Sterling Silver Fountain Pen

natsw

Hi there,

For someone without a decent pen (or even a single fountain pen!), I do seem to spend a lot of time browsing these forums...

I am here with a "how long is a piece of string" type question. But I would really value people's opinions.

I have my 25th wedding anniversary coming up, and would like to buy my husband a solid silver pen. He will be a FP newbie, but he expressed more than a passing interest when I was researching pens for my b-i-l and godson. I originally had a budget of £100-200 but that has crept up to max £250. After quite a lot of research on this forum, I have narrowed my choices down to:

• Parker Sonnet Cisele with either the Chrome or Gold trim
  • Cross Century II
  • A vintage Scheaffer Imperial
  • A Pilot Grance NC

We both love vintage things but I am slightly nervous about buying a vintage pen unseen/untried as he can get quite obsessive about defects in things.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on any of these pens. He has a Waterman Expert ballpoint which he loves but the silver Waterman FPs are outside my budget.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• natsw

• Bo Bo Olson

• ParkerDuofold

• sandy101

I find the Cross Century slim and slippery but my Brother-in-Law swears by them.

I'm not a big Sonnet fan, I prefer their "75"s.

Can't address the Pilot.

BUT...

http://www.fototime.com/9A1D07351BE7C1E/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2BD6D8A9812C02B/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/979251D88515918/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B15294D787EF45B/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/6ED1DED0B9D8597/standard.jpg

My Website

I would avoid vintage in this instance - especially If condition is important. Not all pen sellers know what they are selling - frequently they are pens that have turned up in a deceased relative's drawer and they may or may not be functional.

That said, the classifieds section here doesn't seem too bad.

I have a Cross Century 2 - the advantage of the Cross pens is they come with a lifetime warranty - so if it goes wrong you can send it back and get it repaired free of charge. You'll want to get a convertor with it as Cross cartridges are rather pricey and limited in range of colour. I think the sterling Silver version comes with an 18K gold nib - which is lovely to play with.

I have a cheaper Parker Sonnet. it's not a terrible pen, but over all a bit meh. Perhaps the more expensive trim and gold nib offers a better experience. The Sonnet is average.

Edited by sandy101

Peyton Street Pens has two sterling silver Targas currently listed. Teri knows what she is selling, and the 1006 is New Old Stock. Both are priced at $200.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

P-75, back when I was a 20 pen 'noobie' I checked my pens for balance, and the P-75 a standard sized pen, posted it was one of my three with perfect balance. It is for a sterling silver pen, light, nimble and solidly made. It comes with an areomatic filler, can take a cartridge and 'newly' :) a converter.....Converters were not made way back then.

You can find the width you wish.

It is a grand classic of fountain pens.

I was very lucky, buying one for $22 silver dollars back @ 1970. The price of silver of course has risen much since then.....Well actually I paid in silver paper money...but could have gotten a silver dollar for each.

There is also the "P-75" ball point as a set. ($18 back in the When.)

The Sonnet has a mixed reputation, for many years here there were many complaints. none against the P-75, the 'ancestor' of the Sonnet.

I like the gunmetal patina they can develop if not polished to look like Chrome. :angry: :P

To me the gunmetal patina is more 'silvery' than a shinny one.....but you can shine one up easy.

The cross hatched appearance is called Cisele.

Sorry I don't have a picture of mine, but they are easy to find.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

here's the cisele sonnet:

5377956326_f29b7c99b6_b.jpg

and the cisele 75 (this one had the rare metal screw on the section):

9252710120_503409dc8d_b.jpg

i'd go for the sterling targa myself. here's mine, a 1004 with a stub nib:

5936180034_401729b6c7_b.jpg

targas are vintage, but you can still find them near-mint, and converters are cheap (for the normal-sized ones; don't go for the slender targas) ;)

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

Wow @Jar, you've got some seriously beautiful pens there! I must admit that, as per @Sandy101 's comment I am a little bit worried about going vintage in this instance; which counts out the Scheaffer and the P75. The slimness of the Cross was also a slight concern for me.

