The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Oh No! My Snorkel Won't Unsnork!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 00:07

And fresh off me asking a question in this forum about dimensions to my Snorkel because I love using it so much, I went to do my bi-weekly ink top off of my everyday carry Snorkel  and the Snorkel wouldn't completely retract after filling.  I tried twisting a few times after the fill and it still doesn't go all the way back in.  It came out just fine, it took ink in just fine, but won't go back completely.

I should say that I purchased this pen restored from a seller who had it, himself, restored by a repairer I trust.  Although I don't know how long it has been since he had it restored or how much use he gave it between the time he got it back and he sold it to me.  I've used it daily for the few months I've had it.  Every two weeks I've been topping it up with ink to make sure it doesn't go out during the work day.  Until now, it has given neither problem nor sign of problem.

I have no experience repairing this kind of pen.  Is there an easy solution for someone inexperienced or did something happen here where I'll have to send it out?

Thanks.

Attached Images

• 20170619_215057268_iOS.jpg
  • 20170619_215057293_iOS.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:46

one possibility is that the tube may have become partially detached from its seating in the sac bush, thereby not retracting adequately - apparently the original instructions advised using shellac to seal this seating, but perhaps not all repairers do so.       If you unscrew the section, the tube should project from its seating by either 38 or 40 mm depending on whether open or conical nib - if it's greater than that then the tube may well have become partially detached, and will need re-seating.

The snorkel seal seems to dry out over time, and it could be that this creates a level of friction on the metal tube such that movement is stressed to a degree that causes the tube to be pulled out of its seating in the sac bush.    This stiffness in the snorkel seal can be relieved by very light dab of silicone grease or appropriate lubricant.

Of course, you problem may be unrelated to the above entirely.   Best of luck. :)

Edited by PaulS, 20 June 2017 - 07:48.

#3 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 00:27

Well daggum it.  I emptied the pen of all its ink.  The snorkel tube will not budge.  So it is definitely not loose.

And to top it off, today after moving it several more times it now does not retract hardly at all.  It is now in line with the tip of the nib, making it totally unusable (pics below compared with yesterday's).

Is it done for until I get it professionally fixed?

Attached Images

• 20170621_000344296_iOS.jpg
  • 20170621_000344323_iOS.jpg

#4 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:19

Under the theory of doing less before doing more, before you disassemble it or send it out, if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, hold the pen so the nib and feed are in the USC but nothing else and give it a cycle, while holding the pen nib down.  Absent that, I'd soak nib and feed in a small jar of cool water for a couple of hours with a dash of ammonia, just enough water to cover the nib and feed.  It's entirely possible that something little got in the pathway and stopped it up.  Snorkels aren't difficult to repair but they are fiddly and are best not disassembled if you don't know how to get them back together.  

Tim

Current Rotation:

home: MontBlanc 149/Diamine Twilight; Esterbrook SJ/Diamine Deep Dark Blue

case:  Parker 51/Pelikan Konigsblau

pocket: Pilot Legance/Iro Yama Budo

office: Varuna Vishal/(vint) Sheaffer Blue

see my Pens for Sale and my collection at timsvintagepens.com  

#5 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:01

Well I definitely don't know how to repair it.  And I don't own an ultrasonic cleaner.  However, it is on my shopping list for my sojourn to the DC pen show this year.

I'll give the soak a try overnight and see what that does.

#6 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:28

Familiarise yourself with the pen's components, everything's fiddly but not impossible.

Your snorkel tube is gradually getting yanked out of the sliding sac assembly.

The nib unit screws into the section, the gap is at the first rung of the section before the fine ridges.

I will usually gently try to open the nib off the section, that'll tell me if the tube is jammed inside that part... by design it's a sliding fit, friction only at the Point Seal gasket.

Anatomy-Snork.jpg

#7 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:33

I'll give the soak a try overnight and see what that does.

Soaking a whole Snorkle does more harm overall than good, IMHO. Get any condensation into the barrel and rust starts.

If ever my Snorks need extended cleaning, I will simply unscrew the nib unit and only that part goes off for cleaning.

