Snap Caps Or Screw Caps?

KellyMcJ

What's your preference?

I prefer screw caps, because I feel like they're more durable long term than snap caps - I worry about the snap cap wearing out with regular use (probably I worry too much about this). There are a lot of really great pens out there however that are snap cap. I shy away from them a bit, because of the potential durability issue. What's everyone's take on this?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Driften

• KellyMcJ

• langere

I think it's a good question, and my answer is that I see either way as a valid expression of the craft of the penmaker. A couple of examples off the top of my head, staying in the affordable range, would be the amazing, beautiful snap of the cap of the Pilot Prera, and then on the other hand, the comfortable, secure, and fast-releasing block threads on many of the Franklin-Christoph pens. Needless to say, function comes into play, and there are times when the rapid but intermittent taking of notes makes the snap cap much more convenient.

I think it's a good question, and my answer is that I see either way as a valid expression of the craft of the penmaker. A couple of examples off the top of my head, staying in the affordable range, would be the amazing, beautiful snap of the cap of the Pilot Prera, and then on the other hand, the comfortable, secure, and fast-releasing block threads on many of the Franklin-Christoph pens. Needless to say, function comes into play, and there are times when the rapid but intermittent taking of notes makes the snap cap much more convenient.

In those instances (so long as I am seated) I have developed a habit of only partially screwing the cap onto a screw cap pen- this works, so long as I remember to finish the job before I walk off with the pen!!!! So far no incidents *knock on wood* and I have become accustomed to this particular habit.

You missed the spring clutch of the Parker 51, 45, etc.

Durability depends on the "snap" mechanism used.

You probably have to do a LOT of snapping to wear out some of those snap caps.

Though I have heard of a few wearing out; Lamy Safari and some Chinese pens.

There is a relatively simple fix for some of the worn Chinese caps.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I've gradually come to prefer screw caps. It isn't only a few cheap Chinese pens that eventually, and it may be sooner rather than later, lose their grip. The Parker 75, a top of the line pen, is rather notorious for this, to the point that Ariel Kullock sells reproductions of the inner cap clutch of the 75. And the 75 isn't alone.

When sitting at my desk doing paperwork I prefer snap caps. Quick and convenient.

Using screw caps all day can become annoying. Maybe its time to consider a Pilot vanishing point.

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Some screw caps come undone too quickly right from the get-go. This has happened to me especially with Pelikans, really their only fault.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

...the amazing, beautiful snap of the cap of the Pilot Prera,

My thoughts exactly. I have 2 Preras of my own, and my wife and daughter each have one. I find one or more of my Preras on the go with me, most days. May not be the first pen I pick up to write a long letter (sometimes it is), but it's definitely in the top 3 for pens I use to tick off a grocery list.

Nice snap cap, with magnetic assist.

I can stop any time.

-Me

I prefer snap/slide/clutch caps, not so much because they are easier to take off but usually because the section seems to be more comfortable on those pens I have. Also I've found that screw caps have a greater tendency to come off when I put them in my shirt pocket. I'm probably contrary to most people in that I like a few more turns than most to take off the cap for this reason.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Yes to both. Screw caps are my general preference, but snap caps are fantastic for short notes or crossing out a to do list.

Also, some pens may only come one way or the other so that can dictate what I use. For example the Waterman Edson and Sheaffer Legacy pens are only snap caps yet both have stubs I would not want to miss out on using. In the same way the MB 149 has wonderful vintage nibs that mean I have to unscrew a cap to get at it.

Most of us will never wear out a pen if not abused.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Yes to both. Screw caps are my general preference, but snap caps are fantastic for short notes or crossing out a to do list.

Most of us will never wear out a pen if not abused.

A shared opinion.

Some screw caps come undone too quickly right from the get-go. This has happened to me especially with Pelikans, really their only fault.

Erick

This just happened with my Kaweco sport. I pulled the cap out of my pocket and the pen didn't come with!

I have no preference, and my snap cap pens have held well; except both my screw caps seem to evaporate less quickly than the others. Both pens (m400, pro gear) were way more expensive than the rest (Lamy Vistas, Mujis, Platinum Cools) except for the Sonnets (known for being evaporation kings) and Man 100.

The one time I ruined a shirt was with the m400, I thought I'd screwed it on...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Erick

I have no preference, and my snap cap pens have held well; except both my screw caps seem to evaporate less quickly than the others. Both pens (m400, pro gear) were way more expensive than the rest (Lamy Vistas, Mujis, Platinum Cools) except for the Sonnets (known for being evaporation kings) and Man 100.

The one time I ruined a shirt was with the m400, I thought I'd screwed it on...

My M200 unscrewed itself in my shirt pocket once. Member of the Pelikan Pocket Club now.

I like both types of caps. Most of my pens are screw caps, but all my modern Waterman's are snap caps.

Hi Kelly, et al,

I like the elegance of a threaded cap. :)

- Anthony

PS: However, as Zaddick points out: for shopping, errands, etc., it's hard to beat a good slip/snap cap and that's typically what I use for those types of jobs.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I have slip snap clutch screw caps and the latter from half a turn to two turns. I have enough pens that my use rate is such that none of them is going to wear out before I do. Maybe I prefer snap/clutch caps? There would be little in it if I did, and nothing significant.

X

I prefer slip caps in the style of Pilot Elite. Not keen on snap caps, and screw caps are so ubiquitous that I've come to accept them.

Erick

Hmmm agree with the Pelikan issue.....my 120 fell off my note pad after unscrewing itself, resulting in a broken feed :(

Screw caps all the way for me

Edited by AGxM

When I first started with fountain pens I did not care, three shirts later I was banned from using fountain pens by my wife. All the damage had been done by snap cap pens that un-snapped. Now I am back with fountain pens but only screw tops. I know many love the snap caps, but my history with them makes me not trust them.