Another nice collection there @penmanila ! I am off to check out that shop @corgicoupe - I was avoiding US shops because I only have about 10 days. That's me and my disorganisation for you. That was also working against the Yard O Led's @Mastiff.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Edited by natsw

The Cross Century 2 is not as slim as the Cross Century.

That said, the grip is not as big as on other pens.

Mr Pen has a Sterling Silver pen. It is one of his Italix range - which means you will get a great nib.

It can be found here. I have 3 Italix pens, and they are lovely writers.

http://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d191.html#p1101

Thanks for that Sandy101. I'm off to check out Mr Pen. Had never even heard of Italix so will do some research there too.

Mr Pen has a Sterling Silver pen. It is one of his Italix range - which means you will get a great nib.

It can be found here. I have 3 Italix pens, and they are lovely writers.

http://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d191.html#p1101

Hi all,

I would wager this pen is made by Waldmann... they've been specializing in solid sterling pens since 1918... and all of their pens are made by hand in their factory in Southern Germany.

Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/I21M9RePItA

I own a Waldmann Tuscany Rose Gold Edition and it is a strikingly beautiful pen. When I contacted them inquiring why my pen didn't include a polishing cloth, the Director himself, responded and we had a very cordial and informative conversation. :)

I opted for the Tuscany model because I thought the gold and chocolate colors would complement my hair, eye and skin colors/tones. It is also just a gorgeous pen in its own right... and I had to have it. :D However, most of their models are pure silver. ;)

My ONLY complaint is it can be a little finicky about ink... it likes wet inks like Diamine; it will skip with some J. Herbin inks; however, the problem hasn't been bad enough to prompt me to send it in for adjustment. Waldmann provides a 10-year warranty with all of their pens.

I suggest you check into one... they are really exceptionally made pens. :)

Be well and I offer my congratulations on your family's milestone. :)

- Anthony

PS: Do not let the prices quoted in the video spook you... my Tuscany was only $180.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi all,

I would wager this pen is made by Waldmann... they've been specializing in solid sterling pens since 1918... and all of their pens are made by hand in their factory in Southern Germany.

Here's a video:

I own a Waldmann Tuscany Rose Gold Edition and it is a strikingly beautiful pen. When I contacted them inquiring why my pen didn't include a polishing cloth, the Director himself, responded and we had a very cordial and informative conversation. :)

I opted for the Tuscany model because I thought the gold and chocolate colors would complement my hair, eye and skin colors/tones. It is also just a gorgeous pen in its own right... and I had to have it. :D However, most of their models are pure silver. ;)

My ONLY complaint is it can be a little finicky about ink... it likes wet inks like Diamine; it will skip with some J. Herbin inks; however, the problem hasn't been bad enough to prompt me to send it in for adjustment. Waldmann provides a 10-year warranty with all of their pens.

I suggest you check into one... they are really exceptionally made pens. :)

Be well and I offer my congratulations on your family's milestone. :)

- Anthony

PS: Do not let the prices quoted in the video spook you... my Tuscany was only $180.

Thank you, that's very kind. I had looked at the Waldmanns as my husband and I have a long-standing relationship with Germany and he's a big fan of German watches. I sort of discounted them because of the steel, rather than gold, nibs. But maybe I should put them back in the mix.

Thank you, that's very kind. I had looked at the Waldmanns as my husband and I have a long-standing relationship with Germany and he's a big fan of German watches. I sort of discounted them because of the steel, rather than gold, nibs. But maybe I should put them back in the mix.

You're quite welcome. :)

Just to add... I have quite a few solid gold nibbed pens... and a lot of steel nibs, too, and believe it or not, a well crafted steel nib can really rival a gold nib. The nib on the Waldmann is one of those steel nibs.

