• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elysee

• Linedog

• Algester

• flatline

fpn_1503811876__img_0727.jpg

Please forgive the eraser shaving between "Oscar" and "Wilde" in the picture above; I did not notice it until I was trimming the picture.

fpn_1503814123__img_0740.jpg

The best erasers are the white erasers rather than the pink erasers: the pink erasers smear many types of leads, and the white erasers are better at clearing errors without smearing the lead and with minimal ghosting of the original writing. The white erasers are also non-abrasive: I have used them to remove sticky residue left behind by stickers. Most recently, I used my Pentel Tri Eraser to remove sticker residue left behind on my new-old-stock Waterman Gentleman Burgundy fountain pen after I removed the "B" sticker. The eraser cleanly removed the gummy residue and it did not harm the beautiful lacquer.

I prefer stick erasers as they provide more control than block erasers. The image above includes three examples of click-top erasers holders, each containing white erasers; my Uni TouchMatic eraser has a finer point than these. Several companies including Pentel make white block erasers; some companies make white erasers in other shapes as well.

The Pentel Sharp Kerry comes in many colors; you can examine some on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pentel+sharp+kerry&sprefix=pentel+sh%2Caps%2C139&crid=3TY49IH9RSPK0; look for the Pentel Sharp Kerrys on the pages as Amazon's search is not always efficient. While the majority of the colors are for the 0.5 mm pencil, there is a 0.7 mm model (blue or black) as well.

The Pentel web site, http://www.pentel.com/store/sharp-kerry-mechanical-pencil-p1035-7, does not seem to list the special edition colors. The Pentel online catalog, http://pentel.global.ssl.fastly.net/store/media/ee/images/uploads/2017_Pentel_Product_Guide_small.pdf, does not seem to list them either. However, you will find some listed on Amazon. JetPens, https://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Sharp-Kerry-Mechanical-Pencils/ct/356?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjY_HrvT21QIVSzyBCh0qSQEpEAAYASAAEgLLj_D_BwE, lists eight, two colors (blue and black) for the 0.7 mm pencil and six colors for the 0.5 mm pencil. If you do a Google search for "pentel sharp kerry special edition" then you can examine pictures of some of the Pentel Sharp Kerry special edition colors and regular colors.

I like these pencils as they are compact when capped; when the cap is posted, the pencil is a top-button-actuated pencil. Each model (0.5 mm lead and 0.7 mm lead) has a nice lead sleeve (at the writing end -- fixed in place, not retractable) as well as a solid click when capping the pencil and posting the cap as well as a nice lead reservoir; the pencil works well even when over-filled. I must admit that I have several colors of the 0.5 mm pencil including some special edition colors and the 0.7 mm pencil in both blue and black; I have a brown 0.5 mm pencil in my car too.

The Pentel Sharp Kerry has been around for many years. I purchased my first ones during graduate school; I still have them today (one of them is the brown one in my car) and they work fine.

Edited by elysee

The Pentel Sharp Kerry comes in many colors; you can examine some on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pentel+sharp+kerry&sprefix=pentel+sh%2Caps%2C139&crid=3TY49IH9RSPK0; look for the Pentel Sharp Kerrys on the pages as Amazon's search is not always efficient. While the majority of the colors are for the 0.5 mm pencil, there is a 0.7 mm model (blue or black) as well.

The Pentel web site, http://www.pentel.com/store/sharp-kerry-mechanical-pencil-p1035-7, does not seem to list the special edition colors. The Pentel online catalog, http://pentel.global.ssl.fastly.net/store/media/ee/images/uploads/2017_Pentel_Product_Guide_small.pdf, does not seem to list them either. However, you will find some listed on Amazon. JetPens, https://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Sharp-Kerry-Mechanical-Pencils/ct/356?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjY_HrvT21QIVSzyBCh0qSQEpEAAYASAAEgLLj_D_BwE, lists eight, two colors (blue and black) for the 0.7 mm pencil and six colors for the 0.5 mm pencil. If you do a Google search for "pentel sharp kerry special edition" then you can examine pictures of some of the Pentel Sharp Kerry special edition colors and regular colors.

I like these pencils as they are compact when capped; when the cap is posted, the pencil is a top-button-actuated pencil. Each model (0.5 mm lead and 0.7 mm lead) has a nice lead sleeve (at the writing end -- fixed in place, not retractable) as well as a solid click when capping the pencil and posting the cap as well as a nice lead reservoir; the pencil works well even when over-filled. I must admit that I have several colors of the 0.5 mm pencil including some special edition colors and the 0.7 mm pencil in both blue and black; I have a brown 0.5 mm pencil in my car too.

The Pentel Sharp Kerry has been around for many years. I purchased my first ones during graduate school; I still have them today (one of them is the brown one in my car) and they work fine.

I have one with a 5 on the cap.

Is that the older model??

OK now I'm gonna get picky, looking for a heavy .07, preferably metal body. Eraser need not be attached, points added if it is. I have been living on JetPens and eBay but not findining anything that really trips my trigger. I'd like to hear your favorite that fits my desires.

Pop Tarts and gravy, It's whats for breakfast.

I presume you mean 0.7mm. What budget? Do you want a writing or drafting pencil?

The Rotring 600 and Kaweco Brass Sport are obvious heavier candidates. There are also the mega-bucks Grav von Faber Castell, Caran d'Ache or Pelikan Dx00 pencils if you want something really nice.

I can't really advise you on my favourite, I'm afraid, since I like lighter pencils.

If you find yourself at a pen show, take a look at the Franklin-Christoph Stockton.

I think I like it, but I can't recommend it without some precautions, because it is pretty heavy (a little top heavy) and I sometimes feel a little bit of a wobble at the point where you rotate it to advance the lead. (can't describe it any better)

edit: I've also heard that Rotring Rapid Pro and TWSBI Precision are fairly heavy.

Edited by inotrym

Metal body, 0,7 and heavy, I'd add the Staedtler 925-07 (good for drawing and writing, no retractable point) and the Pentel Graphgear 1000 (better for drawing, retractable point, incredible clip). Both not expensive.

Chiara

PS Elysee, your pencils are such beauties!