The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Vacumatic Revisited

vacumatic parker venvstas mirage rossi lucio rossi carbon v piston piston filler paris

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VENVSTAS

VENVSTAS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2017 - 21:33

This is a prototype at the moment for a pen that will be made in very small quantities. 10 (ten) The pen is all hand made, it was born out of an experiment, making a pen with an overlay and ink window, personally I like the syringe type, but in this case, an overlay made more clear the need for a longer body and a small blind cap and a big ink reservoir, therefore I thought why not to make a vacumatic type of pen, but, we do not have diaphragms, and they complicate the construction of the pen, the solution was to replace what in a parker would be a latex diaphragm by the same type of pistons we use in slim pens like the vulcain and calame. One member of the forum asked me why not to make a vacumatic, but the diaphragm is something I dont like, since latex dries out quickly, it decomposes quickly and gets eaten by some inks,.......to make it short, you move a piston instead. The breath tube is made of inox built in the carbon fiber feed which is 6mm (nobody makes those, except us)  and comes from another pen that's been in the catalog that uses them, therefore the whole unit can be easily taken away for cleaning. The whole pen can be dismantled by taken away the two screws, that removes the piston unit and the overlay everything at once. So you can clean it. 

Attached Images

• DSC_0022.JPG
  • DSC_0019.JPG
  • DSC_0021.JPG
  • DSC_0025.JPG

ATELIER VENVSTAS PARIS

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

Sponsored Content

#2 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 00:55

The filler sounds like a modern version of a Dunn or Omas's Stantuffo Tuffante filler from the vintage Extra Lucens or Lucens pen.

2017 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 25-27th, 2017
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#3 VENVSTAS

VENVSTAS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:29

The filler sounds like a modern version of a Dunn or Omas's Stantuffo Tuffante filler from the vintage Extra Lucens or Lucens pen.

I would say that I just want to strip the idea to the minimum, making it very simple, to my mind as a designer its not how complicated you make things but the contrary, and the whole system is made in carbon fiber, so you don't have a heavy thing at the end of the pen and you can keep a decent balance, and overall weigh of the pen, this pens can whole a lot of ink, and ink is.......heavy 

ATELIER VENVSTAS PARIS

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

#4 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• 3,388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:40

Nice Lucio !

I've made a similar filling system 10 years ago, see :

http://www.fountainp...id-pump-filler/

Wishing you success !

Francis

#5 rafapa

rafapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 14:13

Nice Lucio !
Wishing you success !
Francis

Dear Francis,
I don't see how the ink reach the feed once the level is below the end of the stainless steel tube.
Brian Edison modify the standard Jowo housing for his vacumatic pens. Do you also modify the Bock hpusing?
Thanks,
Rafael

#6 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• 3,388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 14:57

Dear Francis,
I don't see how the ink reach the feed once the level is below the end of the stainless steel tube.
Brian Edison modify the standard Jowo housing for his vacumatic pens. Do you also modify the Bock hpusing?
Thanks,
Rafael

Dear Rafael,

I've made  a small transversal hole in the breather tube allowing the ink entering at lowering ink level.

This hole is also needed for emptying the pen.

The tube fits on the nib unit nipple and the (one sided) hole was drilled coming just above the nipple of the nib unit.

Doing so I did not need to adapt the standard Bock nib unit.

Francis

#7 VENVSTAS

VENVSTAS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 18:37

Dear Rafael,

I've made  a small transversal hole in the breather tube allowing the ink entering at lowering ink level.

The tube fits on the nib unit nipple and the (one sided) hole was drilled coming just above the nipple of the nib unit.

Francis

Dear Rafael,

Francis

Bonsoir Francis, tu vas bien? Merci pour tes mots, 

Bravo pour la Conid, j'aime bien le système pur attacher le capuchon, c'est trop cool. (I'll continue in english we're not in styloplume.org) 

Regarding the question to you from Raphael....yes, that..I solved that in a different way, as  I dont use standard housing, but a carbon fiber one, the tube goes just through it. Im not using Bock, Im using Jowo, and with Jowo it should be easier, the placing of a tube in the feed, with the Bock ones it is more difficult, it turned out that one pen I have called the Avance (Im attaching picture) because of some mumble jumble of doing an all carbon pen, I decided to not use the Jowo feeds, I was afraid that the tube may get loose or something, .......therefore I use the feed of the avance, which is a custom feed, one of my own in carbon fiber feeds,  so far I can say they are very good, and they look similar to an ebonite feed. The thing is that I can drill it and place a 2.5mm inox tube that just fits by preasure and after that I drill a hole through the feed in the channel to the tube itself, therefore you have the connection you need to fill the pen.....what else, I have never seen a vacumatic myself, so I think this is how it was made originally, Im sure that a lot of people here and you too knows them well,  I was reading what you wrote on your pen, I agree on that you start playing with this filling systems because the "reluctant people" , the syringe may be seen as a strange thing for some, I even sold a few od a pen called Magna, which loads a decent amount of ink, well above 2.0ml, but a client sent me a drawing for the ideal Magna, sudenly the pump was gone and epears a diaframg, and I think, well this seems how many people think.....so I got to your very same conclusion. 
I dont use the plunger, but yes the pump in a more simple system, a syringe, and a few variations, and to me is so much easy a plunger or a syringe, its easier to clean and so on, its faster to fill yes, but somehow I was working on a pen with an overlay and it came natural at the end, 
I'll post the pen all disassembled as its fun to see. 
here the pen that's all carbon. 

554783ad008.jpg

Give my salutations to Werner, I hope he's enjoying the pens, I've changed them now a lot.

Saludos Rafel! 

ATELIER VENVSTAS PARIS

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

#8 VENVSTAS

VENVSTAS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 18:47

Nice Lucio !

Wishing you success !

Francis

Merci Francis, 

Here I have dismantled the whole thing, I just made the tube to go right inside the feed. then both get drilled. The hood ca be removed, the nib case is in carbon the feed is in carbon and the piston is very simple it goes out in a complete unit. I may get a shorter spring maybe, but also I think a longer stroke at the end reduces the time of pressing the button. I have been always looking at the difficulty of servicing this pens when with a diaphragm.  therefore to think in something you can fix with a hammer....the whole pen is dismantled by removing two screws. 

Attached Images

• DSC_0015 (2).JPG
  • DSC_0014.JPG

ATELIER VENVSTAS PARIS

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

#9 VENVSTAS

VENVSTAS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 18:52

No idea about them, I just took a look on the vacumatic and adapted it to what I have, I guess many are doing so in order to avoid the diaphragm, at the end they have similar problems to the ink sac, and I don't know of any silicon made diaphragm, with that eventually you could have a more long lasting one, thank you for the comment, I'll take a look on those pens. 

ATELIER VENVSTAS PARIS

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

#10 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 19:16

Looks interesting.

#11 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2017 - 00:27

How much would one of these bad boys be selling for?

#12 VENVSTAS

VENVSTAS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:18

How much would one of these bad boys be selling for?

Don't know yet, but cheaper than many pens out there.............it will be with custom grinding 14k or 18k. Gold nibs will be flat rate, so you can pick the grinding and the type of nib and it will be the same price, it will come with a leather pouch and a pen case.........Im working on that. For sure the whole mechanism will remain in carbon although the spring may be a bit shorter in the final version. I'll keep posting about this guy. 

ATELIER VENVSTAS PARIS

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vacumatic, parker, venvstas, mirage, rossi, lucio rossi, carbon v, piston, piston filler, paris

Sponsored Content

|