The Top-Secret Stealth Parker "value" Pen Is...

TheRealMikeDr

Little background - I've got in my collection:

Parker Vacumatic (2)

Parker Duofold

Parker 51

Parker 75

Parker 21 Super

Parker 45

They all have their charms and although some of them are fairly similar (the 51 and 21) they each have their own personalities, if you will.

But - I picked up the 45 on a whim on eBay for $20. Far and away the cheapest out of all the Parkers in my list. It was a total crapshoot from some person who clearly knew nothing about pens. The pen was scratched up and had an old ink cartridge in it from the 80's. I spent some time flushing it out and polishing it up and now it looks great! But - beyond the way it looks - it's actually a great writer! The nib is a medium but it seems more like a Western fine and it puts down a perfect line with no issues everytime. Plus - it's a C/C so no worries about having to re-sac or refurb over time. I find it easier to use than the 51 as the hooded nib on the 51 makes it hard to find the sweet spot right away - not the case on the 45. The 75 writes great too - and also takes a C/C - but try to find one for $20!!

Sure - the plastic feels a little cheaper than the rest of the lineup - but not so much that it matters. It's fairly light and thin - but not a problem for me. Best of all it can be had for super cheap $$ and it writes great!!

The Parker 45 - A classic pen for next to nothing that you don't have to treat with kid gloves! There you have it!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Nihontochicken

• PS104

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree. A P45 was my pen in high school and now, when I sell pens to "newbies" as long as they are not stuck on an open nib pen, I suggest a P45. As far as collecting, there were some pretty high-end ones made too, look at the sold prices for the Harlequin range.

I have had one for some years. I thought it wasn't much good until I substituted a cartridge for the squeeze converter. Now the nib stays moist and it writes perfectly. It's always ready to write, and I can can enjoy using this pen with the beautiful mid-century style.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hi all,

The 45 isn't a bad little pen... just another one I really couldn't get into for some reason. My relationships with vintage pens in general hasn't been the greatest. :(

But I digress, what I wanted to say is if you have any 45's, make sure you store them with the cap loose.

Because unlike the 51, which uses a clutch ring to absorb the pressure of the "friction fit" method; the 45 uses the section itself to absorb the pressure. This is one of the primary reasons why the sections on 45's are more prone to cracking.

So, if you like your 45's, only cap them securely when their loaded. ;)

- Anthony

The Parker 45 is the most cost effective vintage pen to be found in the wild nowadays, IMO. Not as classy looking as the 51 perhaps, but writes just about as well for a whole lot less money.

Nihonto Chicken

The 45s are great EDCs. Used one in college and it never failed me. I could do that for myself ;)

​I still enjoy using them.

Not high end so if lost or stolen not many tears would be shed. Probably some as I'm attached to my pens :wub:

I've never cared much for the cheezy plastic barrel of the 45 with the weird tip thing. It makes the pen look very cheap.

Recently I found this Parker 45 Flighter fountain pen and rollerball set that had a normal barrel end...it is the only Parker 45 that I own and use.

post-126538-0-22952500-1498061229.jpg

Edited by dadbar

My first semi-vintage pen was a black 45 with a 14K M nib -- I found it in the wild several years ago in a littles antiques mall in "butt-nowhere" NW Pennsylvania. Didn't even know what it was, other than it was a Parker. I paid all of $9 US plus sales tax (which in that county was only 6%).

Man, that nib is smooooooth.... Put the right ink in the pen, and it's like dancing on ice -- the nib just glides across the page. Oh, and they're really easy to take apart for thorough cleaning. When I posted photos of mine, someone pointed me to a link for a Tyler Dahl video on how to do it -- just do it over a dishpan or something -- those nibs are *TINY*...!

Oh yeah, and what ParkerDuofold said: I haven't had cracking on any of mine, but the *other* problem with 45s is that the inner clip in the caps can deform the section.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Parker models 17 , 19 , 25 . For a distinctive experience, try Parker 180.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I've never cared much for the cheezy plastic barrel of the 45 with the weird tip thing. It makes the pen look very cheap.

Recently I found this Parker 45 Flighter fountain pen and rollerball set that had a normal barrel end...it is the only Parker 45 that I own and use.

Could we see the pens with their caps and nib sections. I haven't seen a P45 with such shaped barrel end.

Khan M. Ilyas

A number of the traditionally cheaper pens are on the rise. When the 45 starts to be worth more than about $15, it is getting to the point where it's better to find a 51 on ebay and clean it up yourself. It is so much better than a 45, and so much more durable, that there's no comparison. 51 is the real champ.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.