(Rest of the pen? Just put the cap back on, stand it up in a cup until the nib is ready for reinstalling. Screw it back on, it'll be ready to write... no need to empty & reink. Amazing design, these Snorks!)

#8 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:11

Familiarise yourself with the pen's components, everything's fiddly but not impossible.
Your snorkel tube is gradually getting yanked out of the sliding sac assembly.
The nib unit screws into the section, the gap is at the first rung of the section before the fine ridges.
I will usually gently try to open the nib off the section, that'll tell me if the tube is jammed inside that part... by design it's a sliding fit, friction only at the Point Seal gasket.Anatomy-Snork.jpg

$64 winner! Thanks for the pic. I didn't know the section unscrewed. I pulled and nothing happened (obviously I did not try too hard) and gave up. Saw your post, saw the threads and turned. Needed to twist ever so slightly more than I was comfortable with, but I got it off. Saw the parts. You were right, the tube must have gotten separated somehow. Is now back in (although I am taking this opportunity to clean it) and will be reined an used tomorrow. This is my one pen that is with me literally every day. I keep several others inked at all times, but this one is actually inked and travels with me, I guess it makes sense I would wear the distance down on that part from use. Now I know what to do.

Thanks again, all, for helping me keep this pen in my pen case every day.

#9 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• 1,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:40

Also reason 2919029 why the TD filler is better.

Much as I love them, snorks jam, springs rust, tubes clog or the slit in the tube fails to line up properly with the feed, etc. all for what? less ink (the tube takes up space in the filler) and you don't have to wipe the nib down but your feed is not primed. That is a LOT of extra technology for a marginal benefit.

My army of snokels gets fiddled with much more than TD fillers that just go and go and go untill the seals or sac bites the dust. Don't get my wrong, I LOVE SNORKELS, and the added length means they fit in my hand better than the TD pens but I really get tired of fiddling with the tube and the spring. 

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#10 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 14:52

Also reason 2919029 why the TD filler is better.

Believe me, I have a shopping list for the D.C. Pen Show, and a TM is on the top of that list.

#11 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• 1,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 17:07

Believe me, I have a shopping list for the D.C. Pen Show, and a TM is on the top of that list.

Keep in mind TM Touchdowns are slightly shorter than snorkels but just as thin. My preference is for early fat Touchdowns, Snorkels and then TM Touchdowns but love them all almost equally. One of my favorites is actually a Triumph TM Touchdown. 

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#12 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 17:24

I've accumulated a few other TDs on the desk but don't feel particularly inspired by them... they're not as interesting as Vacumatics IMHO :)

That is a LOT of extra technology for a marginal benefit.

... but demo it to techie/engie/nerdy/geeky friend (like most of mine are) and THEIR JAW DROPS :D

Then you tell 'em it's 60yrs old, their MIND IS BLOWN :D :D

Don't care how impractical a Snork is, it's better than rocket science.

#13 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 17:36

Keep in mind TM Touchdowns are slightly shorter than snorkels but just as thin. My preference is for early fat Touchdowns, Snorkels and then TM Touchdowns but love them all almost equally. One of my favorites is actually a Triumph TM Touchdown. 

Yes.  I have learned that from studying.  The appeal to me is the diameter more than the length.  At least I think it is.  I'll find out when I get one in my hand.

#14 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 19:14

I have my first ever TD filler in a Legacy version 1. I don't understand how the filler works, but it just does. Apparently, this filler also works exactly the same with a standard Sheaffer red-base converter.

flying-letter-exc.png

#15 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 22:28

Have to remember that in the early 1950s, f.ps. were mega in terms of sales, and commercial competitiveness big stuff, so any design innovation that was perceived as an improvement, would give your company a sales lead  -  but it has to be admitted that the Snorkel's mechanics are really a gimmick/novelty.      Still relied on a rubber sac, still needed a bottle of ink, and as we now know, the various seals and spring would bring tears at the end of the day  ................   but collectors love quirky, so in 2017 the pen has a big following, still.

My two both have conical nibs although believe the model was supplied originally with open shape as well.              The beaks are like nails, perhaps the open ones have some degree of flex, but probably not  -  modern Sheaffer nibs aren't known for flex.

Sponsored Content

|