Omas Roma 2000 FP

handlebar

Greetings all!Well good and bad news to be had.The good news:I finally have received my Omas Roma back from the motherland and it is writing smooth as butter!!Took over 5 weeks but it is home.

The nib is a wet one which even though it is a fine point,tends to be right between a fine and medium to me.I inked it up with PR's DC Supershow blue.No leaks(so far-i will keep watch)and the small cut is gone.I'm very happy about the pen.

Bad news:I sent the complete package to Omas because i was not sure how they processed things.Box,leather holder,paperwork,etc.

And as you have already deduced,they only shipped back the pen.Thats it.I was a bit surprised.

So i have emailed them to address this.I know some could care less about the box,etc.But Omas make a very nice case and holder.If i want to re-sell,the box is essential.

So i hope they will take care of this for me.I will update again later.

My recommendation is that if you send a pen in,send ONLY the pen.

JD

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• John Cullen

• alvarez57

• sarahfar

Great advice whether pens, cell phones or equipment, you have given outstanding advice. Send only the part to be repaired or damage if there is any doubt. the more popular and busy the repair center, the more important this is. But make the service center explain why they need all the paraphenallia.

Handlebar--Glad the pen came back working just fine. I had the same thing happen with an OMas I sent to an American dealer for adjustment. THEN I went back and read the website where it did indeed say not to send the packaging. So in my case it was my fault. Omas should have been clear about that to you.

One question: How did they pack it when it came back? I am surprised sometimes at how sloppily pen companies actually pack pens for return. The American warranty center for OMas did a nice job a few years ago repairing and sending back a Paragon to me. I hope Omas Italy was careful. JC

Handlebar--Glad the pen came back working just fine. I had the same thing happen with an OMas I sent to an American dealer for adjustment. THEN I went back and read the website where it did indeed say not to send the packaging. So in my case it was my fault. Omas should have been clear about that to you.

One question: How did they pack it when it came back? I am surprised sometimes at how sloppily pen companies actually pack pens for return. The American warranty center for OMas did a nice job a few years ago repairing and sending back a Paragon to me. I hope Omas Italy was careful. JC

Actually i asked them about whether the box and such should be shipped and never received a response.So i gambled.The packing of the pen was ok.It came back in a black plastic Omas container surrounded by newsprint and in a cardboard box.So the pen was protected.Only problem would be scratches on the resin due to rolling around in said plastic container.

JD

Glad you got your baby back. Fingers crossed now for my Yard O Led. When I talked to the folks at Filofax, I asked if I should send it with the box, storage sleeve, etc and the nice lady said to send everything I had. Hoping that's what comes back as the ebony colored boxes with the blue velvet are among the few permitted on my desk and the sleeve is just too useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the box and accessories are finally back from Omas.They did a superb job and i highly recommend Kenro when sending in for warranty.Five weeks is not too bad.Pen working excellent!!

JD

Tell us the seller's name. We all should know who is safe to deal with.

Happy that everything turned out well.

Good luck with the pen. ( by the way, nice collections I love your choice of pens)

Thanks

Harv

Tell us the seller's name. We all should know who is safe to deal with.

Happy that everything turned out well.

Good luck with the pen. ( by the way, nice collections I love your choice of pens)

Thanks

Harv

Thanks Harv.I would rather do it via email.Send me a message.

JD

glad to hear your omas is working again ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

:D So am I glad your pen plus gadgets are back! The Milord Hi-Tech that I bought 6 yrs ago came with a severe piston problem. the seller (penseller in Miss.) was very, very nice and helpful: he took the responsibility of sending the pen to Italy. Well, it took 6mo!! :yikes: , but it was worth it for the piston never gave a problem again. Thank God there is Kenro now.

So handlebar, I'm so glad you got your baby back. Please PM me the name of the seller, for I also buy Omas at fleebay.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Well the box and accessories are finally back from Omas.They did a superb job and i highly recommend Kenro when sending in for warranty.Five weeks is not too bad.Pen working excellent!!

