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JWibsYg.jpg

I can also only agree that Singularity is quite a nice pen, considering it's price it is an awesome pen.

Thanks for the review.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to just hop on Amazon and buy a 0.6 stub nib and try it on any old #6 pen (i like a noodlers konrad)

I really wish nemosine would make a self filler of some sort. For like $50, with one of their amazing micro stubs, I'd love something closer to be TWSBI vac mini

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I wholeheartedly encourage you to just hop on Amazon and buy a 0.6 stub nib and try it on any old #6 pen (i like a noodlers konrad)

I really wish nemosine would make a self filler of some sort. For like $50, with one of their amazing micro stubs, I'd love something closer to be TWSBI vac mini

Aren't they no 6 nibs? I'd think they'd be interchangeable with the TWSBI if that's the case.

Yeah I'd vac700/r and I think one or two others use a number 6. Your right, the vac mini is a 5. I always forget.

One of the major retailers sells nemosine's #5 nibs, but they only do ef-b and a 1.1 stub.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I picked up a Nemosine .6 stub about a year ago. It was, and still is my only stub. I typically get Fines, but seemed like a great way to try a stub. I actually really like it, but mostly keep it inked for the kids to play with. I'd never thought of swapping the nib into another pen, but may try it, I'm not a fan of one part of the singularity, its screw cap. I find that very often I end up unscrewing the barrel instead. Maybe putting the nib it into a Jinhao 159 would be fun.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

I picked up a Nemosine .6 stub about a year ago. It was, and still is my only stub. I typically get Fines, but seemed like a great way to try a stub. I actually really like it, but mostly keep it inked for the kids to play with. I'd never thought of swapping the nib into another pen, but may try it, I'm not a fan of one part of the singularity, its screw cap. I find that very often I end up unscrewing the barrel instead. Maybe putting the nib it into a Jinhao 159 would be fun.

It fits perfectly in a Jinhao 159. Although the 159 is sturdier, and I have subtle cracking around the lip of the cap, I just use the Singularity because the 159 can be used as a handy melee weapon. It's just too big & heavy for me.

Although I heavily lean towards Extra Fines, the Nemosine 0.6 stub turned me on to stub nibs, and I think fits into that happy place where you can write with a touch of expression without having too blobby of a nib (a problem for those of us who we small)... A semi flex can also do that, but it just takes longer to write with one of those and I find they dump too much ink.

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Hi Kelly, et al,

THANK YOU MUCH FOR THIS REVIEW! I have two or three Singularities and really like them a lot... especially for the price! You reviewed the very one I've been considering... the clear aqua with the stub nib; the ones I'm using now are opaque with standard tipped nibs.

Thank you, especially for the detailed writing sample... it really showcases the beautiful presentation that this nib is capable of. If you ask me, the .6 is perfect... the 1.1 norm for stubs/italics is too broad for general writing tasks, but the .6 gives your writing an elegant flair without taking up too much real estate on the paper.

Btw, I haven't had any cracking with my Singularities, either. :)

- Anthony

Hi Kelly, et al,

THANK YOU MUCH FOR THIS REVIEW! I have two or three Singularities and really like them a lot... especially for the price! You reviewed the very one I've been considering... the clear aqua with the stub nib; the ones I'm using now are opaque with standard tipped nibs.

Thank you, especially for the detailed writing sample... it really showcases the beautiful presentation that this nib is capable of. If you ask me, the .6 is perfect... the 1.1 norm for stubs/italics is too broad for general writing tasks, but the .6 gives your writing an elegant flair without taking up too much real estate on the paper.

Btw, I haven't had any cracking with my Singularities, either. :)

- Anthony

I love the stub nib so much I bought another nib to go with a Jinhao I ordered at the same time! I am actually loving Nemosine (and only 75% of that is pure geek love).

I think the cracking may be due not to torquing the threads, but posting on the ever so slightly tapered barrel. I've opted not to post mine in case my hypothesis is correct. So far I love it and have no problems. I had to refill it today even!

Try this - get an O ring from goulet designed for the preppy (I have yet to figure out what specific O ring they use, theirs are so thin compared to every other one I've seen online or at the hardware stores) and put it on the barrel threads, it'll add just enough friction to prevent that from happening.

Try this - get an O ring from goulet designed for the preppy (I have yet to figure out what specific O ring they use, theirs are so thin compared to every other one I've seen online or at the hardware stores) and put it on the barrel threads, it'll add just enough friction to prevent that from happening.

Thanks. I'll add that to my next order, and give it a try.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

• 2 weeks later...

I got a singularity in solid blue with an M nib from Nemosine for free, presumably as an apology for the two week delay in shipping my inks.

I bloody love this pen. I swapped in one of their 0.6 stubs I have since that's more my style and it's just a stunning writer (the M nib was also a stunning writer, excellently smooth, but I am just an F-EF/flex writer when I'm not using stubs. Filled with with their blue snowball nebula and it writes every single time I've picked it up over two weeks, no drying out or hard starts, even with a glitter ink.

The balance is great, the grip section is absolutely perfect for my large hands and thin fingers, the clip is FANTASTIC, it's a hair short for my hands but posted it's absolutely perfect

As for the unscrew problem, I don't have the issue. I noticed it once when I first screwed the barrel down, but after that I gave it a TINY bit of extra twist (not wrenching on it) until you feel it just sort of "creak" once or twice, and i don't really wrench the cap down on any of my pens, so I've yet to have it happen again.

As a test, I just screwed and unscrewed the cap 40 times in a row, tightening it quite tight. since I screwed the barrel on reasonably tightly, it didn't even come slightly loose.

If you really have a problem, get a preppy O ring from goulet. Hell, if your pen is a demonstrator, convert it to eyedropper too!

This pen is definitely going into my daily rotation. I might pick up another one in a clear color for eyedropper purposes. I'm unbelievably impressed for a $20 pen that comes with a converter, can use standard long or short cartridges AND can be eyedroppered, as well as coming in an unheard of variety of nib sizes.

Edited by Honeybadgers