I'm Sorry I Doubted You.

Being a devout Fountain Pen user (Lamy, Esterbrook, Parker) I am forced to write on cheap copy paper at work. I would write in my journal at lunch to remind myself how nice a good pen and paper truly can be. I have finally made the jump to mechanical pencils and am truly impressed. My first and only pencil so far is a Uni Kuru Toga pencil, started with HB lead I am currently using 2B lead. Looking for a good eraser, and next pencil, what do you fine folks suggest I purchase next?

Pop Tarts and gravy, It's whats for breakfast.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elysee

• Linedog

• Algester

• flatline

The Pentel Sharp Kerry is always my first recommendation. It's a classy, robust, and comfortable pencil that isn't very expensive but it manages to get just about everything right. Most importantly, it's pocket safe. Even better, when capped, it's shorter than a typical mechanical pencil which helps make it pocket comfortable. These add up to mean you'll actually have it with you when you need a pencil.

There are lots of other good pencils, but I can't think of any that I feel comfortable universally recommending to anyone like I do the Kerry.

Pentel s10 and s20 are great pencils if you don't need something pocket safe. The s10 is something special since it is a bottom heavy pencil with great knurling (for those of us who like bottom heavy pencils, there are relatively few out there). The s20 is less special since it's balanced more towards the center which is pretty common, but it's a beautiful pencil that's extremely comfortable to use and is made of uncommon materials for a mechanical pencil. The inside mechanism is the same for both pencils and is awesome.

If you're feeling a little adventurous, you could pick up a 2mm lead holder (aka "clutch pencil"). I have a dozen of various brands and styles and I like them all. The Staedtler Mars Technico, Sanford Turquoise, and Rotring 300 2mm lead holders are usually my first recommendations.

There are lots of good brands out there and each brand offers dozens of different models. I suggest that you pick up some inexpensive pencils in various lead sizes to determine which lead sizes you like best.

If you're used to buying fountain pens, then all these pencils will seem dirt cheap to you. Enjoy it!

--flatline

You've opened another can of worms.

The Pentel P203, 205, 207, 209 are inexpensive, durable and I think attractive. I have one 40 years old. The P205 (0.5) has the greatest lead variety.

You can find very expensive pencils but like fountain pens they just move lead/ink.

At some point I might consider and look for a pencil to match some of your pens. Asking in your pen forums might give you some information if the pencils are easy to find (I got a couple when I bought the vintage pen) and lead easy to find.

And you can always go off into pencils. Yes wood pencils. The Blackwing brand? Has a following. I like the one with the softest lead. It is very smooth and dark. Pencils made in Japan or India also have followings. And then you get the joy of finding the perfect sharpener.

A less expensive addiction but one none the less.

--Oh and I really like Bullet Pencils. They are from the 40-50's+ and were mostly used to advertise farm supplies, parks, towns. They use the nubs of pencils or you cut down regular ones. They work great in a pocket. There are newer versions, beautiful, more expensive but I find them too heavy. I like lighter FPs too

• 3 weeks later...

If you can find them, Pentel P225 is nice. There is something about them that I cannot quite know how to describe. Use mine with eno-G 4B lead.

Being a devout Fountain Pen user (Lamy, Esterbrook, Parker) I am forced to write on cheap copy paper at work. I would write in my journal at lunch to remind myself how nice a good pen and paper truly can be. I have finally made the jump to mechanical pencils and am truly impressed. My first and only pencil so far is a Uni Kuru Toga pencil, started with HB lead I am currently using 2B lead. Looking for a good eraser, and next pencil, what do you fine folks suggest I purchase next?

You're already there pencil-wise: The Uni Kuru Toga with good quality 2B lead. All I can suggest is buying a higher quality Kuru Toga (e.g. the "Roulette" model), or try out the new improved "Advanced" version:

https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Kuru-Toga-Advance-Mechanical-Pencils/ct/4274

Quoting Jetpens: "This Kuru Toga Advance features an updated "W Speed" mechanism, which rotates the lead twice as fast as standard Kuru Toga pencils so that the lead gets sharpened twice as quickly. Standard Kuru Toga pencils rotate the lead once every 40 strokes, while the Kuru Toga Advance rotates the lead once every 20 strokes. The Advance's mechanism also features metal parts for smoother, more reliable performance. The Advance also features a sliding lead sleeve (guide pipe) that protects the lead as you write. As you write and the lead gets shorter, the sleeve slides into the pencil, getting shorter along with the lead."

As for erasers: I'm not picky as long as the eraser is plastic, works well, and doesn't smudge. I use pen/stick erasers for most work, they're easier to control and carry.

Here's a whole assortment of stick erasers to choose from:

https://www.jetpens.com/Pen-Stick-Style-Erasers/ct/1380

This new guy looks interesting:

https://www.jetpens.com/Tombow-Mono-One-Dust-Catch-Holder-Eraser/pd/17938

I use an eraser shield. It gives me complete control. If you do precise work, once you get used to using one of these you'll always have one around:

https://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Stainless-Steel-Erasing-Shield/dp/B000HF6VK6

That's it from me. Good luck :)

David

My oh my, this is fun. Now I can write on any paper and not have to clean out my nib!!! Getting ready to place an order from JetPens, I keep adding then subtracting from it, I just need to place it and wait.

