Why Aren't There More Retractable Fountain Pens?

FilthyFrank

...But other far less expensive retractable pens have come and gone, one example is the retractable pen produced by Stypen about a decade ago, which I believe is from BIC. If you see these on the Bay they go for about $10 or so...

The Stypen was fragile...

I have a couple of Stypens (the retractable model is called the "Up"), bought for about $12 each from an Amazon seller who had old stock for sale a few years ago.

They aren't bad for what they are, but what they are not is a retractable in the same sense as the Pilot Capless models, or the Lamy Dialog. They are actually safety pens. You remove the cap and then extend the nib with a twist mechanism. It makes it less likely that you'll get ink on your fingers while uncapping, or spit up ink inside the cap. But if you simply retract the nib and don't cap it, it will dry up as quickly as any other uncapped fountain pen. The Pilots and the Lamy automatically cover up the nibs so they won't dry out when you retract them, and you don't need a cap in addition to that mechanism.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ISW_Kaputnik

• Sasha Royale

• SpecTP

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those who suggested that it is a demand/economics issue. I really wanted to like the Vanishing Point and the convenience it promised. However, IMO, the clip positioned near the nib makes for an awkward and unpleasant writing experience. If I expect to be in a situation where I would often be capping and uncapping a pen, I will take along one of my very nice ballpoint pens.

I'm not bothered at all by the clip on the VP. It's one of my edc.

The Visconti carbon graphite and the MB Boheme are retractable😀😀

I'm not a fan of the "regular" Montblancs at all, but love the retractable Boheme!

http://www.hepworthdixon.com/shopimages/products/extras/MBC.BN_1543.jpg

I agree with those who suggested that it is a demand/economics issue. I really wanted to like the Vanishing Point and the convenience it promised. However, IMO, the clip positioned near the nib makes for an awkward and unpleasant writing experience. If I expect to be in a situation where I would often be capping and uncapping a pen, I will take along one of my very nice ballpoint pens.

That clip placement isn't for everybody. On the Vanishing Point I find it a minor irritation. I have a couple of VPs with the clips removed because of that, but that brings its own issues. Rolls off tables if you aren't careful, won't stay in a shirt pocket, and without the clip as a guide, it can be harder to maintain the best angle to the paper.

On the other hand, the somewhat slimmer Capless Decimo feels just fine to me with the clip on the wrong end, and has become a favorite without any modifications.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I notice, by the way, that none of the retractables mentioned, other than the Pilots and the Lamy, are true retractables in the sense of not needing a cap. They all seem to require capping after retracting the nib, which isn't quite the same thing. Has anyone else made a retractable pen with an automatic door that covers the nib and doesn't require a cap?

Actually, as I recall, some Chinese company made a knockoff of the Pilot Vanishing Point some years ago, but other than that. ;)

- Benjamin Franklin

I would say simple economics, Supply and Demand.

Just like flex nibs, there is not enough demand to justify the cost to make it, and still make a profit.

If the demand goes high enough then the manufacturers would make it.

For example, look at SUVs.

Look at all the companies that jumped on the SUV bandwagon because the $$$$$$ demand was there.

Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Porche, etc.

If enough money is there to be made, the manufacturers will follow.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com