The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Replacement Cap For Esterbrook J In Green

esterbrook cap green frankenpen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IndigoFiberCottage

IndigoFiberCottage

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2017 - 22:27

Hello, I recently bought a nice enough Esterbrook J pen body with an intact bottom jewel and a 1554 nib in decent shape. Only trouble is, this pen had no cap. I've been looking on eBay and Etsy for folks that have a cap to sell with no luck. FPN looked like a great place to advertise for said cap, but I'm not allowed to post in classifieds until I'm a Gold Member. So, I'm asking here if anyone has a spare parts cap that they are willing to sell at a fair price. If push comes to shove, I am willing to buy a cap that doesn't match color-wise and just call it a Frankenpen! I just want to have a complete pen in hand some day. I had success with putting a new sac in an Esterbrook desk pen, so with that under my belt, I wanted to also gain experience by putting a new sac in this pen. However, a pen without a cap... Thank you FPN members for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:08

Warning, you need to have a source of dry heat.

Some Esterbrook sections are hard stuck in the body, and need the assistance of heat to "slightly" soften the body so that the section can be removed.

And when I say "slightly" I mean slightly and carefully.  Too much heat and you will soften and bend the pen, or even ignite the pen  :(

Look on eBay for junkers that may have a good cap.

That is how I get my spare parts.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 IndigoFiberCottage

IndigoFiberCottage

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2017 - 16:13

Yes, the section in this pen is stuck in there well and good! I've used my hair dryer to gently heat that area but it is being SO stubborn! The section turns and comes out about 1 or 2 mm but it won't come out any further. I used a q-tip to push some silicone grease into the gap then used the hair dryer heat to maybe let the grease ooze down into the stuck area but that hasn't helped yet.  

I have looked at eBay for spare parts pens, but on the ones I've seen so far, it's the caps that are bad. I keep looking, though!

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2017 - 22:56

What color did you need?

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:21

What color did you need?

Avocado mackerel streaker.
Esterbrook called it green.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:35

Avocado mackerel streaker.
Esterbrook called it green.

Ahhh...it helps to actually read the topic title.  I may only have the Sage Swirl, but it could be close...

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 21:26

Ahhh...it helps to actually read the topic title.  I may only have the Sage Swirl, but it could be close...

You know how to determine if you have a Sage Swirl...

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, cap, green, frankenpen

Sponsored Content

|