JD

Congrats, JD! What a heart sinker experience to go through--but thankfully it had a good ending. :D I also inquired with Aurora about this when considering a nib swap--they were rather strong in their emphasis about not shipping anything but the pen, though in a well protecting container with sufficient insurance. A good lesson to be had--I bet you'll never again send off a pen for repair with the original case! ;)

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

JD

Congrats, JD! What a heart sinker experience to go through--but thankfully it had a good ending. :D I also inquired with Aurora about this when considering a nib swap--they were rather strong in their emphasis about not shipping anything but the pen, though in a well protecting container with sufficient insurance. A good lesson to be had--I bet you'll never again send off a pen for repair with the original case! ;)

~Gary

This is sooo true :headsmack: :thumbup:

JD

Thank God there is Kenro now.

I don't really understand what's so great about Kenro. They charge you $20 to cover their expenses for problems that are not your fault. And besides, what do they really do except for doing the same thing that your pen seller did, that is sending the pen to Italy. I've send them faulty OMAS pens, and all they did was forward the stuff to Italy. As far as I know they don't do anything with the pens... They CANNOT: 1.) reseal an OMAS pen 2.) clean a unreliable ink feed 3.) reset a nib 4.) replace a nib 5.) do anything with a faulty/leaky piston...

So, what can they do? Ok, they are nice, but there are many people in this world that are nice... So what?

Please correct me if I am wrong about what they cannot do. They cannot be compared to service people like Chartpak IMHO.

I was pretty upset when I once bought a brand-spanking new OMAS and they wanted to charge me $20 for sending the pen to Italy in order to have the leaky section resealed. I meanwhile bought my own sealant from Giovanni and can now handle such things myself.

Ok,Ok.So i'm hooked on Omas pens.I might not be able to affored every pen that comes along but when i see a limited edition Omas come up for sale,i consider it very carefully.Is it a good value AND something i will write with.In my opinion,all of the Omas pens i own are an outstanding value.For what i paid.Sometimes the retail prices are just way too inflated.But,prices aside,i love their older pens.The newer styles don't "call" out to me,celluloid models being the exceptions.

I received this pen in the post today.Here are my impressions:

Hi JD,

I share your love of OMAS. Sorry to hear the repair story. Although I have a number of Deltas, which I really like, but which seems there is always one on the way back or forth to Italy. Given our common interest in OMAS. I can't help but wonder about your thoughts on Parker Duofold. You seem to be a fellow sicky, I assume you must have at least one. I had quite few pens when I recently bought a Centenial Duofold. It has outstanding balance and writes in so well that make me want to use it as my every day pen. I love my OMASs as well, but tend to rotate through them instead. Your thoughts?

Flood

Thank God there is Kenro now.

I don't really understand what's so great about Kenro. They charge you $20 to cover their expenses for problems that are not your fault. And besides, what do they really do except for doing the same thing that your pen seller did, that is sending the pen to Italy. I've send them faulty OMAS pens, and all they did was forward the stuff to Italy. As far as I know they don't do anything with the pens... They CANNOT: 1.) reseal an OMAS pen 2.) clean a unreliable ink feed 3.) reset a nib 4.) replace a nib 5.) do anything with a faulty/leaky piston...

So, what can they do? Ok, they are nice, but there are many people in this world that are nice... So what?

Please correct me if I am wrong about what they cannot do. They cannot be compared to service people like Chartpak IMHO.

I was pretty upset when I once bought a brand-spanking new OMAS and they wanted to charge me $20 for sending the pen to Italy in order to have the leaky section resealed. I meanwhile bought my own sealant from Giovanni and can now handle such things myself.

