M400 Brown Tortoise Vs Standard M800

jatinsindhu

Hi

I was planning to add another Pelikan to my collection. I currently own two M200s

Both the M400 brown tortoise and the M800 regular pens go for the same amount on Cult Pens. How do these compare with each other - a limited edition vs a normal Pelikan. What would you guys pick and why.

Regards

Jatin Sindhu

P. S. - I am leaning towards the M400

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mulrich

• Bo Bo Olson

• jatinsindhu

• Dickkooty2

The M400 Tortoise is a classically beautiful Pelikan pen but it is much smaller than the M800. That said, the M800 in green is also a classic, or in Blue Stripes... mmmmm. Oh heck, do what I did, buy one of each :D

Seriously though. Have you tried or at least seen either of them in person? What is your favorite pen right now, the one you pick up first? Is the size critical, or are you having trouble deciding color? Knowing that, we could perhaps help you decide.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

If you are comfortable using your M200s then my suggestion is to get M400 because they are the same size except M400 having 14k nib with more furniture. M800 is much heftier than M2xx/M4xx & since it has 18k nib it has to be used more carefully or you'll ruin it. So try an M800 before getting one. Here's an image for size comparison which I have taken from another thread on this board posted by Joshua aka sargetalonpost-95756-0-41960100-1383361110.jpg

Edited by voltron

In addition to the previous advice, which I agree with, the M400 tortoise is a special edition and won't be around forever. You could easily pick up a standard M800 at any time (and you can regularly find good deals on used ones).

I have large hands so I prefer the M800 but I love the tortoise finish.

I think the best case scenario is a M800 brown tortoise; but I can't afford it now.

I think I would like the size of the M800 but at the same time I really like the colour of the brown tortoise. The M400 is a compromise due budgetary constraints.

The fact that it is going to be available only for a limited time and being a special edition won't lose much value (in case I don't like it (highly unlikely) and have to sell it) is pushing me to go for it. At the same time the regular M800 will always be available and good deals can be found for used ones also encourage me to defer the M800.

The only problem is that I feel for the same price I can have a better model. It makes me feel that I might be overpaying for the M400. But look at the cost of an M800 brown tortoise......

I'd go for the M400. They aren't always available, but the M800's are a standard pen you can get almost anytime, anywhere!

Fair winds and following seas.

Or you could get the M400 White Tortoise. Also gorgeous and you can find really good deals on them right now!

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

An 800 is not a standard pen, a 200/400 is. An 800 is a Large pen.

200 is the same size as a M400....I'd suggest the better nib is to be had on a semi-vintage '83-96 Tortoise....(cheaper price too)....in green stripe, '82-97...........the gold nib is as good as the springy 'true' regular flex steel 200's nib.

The modern 400/600 are fat, blobby semi-nail made for ball point barbarians, who continue to hold their fountain pen like a ball point.

The 800 is a thick, heavy, Large...ill balanced clunky pen..................well, I grew up in the day standard (Eastie...P-75) and medium large like the P-51 pens. All pens of that era were well balanced in writing was what was done with them more than signing things or taking 'bling' notes.

I would buy an 800 only if it was an '88-90 W.Germany pen, in the nib is a wonderful springy one.....could be some in the early '90's also have a nice springy nib....regular flex....but the W.Germany is reputed to be a tad better ***than the Germany ones. I once trans-mailed one so could play with it for a couple days......thick and clunky even so.

But I didn't start with Large pens..........have few, no need for more.

I wouldn't buy a modern 800 nail.....but I'm biased. First I like a good nib, second I like a balanced pen.

The 600 is a nice nimble pen....for a long time I had a '50's semi-flex B on it. :notworthy1: Instead of the fat and blobby semi-nail nib it had had on it. I eventually got the nib made Stub.

The old nib is still the better.

***My W.Germany 200 is a tad better than my other later 200's as expected. Unfortunately it is oblique and regular flex and non stub just are not worth it.

For Oblique the '50-60's semi-flex stubs are the only way to fly.

Left handers could use more modern ones because of left eye dominance and how the pen is held.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Or you could get the M400 White Tortoise. Also gorgeous and you can find really good deals on them right now!

