M200 Smoky Quartz

BillH

Would be great if you can update us on how it all goes! I wonder how they will react and what they will say! :o

I am going to PW Akkerman on Wednesday and will let you know!

Edited by arthurm

MB 146

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• BillH

• Ayami_109

• TheRealMikeDr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Ayami,

Thanks for your reply. I have posted the pen indeed, but I still find it a pity that I can see all those scratches after four days of using it, and to be fairly honest I am disappointed by the quality. And there's another scratch at the center of the barrel as you can see.

I understand your concern. All of my Pelikans get those scratches. Some sooner than others. My M200 Cafe Creme had visible micro scratches within a week; my M605 Marine Blue is still surprisingly pristine after three months. I have the impression that the M200 line has softer resin, but I may be wrong. Given its price, that would be disappointing. I find the M2xx line overpriced anyway.

That said, I like the workhorse aspect of the M2xx line - the scratches do not affect performance, and add a bit of patina over time that I'm comfortable with.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Semi-Chrome will finger polish those 'mars' out. Then wax the pen. That is a lot of scratches for 4 days.

I've had a few pens out of many with mars, that polish out fine. Then in I wax my pens never had a mar since. Outside if it's a Large pen, I always post my pens.

CARNAUBA CAR WAX will do.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have only used my M120 three times now (each time written empty from a single fill), but now have the typical mars just past the ink window and a ring at the other end from posting. One itty bitty scrape on the barrel from i don't know what, but that one is my fault. The others are from the cap. Also noticeable on my M1000, though I did purchase that used. Very noticeable on the ink windows of the M101N pens I have (though where it posts on the piston knob means I don't have to worry about a ring from posting).

I got an email a few days ago saying mine had been shipped. Was hoping it would show up today, but no joy. Tomorrow or Monday then. I can wait. Although I may not pre-order the next one.

Still waiting for notification from LCdC on my pen and ink. I did get notice today that they have shipped me an Ivory Duofold Centenial that I snagged for nearly 1/2 price on close out. I ha've been lusting over this pen for years. Seems I got the very last one. Sooo..I'm disappointed not to hear on the m200, but very very excited to recieve the Ivory Duofold.( takes small things to occupy small minds🙃

takes small things to occupy small minds🙃

My mind must be very small indeed 😳

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Got my fine nib and screwed it in today - the line looks to be nearly identical to the ef line, although it's a bit smoother. Seems the steel nibs run a little less-wet than the gold ones (from my limited experience) - is that, generally speaking, the case?

Seems the steel nibs run a little less-wet than the gold ones (from my limited experience) - is that, generally speaking, the case?

I've found that to be generally the case between my M200s and M400s. Although the broad on my Aquamarine M205 is pretty wet, so it's not a hard and fast rule.

Steel nib or gold plated 200 nibs are 1/2 a width narrower than the modern 400/600 so will be therefore a bit dryer.

I had my 600's BB made into a 1.0 stub so was writing with a wetter wider nib than my many M or F 200 or '90-97 nib pens. (all of which are the same width as a 200 or a 200 is the same width as the '90-97 pens)

Avoiding the fatter blobbier post 98 nibs would expect them to write wider being wider nibs.....wider often = wetter.

Of course when you get into the semi-flex era '50-65, those nibs will run wetter due to being stubs and having more ease of tine spread and bend....be the same width though.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

This is a picture of mine!

Nice! Thanks for showing.

:W2FPN:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Good luck at Akkerman Today. Curious what they say about your complaint.

Just came back from PW Akkerman. They managed to polish out the scratches from the barrel :)

From now on, I won't post my pen anymore :P

MB 146

Wax the Pen!!!!!! :thumbup: :happyberet:

Un-posted it don't have any good balance.!!!!!!!! :angry: :wacko:

It is a Standard sized pen, which IMO has to be posted to have balance.....or it's too short.

What other pens do you have..............???

First rule..... you are letting your fountain pen rest behind the big index knuckle??? Like one should with a fountain pen, and not holding it in front of the big index knuckle like a ball point????

If you hold a fountain pen like a ball point....it don't have to be posted, nor will it have any balance at all of course.....and you will make little grand canyons in the paper. The ink will not flow well in too little of the nib tipping is touching the paper.

With out posting, if you hold your fountain pen like a fountain pen, you will find a Standard sized pen to be too small. Be that a 200/400, Esterbrook, Pre-war Vac or any other standard pens...P-75 a standard pen with absolutely great balance posted.

Wearevers, Sheaffers, Waterman, of the standard size era, will be too short un-posted.

Medium-large pens that have real good balance posted, P-51, Pelikan 600. Mediocre balance un-posted.

Wax the pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

I have a couple of the other M200 demonstrators. They are pretty lightweight. I always post any pen that will post, but I suppose that you have to post this one. I like having a pen where you can see the works without disassembly.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Just came back from PW Akkerman. They managed to polish out the scratches from the barrel :)

Im glad that they could polish out the scratches for you.

I don't post any of my pens. Just my quirky way. This size pen, just barely fits in my hand comfortably . So all of my pens are the same, longer, or fatter than an M200.

I'm excited to recieve my Smoky Quartz M200.

By the way, has anyone had trouble cleaning a pen with Smoky Quartz Ink in it? I had filled a P-45 with it. It wrote just fine, no problems there. but, it's now the third day of soaking / flushing in water and the section is still not running clear. Next step is pen flush.

Im glad that they could polish out the scratches for you.

I don't post any of my pens. Just my quirky way. This size pen, just barely fits in my hand comfortably . So all of my pens are the same, longer, or fatter than an M200.

I'm excited to recieve my Smoky Quartz M200.

By the way, has anyone had trouble cleaning a pen with Smoky Quartz Ink in it? I had filled a P-45 with it. It wrote just fine, no problems there. but, it's now the third day of soaking / flushing in water and the section is still not running clear. Next step is pen flush.

Centrifugal force! I have had some stubborn inks in my 45 and I would submerge the section in a shot glass with the nib removed and let it soak a bit. Then I would take it out and wrap it in a paper towel and sling it as hard as I could like I was throwing a baseball or something. Did this three times or so and the started over with submerging it. Repeat a few times till it slings clean water. Never bought any pen flush, but I have ammonia on hand for when it is needed.

Centrifugal force! I have had some stubborn inks in my 45 and I would submerge the section in a shot glass with the nib removed and let it soak a bit. Then I would take it out and wrap it in a paper towel and sling it as hard as I could like I was throwing a baseball or something. Did this three times or so and the started over with submerging it. Repeat a few times till it slings clean water. Never bought any pen flush, but I have ammonia on hand for when it is needed.

Thanks Eric, this is the third day of my doing that very thing. Its pretty clean now, and I didn't use any of my home made pen flush. I did have the ink in the pen for about month, so maybe that had something to do with it...lol..

Very glad it turned out well. What did they use to polish it?