For the kuro-toga advance "w speed (pronounced double speed)" its first debut with the pipe slide kuro-toga but wasnt advertised as such

Other than that my good feeling mechanical pencils will still go to

Pilot S20, Tombow Z505, Monograph and Monograph Zero, Pentel Graph Gear 500, Zebra Delguard-LX

With a Pilot neox-Graphite yes it has to have the G lead 2B or HB for general purpose F will also work

I'm enjoying the Zebra Delguard pencil. Not because of the 2 mechanisms that make it hard to break your lead, but just because it's a comfortable pencil to use.

--flatline

I got a Uni Kuru Toga free when jetpens.com had a giveaway when you ordered enough. It was the only one left of the four offered.

I read up on it, and was glad to get the Uni Kuru Toga, because of how it rotates the lead so it never gets a flat side.

cwpencils.com has a lot of information on erasers. They don't stock mechanical pencils, but have lots and lots of pencils, plus sharpeners and erasers.

The eraser information is in the blog section. I hope this link works

https://cwpencils.com/blogs/news/guide-to-erasers

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Oh and I put the Autopoint mechanical pencil on my Jet Pens wishlist because it's made in the USA.

Posted Image

I was a happy man when I discovered plastic erasers. So much better. Staedtler Mars or Faber Castell plastic ones for me.

I use 0.5mm pencils for pretty much everything but if I'm honest, I find 0.7mm is better for writing. Plus there is a big difference between drafting pencils and writing pencils; the Pentel GraphGear 1000 is an awesome drafting pencil but I find horrible for writing with because of the shape and the balance. So choose your pencil depending accordingly.

I would echo the Pentel Kerry as a great choice for a do-everything pencil. I carry one most days. Everyone should (and probably does already) have a Pentel P205 in their possession, since it's fantastic, and it's cheap so it's a good option in the office for when someone "borrows" it.

I could recommend more pencils, but to be honest even the premium ones are so cheap in comparison with fountain pens, so you can buy a handful and experiment.

For the kuro-toga advance "w speed (pronounced double speed)" its first debut with the pipe slide kuro-toga but wasnt advertised as such

Other than that my good feeling mechanical pencils will still go to

Pilot S20, Tombow Z505, Monograph and Monograph Zero, Pentel Graph Gear 500, Zebra Delguard-LX

With a Pilot neox-Graphite yes it has to have the G lead 2B or HB for general purpose F will also work

The Kuro Toga Pipe-Slide and the Advance pencils seem almost identical in form and function, even the prices are close. So what's the big difference between the two? Maybe the rotation mechanism in the Advance is made of metal instead of plastic? Comparison:

* Uni Kuru Toga Advance Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm - Black $7.75

https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Kuru-Toga-Advance-Mechanical-Pencil-0.5-mm-Black/pd/21019

* Uni Kuru Toga Auto Lead Rotation Mechanical Pencil - Pipe Slide - 0.5 mm - Black $7.50

https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Kuru-Toga-Auto-Lead-Rotation-Mechanical-Pencil-Pipe-Slide-0.5-mm-Black/pd/15067

Sooooo I left my Kuro at home the other day and thought I would have to grab a crayon to use at work. But lo and behold I find a box of Skilcraft 0.7 pencils so I grab one and go to town. Well I'm impressed (Not hard obviously) by this little freebe, writes well and I'm not breaking lead like I did with my Kuro 0.5. So what do I do, hit eBay and ordered a Kuro and a Pentel Kerry both in 0.7. Would the thickness of the lead be a factor in less breakage, I am a bit heavy handed.

• 2 weeks later...

I always used to work with the Pentel p207. But I've recently put Uni NanoDia 0.5 mm leads in my Pentel p205 and I now prefer this over the 0.7mm. Great lead !

My treasured beauty however is the original, silver plated & pin striped, push button operated Caran d'Ache Madison. Best looking pencil ever imo.

Edited by Stef

• 2 weeks later...

I always used to work with the Pentel p207. But I've recently put Uni NanoDia 0.5 mm leads in my Pentel p205 and I now prefer this over the 0.7mm. Great lead !

My treasured beauty however is the original, silver plated & pin striped, push button operated Caran d'Ache Madison. Best looking pencil ever imo.

pic!

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

pic!

Below is a pic linked right from the official Caran D'Ache web store. The last time I looked, the GP Madison ballpoints and pencils went for around $200-$250 street price as new. Sold as used these go for a lot less. Clip styles can vary. I remember seeing a Madison ballpoint with a sword clip, most have straight clips.

* Gold-plated Madison Ciselé Mechanical Pencil:

https://store.carandache.com/ch/782-large/madison2-p-mine-cisele-plor.jpg

madison2-p-mine-cisele-plor.jpg

Many do not realize just how enjoyable writing with a mechanical pencil filled with the right leads can be. Mechanical pencils can provide similar tactile smoothness to fountain pens as well as an enjoyable writing experience on even the roughest or cheapest paper.

Starting with the image below, I will share some of my beautiful pencils with you; I will include a writing sample and state the type of lead used in each pencil in the picture. While the majority of my pencils take 0.7 mm lead, some of my pencils take 0.9 mm lead, 0.5 mm lead, or 1.18 mm lead. I prefer 2B lead for my 0.7 mm pencils and my 0.9 mm pencils. For my 0.5 mm pencils, I use 2B, 3B, or 4B lead. For my 1.18 mm pencils, I use electrographic leads or Durolite Mark Sense leads.

In the last picture that I post, I will include some stick erasers and some comments about erasers.

I hope that you will enjoy these beautiful pencils. : )

fpn_1503811636__img_0717.jpg

Including the picture above, there are seven pictures.

Edited by elysee