Silicone Grease

lawrenceloklok

Can I use the following grease to seal my eyedropper pen? Although the purpose of this grease is for electronic devices use.

post-136037-0-62699600-1498561568_thumb.png

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lawrenceloklok

• MZajklo

• Beechwood

• Glenn Atkins

I am not familiar with this product. It does not specify 100% silicon. Any number of chemicals, including petroleum derivatives, are reactive with plastics. In such cases, the "seal" is temporary.

Eyedropper nightmare !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am not familiar with this product. It does not specify 100% silicon. Any number of chemicals, including petroleum derivatives, are reactive with plastics. In such cases, the "seal" is temporary.

Eyedropper nightmare !

There details of the product is in the following link.

http://weclonline.com/tchi/productdetail.asp?id=50128708

Click Product Catalogue

Eyedropper nightmare !

I know there is a risk, so I am seeking advise. But I have no choice, it is difficult to find silicone grease in Hong Kong! And the cost of online shop is high, it is not worth buying 5 dollars stuff with 20dollars transportation cost.:-( Edited by lawrenceloklok

But I have no choice, it is difficult to find silicone grease in Hong Kong!

Nope! Go Mongkok around Nathan Rd there's lots of Radio Control model shops.

Buy some silicone grease for RC car differential, try 50,000 or 100,000wt if you want really sticky stiff grease for use in sealing threads.

I use something lighter eg 7,000wt for lubricating moving parts like a piston & screwthread.

For o-rings I prime them with silicon oil, also used in RC shock absorbers ;)

You will want to buy the Silicone Grease which can use with the o-rings and 100% pure Silicone

If you try to search Silicone Grease for Scuba Diving will be the one you need

Something like

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Silicone-Grease-100-Pure-Lubricant-2oz-Camera-Scuba-Dive-O-Rings-Automotive-/332049690744?hash=item4d4fb43078:g:vdIAAOSwux5YP9kw

or

http://www.divers-supply.com/mcnett-silicone-grease-25oz.html

or

http://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/5g-O-ring-Lube-Maintenance-Grease-Silicone-Lubricant-for-Waterproof-Scuba-Diving-/181586201060?hash=item2a476189e4:g:uJkAAOSwHoFXqY-o

you only need 0.25oz and can be use for a long time so try to looking for the diving equipment company in Hong Kong and you may able to find it.

Or you can try taobao ( 淘宝 ) if you have a account and it will be cheaper.

I will take a look of them, but is my silicone grease fine?

Edited by lawrenceloklok

You will want to buy the Silicone Grease which can use with the o-rings and 100% pure Silicone

If you try to search Silicone Grease for Scuba Diving will be the one you need

Something like

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Silicone-Grease-100-Pure-Lubricant-2oz-Camera-Scuba-Dive-O-Rings-Automotive-/332049690744?hash=item4d4fb43078:g:vdIAAOSwux5YP9kw

or

http://www.divers-supply.com/mcnett-silicone-grease-25oz.html

or

http://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/5g-O-ring-Lube-Maintenance-Grease-Silicone-Lubricant-for-Waterproof-Scuba-Diving-/181586201060?hash=item2a476189e4:g:uJkAAOSwHoFXqY-o

you only need 0.25oz and can be use for a long time so try to looking for the diving equipment company in Hong Kong and you may able to find it.

Or you can try taobao ( 淘宝 ) if you have a account and it will be cheaper.

The transportation of silicone grease from China to Hong Kong is strictly forbidden.

You need to check the link provided above. If it's anything but 100% silicone, then no.

Cheers

The link is for what?

Not often that you find a post that manages to be abrupt and rude all within 5 words.

The link gave you an address in Lockhart Road of a company that sells silicone grease that is suitable as a seal for an eyedropper pen.

You're welcome.

• 5 weeks later...

...it is difficult to find silicone grease in Hong Kong!

I'd look at the hardware store, somewhere that sells plumbing supplies.

Only buy something that says 100% silicone. If it says it's mold resistant, do not buy it.

Also, you can go on Facebook and pose the question to this group, they are very knowledgeable, friendly, and extremely helpful:

"

鋼筆﹑自動鉛筆情報局(香港) Fountain Pen Intelligence Agency (Hong Kong)

"

I can stop any time.

-Me

Hi, I haven't bought servisol in a while, but it was a white dielectric grease. Not bad for heatsinks, but very different properties from the silicon grease you want.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Servisol silicone grease MSDS.

When in doubt, a Google search will usually turn up a technical data sheet, an MSDS or both, which will tell you what is in the stuff. This appears to be silicone grease, not heat sink compound.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

..but I agree with you, silicone heat sink compound wouldn't be good. My comment about checking for an MSDS wasn't directed to you so much as to say to those who were asking that the answer is easy to find in most cases. I end up doing a Google search half the time myself.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Servisol silicone grease MSDS.

When in doubt, a Google search will usually turn up a technical data sheet, an MSDS or both, which will tell you what is in the stuff. This appears to be silicone grease, not heat sink compound.

Thanks Ron, I've bought items from this Company before so I know their prices are keen and they provide a good service. :)