New Nib For My Jinhao 159

mke

Before buying a Montblanc 149, I would first like to try to exchange the nib in a Jinhao 159 for a finer one - and if available a 14K.

In another thread I found the comment

> Anyway, since I love steel JoWos, I'm thinking of getting one in gold and, perhaps perversely, setting it in a Jinhao 159 or 750.

Did anybody of you do this already? With such a nib mentioned or with another nib? Did it work?

After the exchange, still a VERY wet writer?
Or would it be easier/cheaper to change it from M to F?
Any links how this is done?
Thank you

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• lurcho

• ian1964

• Honeybadgers

See the text and YouTube video on: http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/12/jinhao-x450x750-fountain-pen-nib.html

It will work on a 159 too as it has the same #6 feed and grip section internals as the Jinhao X450/750.

Goulet nibs are just branded JoWo nibs.

For various OEM steel or gold JoWo nibs and custom grinds you can look at: http://www.fpnibs.com/en/39-nibs

You can order them as nibs only, without the nib unit.

Start with a goulet nib. If you want to try an oblique double broad, Knox (amazon) has them for cheap. Knox EF/F nibs are meh.

The Nemosine EF is a lovely nib. I also love the scrollwork. The nemosine 0.6 stub is an amazing everyday nib.

If you want to try a gold nib, get a gold nib from fpnibs.com. They're in spain, but speak perfect english, their prices (including shipping) mop the floor with anything sold in the US, and shipping to me in Seattle took two days.

They also will do all sorts of fun custom grinds with same-day turnaround.

If you can swing the money for a gold nib, I suggest doing it. a #6 gold jowo 14k nib swaps into a ton of other pens, like the TWSBI vac700r (I have a custom semiflex F 18k jowo in mine, one of my favorite pens.)

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thank you for the answers (and the links) - I think, I am going to get a steel jowo EF and F first before looking at the gold ones.

The nemosine EF also looks nice.

Does anybody of you have both? Jinhao 159 and Montblanc 149 - I would really like to see the nibs side by side.

Thank you.

Does anybody of you have both? Jinhao 159 and Montblanc 149 - I would really like to see the nibs side by side.

Thank you.

There's a comparison here by a Mr Brown

For seeing the nibs side by side, just find examples of both on the net and do a cut n paste job.

So if I wanted to get a Jowo nib from fpnibs as a 0.8 stub which one do I get to suit a Jinhao x750? I am guessing it's a #6, but do I order just the nib or the nib and housing? And to make it a stub nib should It start as a broad?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

x750s and 159's are very easy to work on. I've had Goulet nibs in mine, various Knox nibs from Xfountainpens (who goes by Birmingham Pens today) and currently I'm using a medium Bock Titanium on it.

Feed was always keeping up nicely.

It really just needs to be a #6, probably one of the most common modern nib size.

-k

So if I wanted to get a Jowo nib from fpnibs as a 0.8 stub which one do I get to suit a Jinhao x750? I am guessing it's a #6, but do I order just the nib or the nib and housing? And to make it a stub nib should It start as a broad?

You need a #6, nib only - though I don't know if fpnibs sell bare nibs at the moment. If not, it's pretty easy to remove them from the housing!

Pablo and Esther are pretty good at responding to email enquiries - if you want to know what nib to start with for a 0.8 stub, I'd suggest you ask them before placing an order!

It's a #6. I've replaced several into Jinhao 750s.and 159s. Nothing could be simpler.

They do sell their nibs either with or without the feed or housing, but the price difference is minimal, inconsiderable.

And to answer your last question, get FPNibs to stub it for you. They have a menu for the grinds they offer.

I have found them to be a great company to buy from, and I constantly sing their praises on this site.

Edited by lurcho

Before buying a Montblanc 149, I would first like to try to exchange the nib in a Jinhao 159 for a finer one - and if available a 14K.

In another thread I found the comment

> Anyway, since I love steel JoWos, I'm thinking of getting one in gold and, perhaps perversely, setting it in a Jinhao 159 or 750.

Did anybody of you do this already? With such a nib mentioned or with another nib? Did it work?

After the exchange, still a VERY wet writer?
Or would it be easier/cheaper to change it from M to F?
Any links how this is done?
Thank you

It's simplicity itself to swap a #6 JoWo into a Jinhao X750 or 159. In fact. I've even knocked out the housing from three or four Jinhaos and superglued the entire nib assembly into the Jinhao section. I have so far found it hard to distinguish a definite difference in performance between the Jinhao feeds and the ones that come with the JoWo nibs, but I think the JoWo feeds have the edge.

I am the guy you quote, by the way, and at least for the moment I am persuaded not to spend money on a gold JoWo. I am extremely happy with the steel JoWos I've bought, and would go so far as to say that they outperform any other nibs I've ever owned.

They have tended to require tweaking for flow and usually for smoothness, but this is also true of every very expensive gold nib I've owned, without a single exception.

If you do decide to buy a gold JoWo, I think you'll be delighted, based on what I've read. Some seem to say they're nails and others that they have a delightful bounce. There's nothing to be lost by sticking one in a dirt-cheap pen like a Jinhao, because you can always in the future transplant the nib to an Edison, or Franklin-Christoph, or Ken Cavers, or Newton, and so on.

Edited by lurcho

• 2 months later...

OK, I did it finally - I ordered nibs from FPnibs.com.

As some of you said their customer service is first class. They also told me the line sizes of their nibs.

M = 0.6 mm

F = 0.45 mm

EF = 0.35 mm

This is (nearly) one order broader than those in Japan.

But they also have regrinding services which makes an EF to a

XXF = 0.2 mm or to a

XXXF = 0.1 mm

As I already have many pens with Japanese F (0.38mm), I ordered one XXF and one XXXF.

Looking forward to this new superfine experience.

Thanks for your recommendation.

p.s. To buy or not to buy a gold nib will be thought about later.

Well, - if you want a MB 149 pen, trying a Jinhao 159 wont teach you anything, just because it is a Jinhao pen. It feels different, and no matter what nib you try on, it will never behave like a MB 49. So, if you can find someone who has a MB 149 pen, and ask to try his 149. If you lived near me, I would have lent you one of my MB 149s to keep for a few weeks to try out. But, since you are in Tokyo and I am in Michigan, USA, that wont work.

Thank you for this advice.

Actually, it was a cost-performance thought. If a Jinhao with a fine nib is good enough than a MB149 is not absolutely necessary.

But it might end in a buying a MB149 additionally - even if the Jinhao is good enough.

Same happened with the Sailor Profit 1911 KoP which was the third in my list. Meanwhile I have one. :)