The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Waterman 52 1/2 V

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kkmc

Kkmc

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:12

Hi - I just received a waterman 52 1/2 v in the mail and I noticed the cap has 5 holes in the cap. Do they serve a purpose?

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:58

I've just checked mine, and there are only 4 breather holes round the cap.  If there is one at the top of the cap, it means you are missing the ring attachment. If there are 5 holes round the cap, I guess someone at Waterman, way back, got a little "drill-happy".

#3 Pentode

Pentode

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2017 - 23:52

Do they serve a purpose?

They allow air to enter the cap as it is removed so it doesn't create a vacuum and draw ink out of the pen, making a big mess.

#4 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:37

If your cap is not a tight fit, the holes can also dry out the nib irritatingly, in which case a bit of wax in them will help. I have not had this drying problem with my old Watermans though, only with some Onotos. Still, it may help to be aware of it.

from falsehood, anything follows

#5 Kkmc

Kkmc

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2017 - 13:28

I was just wondering from a collecter's standpoint, would all these holes lower the value of the pen? There are 5 holes in the cap.

Attached Images

• IMG_0972.JPG

#6 Mauricio

Mauricio

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 18:13

I was just wondering from a collecter's standpoint, would all these holes lower the value of the pen? There are 5 holes in the cap.

Welcome to FPN!

As Pentode stated above, those "breather holes" were placed in there by the manufacturer for a reason. They will not lower the value of those pen.

Also, those caps came with an inner cap, to prevent the ink from drying up.

For more information on the subject please read the following article from Richard Binder

Tu Amigo!
Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net
Posted Image
E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

#7 Kkmc

Kkmc

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 23:21

Ok, thanks!

#8 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:38

According to Waterman, the holes in the cap were to prevent condensation on pens to be carried on the person -- not to prevent ink from being sucked out of the pen when it was uncapped.

Waterman's pens of the hard rubber era were shipped with the vent holes plugged with red wax. Dealers and customers were instructed to leave the wax plugs in place on pens that were to be used at the desk, but to poke out the wax on pens that were to be carried around.

Sponsored Content

|