What The Heck Is This In My Ink Bottle?

KellyMcJ

I know dust mites and the like exist but I love to imagine they don't. I only want to see pics of them not see them in real life.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• Erik Dalton

• torstar

• amberleadavis

Oh the bright side, I refilled my vintage lever filler with the safest ink I had (thinking its better to have ink in there than water getting icky because airflow inside the pen isn't the greatest) which happened to be Waterman Obnoxious Inspired Blue. I think I found the one pen that can make this color look good!!!!! :wub:

Update again:

I can not say enough about Goulet's customer service. I dropped them a note on FB, and received a reply to please email their customer service address (and gave the address). I did, and included the original photo. They told me to stop using the ink, they were sending a new bottle (I didn't manage to get my email and confirm the shipping address before their office closed on Friday)

Over the weekend I placed another order for two new pens and a new ink. I sent my contact at their customer service department a note telling her about the new order and if she wanted, to save on packing/shipping they could combine them, and gave the order number. I also told her that my microscope test was largely inconclusive, as I really didn't think an arthropod was inhabiting my ink bottle. Probably wound up there or on the slide over the course of days or prepping the slide. Back to pretending dust mites don't exist. :D

I woke up this morning to a note from her saying she had added the replacement bottle to my new order, as well as an amended invoice with a free bottle of ink on it, and I just got a shipping confirmation. These guys are on the ball! She also told me that there was no need to send it back, that I should dump it, which I did (saved the bottle though. I'll disinfect it and possibly reuse it, for ink or something else. Probably something else. Like screws/washers/etc.)

That's definitly not a dust mite. More likely a dust louse.

Yes, there are living dust lice and mites in your house. And you can't do anything about it. Probably there are also crawlers that hunt them. Every home is a small ecosystem.

Edited by Astron

That's definitly not a dust mite. More likely a dust louse.

Yes, there are living dust lice and mites in your house. And you can't do anything about it. Probably there are also crawlers that hunt them. Every home is a small ecosystem.

I've never heard of a dust louse, but it wouldn't surprise me. Either way, it wasn't colonizing my bottle of Skrip. :) Made me say eek! Though!

Was gonna say as soon as you mentioned Goulet

- Talk to them. They WILL take care of you. That's why they're worth the premium.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Now what does the replacement ink look like?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Now what does the replacement ink look like?

When it arrives I intend to check this...from older posts here it seems this may be the nature of Skrip inks.

Thanks Kelly, I knew the board would help you out, the Goulet's have been excellent in service as well through the years.

Till the next time it happens...

Wow, who knew the twists and turns this would take...lol... I'm glad you contacted Goulet and it all worked out well for you.

The new bottle arrived and appears fine- I'm now suspicious of the Skrip inks though. I think I'll keep it only in one pen until I watch it for a few weeks.

Double post for some reason.

Edited by KellyMcJ

Is there only one worldwide source for Skrip?

Our local oz. bottles look very conical.

Plus oz only get blue & black, none of the other colours.

fpn_1498721717__img_3155.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Update: the new bottle of Skrip is much darker and bluer than the old. A positive change.

I've transferred some into a sample vial to fill from as well.

I was gonna say that a few bottles that must have been sitting around for over a decade had this happen, and I'm not going to bother trying to get a refund on them as I have enough ink for 10 lifetimes sitting here.