If you remember,the dealer would not help me with this pen.So i had two options:Keep a defective and leaky pen that HAD to be repaired in Italy,or send it to Kenro.To send the Omas pen itself to italy would have cost $50 US insured.Seems that $20 to Kenro to take care of the customs,packaging,etc was a good thing.And since they didn't charge me a fee due to it being a new pen,i think i did rather well,wouldn't you agree?? :rolleyes:

JD

Ok,Ok.So i'm hooked on Omas pens.I might not be able to affored every pen that comes along but when i see a limited edition Omas come up for sale,i consider it very carefully.Is it a good value AND something i will write with.In my opinion,all of the Omas pens i own are an outstanding value.For what i paid.Sometimes the retail prices are just way too inflated.But,prices aside,i love their older pens.The newer styles don't "call" out to me,celluloid models being the exceptions.

I received this pen in the post today.Here are my impressions:

Hi JD,

I share your love of OMAS. Sorry to hear the repair story. Although I have a number of Deltas, which I really like, but which seems there is always one on the way back or forth to Italy. Given our common interest in OMAS. I can't help but wonder about your thoughts on Parker Duofold. You seem to be a fellow sicky, I assume you must have at least one. I had quite few pens when I recently bought a Centenial Duofold. It has outstanding balance and writes in so well that make me want to use it as my every day pen. I love my OMASs as well, but tend to rotate through them instead. Your thoughts?

Flood

Hi Flood,

Actually,i have only two American pens in my entire collection.Not that i dislike them.I just like the Italians better.Most of my pens are italian made.I rotate my Omas and Stipulas as well.Most have ink and i use them all week in rotation.

So no real everyday pen per se.I have kept a journal for 20 years now and use a different pen each day.Fun that way.But i will someday own a Parker,i'm sure.

JD

JD, I totally agree with you. I was initially referring to something that Alvarez had posted about having her dealer send the pen back for her. You did well with your pen.

I was mainly complaining about two things here with Kenro:

1. They do not have anybody that does essential repair work. So all they do is to send the pen to Italy. It's not that hard e.g. to reset a nib or seal a section. If they could do this in the US they would save a lot of OMAS customers a lot of hassle. (and I am not even asking them to do more complicated repair work like crack sealing or celluloid polishing, I just want to see them offer some essential repair work/exchange work).

2. Someone who just bought a brand-new pen and encounters a problem with it has to pay this $20 fee. Well, you can negotiate with them (and so I and you did successfully) and they might waive the fee. But I think it's pretty bad to have such a standard policy for all customers. Those who have problems with a brand-new pen shouldn't be charged the postage or shouldn't have to argue why they think that this is not right with a new pen. OMAS should pay for the complete transcontinental shipping. I think it's tolerable to pay insured postage from the continental US to Kenro, but everything beyond that does not do justice to the owner of a brand-new faulty pen.

If you remember,the dealer would not help me with this pen.So i had two options:Keep a defective and leaky pen that HAD to be repaired in Italy,or send it to Kenro.To send the Omas pen itself to italy would have cost $50 US insured.Seems that $20 to Kenro to take care of the customs,packaging,etc was a good thing.And since they didn't charge me a fee due to it being a new pen,i think i did rather well,wouldn't you agree?? :rolleyes:

JD

Edited by dupontfan

JD, I totally agree with you. I was initially referring to something that Alvarez had posted about having her dealer send the pen back for her. You did well with your pen.

I was mainly complaining about two things here with Kenro:

1. They do not have anybody that does essential repair work. So all they do is to send the pen to Italy. It's not that hard e.g. to reset a nib or seal a section. If they could do this in the US they would save a lot of OMAS customers a lot of hassle.

2. Someone who just bought a brand-new pen and encounters a problem with it has to pay this $20 fee. Well, you can negotiate with them (and so I and you did successfully) and they might waive the fee. But I think it's pretty bad to have such a standard policy for all customers. Those who have problems with a brand-new pen shouldn't be charged the postage or shouldn't have to argue why they think that this is not right with a new pen. OMAS should pay for the complete transcontinental shipping. I think it's tolerable to pay insured postage from the continental US to Kenro, but everything beyond that does not do justice to the owner of a brand-new faulty pen.

JD

I agree with you 100%%

JD