The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

£5 Parker Sonnet - Weird Nib

parkersonnet nib problem how to fix weird tipping genuine?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hvostik

Hvostik

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2017 - 18:03

Hello, everyone. First post - please, be kind.

So, I came across a CT Flighter Sonnet (1994 version) at a charity shop I volunteer at.
Marked "Sonnet Q.I France". Old Parker logo - arrow through ellipsis(?). Feather engravings on clip are distinct and sharp - good sign.

However, the nib seems 'off'. See images - too much tipping, and layered to form a ridge on upper part. Blob of tipping on end if tip (no pic, as couldn't fix pen to microscope in that position). The engravings are nowhere near as sharp as the ones on the clip- not sure if this indicates an issue. It writes fine though... Not as wet as I would have liked, but hey, for a fiver, can I really complain?

So, my questions are:
Do you, penthusiasts, think it is genuine?
If so, is the nib's condition a problem?
Should I attempt to sand it down using micro-mesh?
Should I return it?

As a sixth-form students, I don't think my budget will stretch to a whole new nib unit...

Sponsored Content

#2 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2017 - 18:12

It writes fine though

Case closed. What else would you want it for to be worth a fiver?

Edited by Bluey, 18 June 2017 - 18:12.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#3 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2017 - 18:13

Pictures please.
Khan M. Ilyas

#4 Hvostik

Hvostik

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2017 - 18:29

Pictures please.

#5 Hvostik

Hvostik

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2017 - 18:30

Pictures please.

apparantely, I can't add images..

#6 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2017 - 21:47

quote  ................... "can I really complain?"  -  obviously you can, and you have - but for the money you shouldn't :) ​      the date code on your pen indicates it was made in 2000.        Assuming you have your own photo library on your pc, then edit and re-size if you wish ............then type your reply.          When happy with the text go to the 'More reply options' over on the bottom right and this will guide you through the attachments of whichever pix you want to add.

​The sequence should be  ...........   browse then attach then up-load  -  hope I have that correct.

Edited by PaulS, 18 June 2017 - 21:51.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parkersonnet, nib, problem, how, to, fix, weird, tipping, genuine?

Sponsored Content

|