Holy smokes, you're right; massdrop has a white M400 for $190 (but almost sold out). The pen is way to small for my hands but otherwise I'd buy one.

I got the M400 brown tortoise and loved the finish so much I bought the M800 brown tortoise as well (and you've pointed out already you realize how expensive they got)...they look too good. So if you want piece of mind, don't get the brown tortoise. It will claw its' way into your brains I tell you!

Mulrich....you one hand span and lift medicine ball's????

That standard sized pens are too small is an urban myth....if you post them, they are longer than those Large clunky pens and better balanced. They are light and nimble so one can write for hours.

Not just for signatures and bling conference table notes, of Large and Oversized pens.

Many refuse for religious reasons to post a standard or medium-large fountain pen as designed, and complain bitterly they are too small. :wacko:

I can understand not posting Large and Giant sized pens........they had no balance to start with and posting makes them so back heavy one needs two hands to keep the nib on the paper. ;)

If you have the Death Grip and find standard and medium-large pens too skinny, well the 'forefinger up' method of grasping your fountain pen will end both.

I of course grew up in the day of standard and medium-large pens.....and never saw in real life that Sheaffer made for men with fat meaty hands.....PFM...........a Large and Clunky pen....it was not much of a success....from my understanding. The 800 is a Large and Clunky ill balanced pen....the giant 1000 is even worse.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Totally agree with that post! Urban myth on size.

My hand measures 22cm from tip to wrist (about 8.7 inches for the metrically challenged). Fairly recently I got my first ever and only Pelikan, a vintage 100N. This pen measures approx 12cm (4.75 in) capped, and the same uncapped from nib tip to barrel end. I can use uncapped and it is fairly comfortable, but posting the cap takes it into a whole other dimension of being just right.

Mulrich....you one hand span and lift medicine ball's????

That standard sized pens are too small is an urban myth....if you post them, they are longer than those Large clunky pens and better balanced. They are light and nimble so one can write for hours.

Not just for signatures and bling conference table notes, of Large and Oversized pens.

Many refuse for religious reasons to post a standard or medium-large fountain pen as designed, and complain bitterly they are too small. :wacko:

I can understand not posting Large and Giant sized pens........they had no balance to start with and posting makes them so back heavy one needs two hands to keep the nib on the paper. ;)

If you have the Death Grip and find standard and medium-large pens too skinny, well the 'forefinger up' method of grasping your fountain pen will end both.

I of course grew up in the day of standard and medium-large pens.....and never saw in real life that Sheaffer made for men with fat meaty hands.....PFM...........a Large and Clunky pen....it was not much of a success....from my understanding. The 800 is a Large and Clunky ill balanced pen....the giant 1000 is even worse.

I do have very large hands (about 9", I'm 6'7"/200cm). Pen size is a preference not an absolute. I don't like posting pens. I don't find larger pens unbalanced or clunky. I use a correct grip. Longer pens tend to be girthier, which I like. I've used vintage pens that most people rave about (Pelikan 400, Parker 51, PFM, etc) but wasn't enamored with them. I used a Parker Jotter (a ballpoint but smaller size) for years and never looked back once I started using larger pens.

People can have different preferences and that's okay. My preferences also change; they've been trending towards larger pens the last year but could easily start trending back.

I'm using an M800 today and it's one of my favorites.

Have both the M400 and M800 in brown tortoise and much prefer the size and feel of the M800!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I was hoping they might have the brown tortoise in the M300 line.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Have both the M400 and M800 in brown tortoise and much prefer the size and feel of the M800

​My exact feeling!

I was hoping they might have the brown tortoise in the M300 line.

​I have never seen a M300. It simply looks too small for me. Maybe for a lady with very small hands!

Regards

Jeff

I would buy the M400 Brown Tortoise for its' aesthetics and as an example of that particular product, size, and finish. As you may be starting to build a collection of Pelikans, buy a classic example of the 400.

I'm starting to agree that larger size being more comfortable is an urban myth. There is something satisfying about the brass piston assembly on the M8xx, but if you actually write for a long period of time the light and nimble pen wins out.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I agree with Bo Bo - balance is key, much more so than girth. Thus, OP, please check out the 800, write with it and see if you find it balanced in your hand. Then try out a 400. You will probably find that the 400 is better balanced, with or without it being posted.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp