The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Monteverde Olivine (Gemstone Collection)

monteverde

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 14:00

It reminds me of PR Avacado.

same here

looks nice

Sponsored Content

#22 PS104

PS104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:17

I have it and love it

I think they hit the nail on the head and put out the line in smaller bottles

Thank you for the review

#23 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 16:40

Another nice review!  Thank you Vis.  I received a sample of this and I must say that the color is similar to Callifolio Olivastre only slightly darker.  Truthfully, I much prefer the Callifolio formulation.  

While I struggle with the total lack of creativity with regard to the branding and marketing, the ink will stand on its own merit. I truly don't think Pelikan has anything to worry about when compared to Monteverde. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#24 Jazini

Jazini

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:49

I bought this ink on the back of this review. Like the colour but performance has been ans is continuing to be poor for me. It dries up on the nib and gives hard start every time. The ink is feeling dry and not lubricating like I expected it to be and ink crystallises on the nib, which is not good! A one to get rid of.

Jaz 

#25 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 19:37

I'm sorry to hear that especially that I haven't observed such behavior in my bottle.

#26 Jazini

Jazini

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2017 - 22:17

I'm sorry to hear that especially that I haven't observed such behavior in my bottle.

Mine must have been from a bad batch.

#27 cabbie

cabbie

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:00

It reminds me of PR Avacado.

I agree. I've been looking to replace my Avocado since I discovered a problem with sitb. This looks like a perfect fit.

Ordering some tomorrow.

Cabbie

fpn_1543178351__apc_logo_bw_square-02__7

#28 matt49

matt49

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:05

Thanks for the review i've  just round round to buying a bottle of this ink  :)

#29 banjomike

banjomike

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Location:80 miles west of the Tetons, 40 miles from civilization
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:35

I bought this ink on the back of this review. Like the colour but performance has been ans is continuing to be poor for me. It dries up on the nib and gives hard start every time. The ink is feeling dry and not lubricating like I expected it to be and ink crystallises on the nib, which is not good! A one to get rid of.

Jaz 

I've had similar problems with my Olivine. I like the color, but the ink tends to creep out of the nib slit when the pen is unused, and it sure doesn't feel lubricated.

The worst is it tends to dry in little semi-soft crystals that will cover the feed, get under the nib, and collect around the mouth of the bottle.

While they brush off, they make a mess on the desktop when I brush them as they tend to stick to the underside of a sheet of paper. The bottle cap can also be extremely hard to unscrew when the crystals form on the bottle lip.

Unlike Jazini, I haven't had much trouble with this ink drying in the nib though. It has tended to dry in one pen, but not the two others I've filled with it.

I like the color, but overall, the ink's performance is disappointing.

Edited by banjomike, 11 May 2019 - 05:38.

#30 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:39

It's on the dry side but I used it a lot and didn't find any nib creep or crud problems in my bottle. I likely got a very early batch from germany, so maybe I got a different batch.

If you're getting a lot of crud, try diluting it a bit with distilled water? 10-25% shouldn't impact color much but will de-saturate the ink so the dye isnt' as prone to coming out of solution.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#31 banjomike

banjomike

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Location:80 miles west of the Tetons, 40 miles from civilization
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 21:36

It's on the dry side but I used it a lot and didn't find any nib creep or crud problems in my bottle. I likely got a very early batch from germany, so maybe I got a different batch.

If you're getting a lot of crud, try diluting it a bit with distilled water? 10-25% shouldn't impact color much but will de-saturate the ink so the dye isnt' as prone to coming out of solution.

Thanks. I will try that. The ink has gotten darker and more intense.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monteverde

Sponsored Content

|