|***** The FPN Admin Team *****|
FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Waterman 52 1/2 V
Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:12
Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:58
I've just checked mine, and there are only 4 breather holes round the cap. If there is one at the top of the cap, it means you are missing the ring attachment. If there are 5 holes round the cap, I guess someone at Waterman, way back, got a little "drill-happy".
Posted 19 June 2017 - 23:52
Do they serve a purpose?
They allow air to enter the cap as it is removed so it doesn't create a vacuum and draw ink out of the pen, making a big mess.
Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:37
If your cap is not a tight fit, the holes can also dry out the nib irritatingly, in which case a bit of wax in them will help. I have not had this drying problem with my old Watermans though, only with some Onotos. Still, it may help to be aware of it.
Posted 20 June 2017 - 13:28
Posted 21 June 2017 - 18:13
I was just wondering from a collecter's standpoint, would all these holes lower the value of the pen? There are 5 holes in the cap.
Welcome to FPN!
As Pentode stated above, those "breather holes" were placed in there by the manufacturer for a reason. They will not lower the value of those pen.
Also, those caps came with an inner cap, to prevent the ink from drying up.
For more information on the subject please read the following article from Richard Binder
Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:38
According to Waterman, the holes in the cap were to prevent condensation on pens to be carried on the person -- not to prevent ink from being sucked out of the pen when it was uncapped.
Waterman's pens of the hard rubber era were shipped with the vent holes plugged with red wax. Dealers and customers were instructed to leave the wax plugs in place on pens that were to be used at the desk, but to poke out the wax on pens that were to be carried around.