I used to have the same qualms about spending so much on a steel nibbed pen when there are gold nibbed pens available that are actually cheaper! But it's all in the way it's made... I have steel nibs that perform better than a couple of my gold nibbed pens. :o

That said, I also completely understand your reservations about a steel nib as well as the allure and satisfaction of having a gold nib... and you have to be content with the pen you purchase or there will always be that "niggling something" in the back of your mind. I do understand. ;)

Whatever pen you choose... I hope you select the one that will give your husband great joy until it's time to replace it with a gold one, twenty-five years from now. God bless. :)

- Anthony

Wife wants to drive to the Waldmann factory some hour to hour and a half away and and pick and chose a pen for me....what my wife wants, I usually let her have her way. :happyberet:

I'd expect a butter smooth nib. Good steel is as good as good gold nibs, accent on good.....and it's the tipping that's wrote with.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What a lovely thought. I think a sterling silver fountain pen is a fabulous gift idea. I'd personally choose the Sheaffer but only because I love Sheaffers. Good luck with your choice and congratulations on your anniversary.

I have just bought a Sheaffer Legacy in sterling silver too. It's a fabulous pen, but I'm not sure if you would get one for £250. Maybe you would just about get a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage.

fpn_1498512871__2017-06-14_145803.jpg

the men in your life are very fortunate to have someone as generous and thoughtful as you - I'll swap places with them any day :D Hope you do settle on the right choice and am sure it will be appreciated.

incidentally, the answer to your question about the string is quite knowable, no matter how long the string - it's twice the length of the middle to one end. B)

One big caution on the older pens is the nib.

• The older US nibs were narrower than todays nibs.
    Example, my old US Parker M nib is similar to a current Lamy F nib.
  • There was and is no standard for nib sizes. Each company had their own table/scale of what the different sizes were.
    Example, I bought a Cross Century, with a F nib that was more like an XF nib, compared to my old US Parker, or a XXF compared to a current Lamy F nib.
  • And these definitions have changed over time for some companies. So even nibs from the same company but from different times, may size differently.
    Example, the Parker nibs of today are wider than the old US Parker nibs of the 1960s and prior.
  • Some pens (like the Parker 51) have no nib size marking, so you are dependent on the seller to determine what the nib size is and properly grade it. But who's scale to use, because all the manufacturers had different tables of what a nib size was.
  • And to complicate matters, pens with nib size marking on the PEN, not the NIB, could be incorrect. The nib may have been changed or replaced between manufacture and when you see it.
    Example, the Parker 45 nib size is stamped on the collar of the nib. If the nib is changed to a different size, the collar still shows the original nib size.
  • I have personally shifted to measuring the width of the tipping of MY pens, to avoid nib size confusion. So I KNOW how wide my nibs are, vs. he said xxxx.
  • On some pens (like the Parker 75) you can replace the nib (but the replacement nib may be HARD to find because they are long out of production), on others like the Sheaffer Targa the nib is NOT replaceable and you are stuck with whatever you bought.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Besides the all silver pen, Cross had a Century II, with a black laquer body, sterling silver cap, and gold nib. It is a nice looking pen :D

Actually there are several nice sliver pens that I would have a hard time picking ONE.

• The Parker 75 grid/cisele (penmanila has above) is a classic. That was Parker's flagship pen at the time. I will probably get one, one of these days.
  • I like the silver Sheaffer Targa in the pix that penmanila has above.
  • The Cross Century II, silver pens; all silver and black+silver.
  • Parker 180 and Classic. But these are slimline pens, that may be too slim for him.

gud luk in finding the pen

www.SFPenShow.com

Do not be afraid of steel nibs.

There is much talk about gold being "better" than stainless steel, and it can get quite personal with some people.

AFAIC it is talk, a good stainless steel nib is as good as a good gold nib. At least for how I write.

To me, a gold nib is about looks, nothing else. And that is what sells, so the manufacturer makes it.

And what is funny is they have some gold nibs that are plated with a silver colored metal. So you have a gold nib that looks like a polished stainless steel nib :lol:

The real important place is the tipping, as that is where the nib contacts the paper.

A gold nib could have a poor quality or shaped tipping than a stainless nib, and as a result will write poorly (in comparison).

So the tipping is very important.

The gold flex nibs are in the past. Though there are a couple companies making gold flex nibs today. But the jury is still out on them, as to how they compare to vintage flex.

www.SFPenShow.com