Parker Centennial Prototype

JBWD97

So first post and I've got something a bit out of the ordinary to ask, which so far is proving a bit of a challenge for me. I bought a slightly odd looking Parker Centennial on ebay a few days ago (I'll include the link at the bottom). From the photos it looked like a normal black Mk1 Centennial, but with a few things wrong with it the two main ones being the clip seemed to be of the original Duofold ball ended type, and the nib also appeared to be of a similar vintage. I thought that it might be cobbled together from old parts, or a custom job, but as it wasn't selling for much I put in a bid almost out of curiosity to just see what the thing was! Well it arrived today and the plot has only thickened, for starters it is very well put together, better than all but the best custom makers could mange, the clip also doesn't look quite right for a vintage one, the font is ever so slightly different. However the biggest enigma came in that the section does not unscrew! Despite some careful determination on my part it doesn't come undone, and indeed I am convinced it isn't supposed to. So the question I end up at is what is this? I have done a bit of my own research, but haven't found much, apart from this: http://www.heritagecollectables.com/parker-centennial/ which lists something similar as a prototype. However given the price they're asking and the amount mine cost I'm not sure if that could really be the case. If anyone had any ideas please do tell me, I'm going mad for want of knowing what this thing is!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBWD97

• penmanila

• mitto

• Joane

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks to me like they have put together a 1988 (flat bands) Duofold body/section and cap with a vintage clip and nib.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

same question here. and the "blind cap" (a false one, as it should be fixed) seems to have come off. if the section won't unscrew, then you can't have a filling system.

personally, i'd soak and then maybe even apply some heat to the section, hoping that it will come off. (after soaking/heating i'd wrap a thick strip of rubber around the section and then gently try to unscrew it counter-clockwise with pliers. others here may have better ideas.)

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

Hi JB,

Yeah, I think Joane may be right and it's a Frankenpen. The nib you have now has a hell of a crack in it and it's been "worked" on with pliers... very badly.

I think someone removed the good original gold nib and replaced it with the mess that's in there now. I'm sorry. :( But that's what I think happened.

Penmanila is on the right track with soaking, too, but I wouldn't be as aggressive as to use tools on it.

I think what happened is it was loaded with an ink cartridge that leaked and the dried ink has seized the section shut. I'm sure you've run across an ink bottle that felt like it was welded shut... same thing here, I'd wager.

Soak it for a few hours to a couple of days and keep trying to unscrew it... gently. ;) I think you'll eventually work it free.

Does the cap finial unscrew easily and allow you to easily replace the clip, (like the original Duofold)?

But, you never can tell, it MIGHT be some kind of a prototype... the best thing you can do is contact Parker themselves. Write DIRECTLY to the CEO of Newell Rubbermaid, (and include a few pics on photo quality paper), and let him delegate the job. If you use their basic contact form, you're gonna get some intern on the other end that doesn't know shellac from Shineola.

Good luck. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Common to see Sr. Duofold nibs cracked. The nib and the rest of the pen left a factory 80 years apart.

The CEO will not know shellac about this pen. You might talk to Grahm or David since you are in England.

If pushed, I could put one of these together from parts though getting the nib to crack may be difficult.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I have seen quite a few professional nib breakers. :)

Jewellers seem not to be bothered whether the nib is intact or cracked/broken.

Khan M. Ilyas

...The CEO will not know shellac about this pen...

Hello JB,

Unfortunately, this is probably true; today's corporation's typically do not maintain their archival departments to same degree as they did in years past, but I was trying to throw you a bone.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I have seen quite a few professional nib breakers. :)

Jewellers seem not to be bothered whether the nib is intact or cracked/broken.

:D

Yeah, especially when they're selling the gold by the ounce to a smelter.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

To answer a few of the questions arising, I have tried to take it apart, I do quite a lot of restoring in my spare time, so know about the use of dry heat to open pens. After trying I am 90% sure this is either one part or has been deliberately stuck together, both of which would be somewhat strange! I do think frankenpen could be a very real possibility, but the pen in the link on the sales side is a prototype, and also has a vintage nib and doesn't open, hence my confusion! For any who missed it the link to the confirmed prototype is here: http://www.heritagec...ker-centennial/ just scroll down a bit.

You might talk to Grahm or David since you are in England.

Graham or David? I can't say I've heard of either of them before, who are they?

thanks for pointing out the prototypes. the clips on those are slightly different--they have the arrow-through-the-halo parker symbol just above the word PARKER itself. i still wonder what the filling system might have been both on the prototypes and on your pen. i certainly think they're worth what you paid for parts (at least the cap) and for the novelty, but i'd still try to get that barrel opened.

thanks for pointing out the prototypes. the clips on those are slightly different--they have the arrow-through-the-halo parker symbol just above the word PARKER itself. i still wonder what the filling system might have been both on the prototypes and on your pen. i certainly think they're worth what you paid for parts (at least the cap) and for the novelty, but i'd still try to get that barrel opened.

I'll keep trying, although do you think there's any chance it might not be designed to? Perhaps, if it is a prototype a non working one? Just to show the look and feel of the pen. As I say my level of confusion around this pen has skyrocketed, it's certainly proving to be a mystery!

but why go to the extent of gluing the barrel on to the section? it's extra labor to disable functionality. they certainly wouldn't have machined that of one piece. so i'm still convinced that that section should come off, somehow ;)

but why go to the extent of gluing the barrel on to the section? it's extra labor to disable functionality. they certainly wouldn't have machined that of one piece. so i'm still convinced that that section should come off, somehow ;)

Potentially if they didn't have a proper feed or nib designed? Just playing devils advocate. Interestingly the back finnial unscrews, so I've just poured water into that, expecting it to come out covered in ink, but it came out crystal clear, from shining a light in there there also appears not be be either a cartridge or converter in there, so nothing to leak ink to seize everything.

If it was some kind of a prototype, maybe it was never meant to be a working pen. But I don't see Parker going back to the clip with the ball. If it was a prototype they obviously discarded the idea for the arrow clip and nib.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

If it was some kind of a prototype, maybe it was never meant to be a working pen. But I don't see Parker going back to the clip with the ball. If it was a prototype they obviously discarded the idea for the arrow clip and nib.

That's what I'm thinking it might be, although that is completely a gut feeling, combined with a little bit of tinkering with the pen. If you scroll down here http://www.heritagec...ker-centennial/ there is a prototype with a ball clip, although in a slightly different style.

well, the ad does say "non-working prototypes" so i guess that resolves it. like someone said, there's no "there" there ;)