Lamy 2000S Are Overrated...

EH86055

To everyone:

I guess I could say that the 2000 is nice,now that it's been fixed.

The nib is smoother than my 149's nib (but still not as smooth as my x450...). But the pen,like some of you have said,is a bit boring. It looks good,but the nib is just a bit TOO good. I personally like the feel of some feedback,which is why Sailor pens appeal to me. The only reason why I chose a 149 over a KoP

is because the KoP isnt sold at any Sydney 'brick&mortar' stores. I never buy online in fear that I get a fake or damaged pen. Back onto the 2000. It's a nice pen,but for $300? No way...

Edited by Eric_H

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EH86055

• bemon

• pajaro

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of positive things about this pen: firstly, I love the design and although that's a question of aesthetic preference, there can be no doubt that it's one of the great designs of its style. Secondly, for almost a decade of regular use my first 2000 has been quite reliable and a pleasure to use. Ergonomically it fitted my hand very well, the medium nib was smooth, ink flow was generous and ink capacity great. Thirdly, when a crack appeared in the barrel, I sent the pen to Lamy and they repaired it free of charge. Fourthly, I took the opportunity to ask for a different nib (an OB) and they simply obliged. In all, I consider the 2000 to be a very good deal. Pity about the crack, though: it appears to be a common problem.

To everyone:

I guess I could say that the 2000 is nice,now that it's been fixed.

The nib is smoother than my 149's nib (but still not as smooth as my x450...). But the pen,like some of you have said,is a bit boring. It looks good,but the nib is just a bit TOO good. I personally like the feel of some feedback,which is why Sailor pens appeal to me. The only reason why I chose a 149 over a KoP

is because the KoP isnt sold at any Sydney 'brick&mortar' stores. I never buy online in fear that I get a fake or damaged pen. Back onto the 2000. It's a nice pen,but for $300? No way...

What size is your nib? I have an L2K in fine, medium and broad. The fine has an impossible to find sweet spot in my experience. The medium is better, and floats if I get it right. The broad is like writing on hot glass with a stick of butter, but unfortunately a bit too broad for every day use.

Love the broad for vibrant colours and the "Buick of pens float", but the medium travels with me. I should probably sell the fine. So if anyone in Toronto is reading this and wants to help me buy new tires... drop a note.

And what is your "due diligence"?

Avoid Chinese and South Asian addresses is a solid step in the right direction. I'll even pay more for the same (genuine) product if I can support my own economy and put less cash in the pockets of counterfeiters.

Avoid Chinese and South Asian addresses is a solid step in the right direction. I'll even pay more for the same (genuine) product if I can support my own economy and put less cash in the pockets of counterfeiters.

I'm semi Chinese so I have a tenf]fancy to buy from Chinese addresses. I know how to identify counterfeits and Chinese sellers usually sell for cheaper anyway.

— Douglas Adams

What size is your nib? I have an L2K in fine, medium and broad. The fine has an impossible to find sweet spot in my experience. The medium is better, and floats if I get it right. The broad is like writing on hot glass with a stick of butter, but unfortunately a bit too broad for every day use.

Love the broad for vibrant colours and the "Buick of pens float", but the medium travels with me. I should probably sell the fine. So if anyone in Toronto is reading this and wants to help me buy new tires... drop a note.

Medium,feels like a broad to me...

— Douglas Adams

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my L2K for, oh, 8-9 years now, I guess. It's always been a flawless performer and is still my "best" pen. It's only ever presented me with one issue - the somewhat common cracked barrel just above the section. Off it went to Filofax, who handled Lamy CS back in the day, with a check for $9 or something like that for S&H. What came back to me was, with the exception of the cap and the nib, a brand-new pen. New barrel, new section with improvements that eliminated the cracking issue. And pretty quick, too.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

• 4 months later...

I would love to contribute to this,but,sadly,I'm a student,and at school,even my 149 glides past unnoticed,same with anything else.

I would love to contribute to this,but,sadly,I'm a student,and at school,even my 149 glides past unnoticed,same with anything else.

Hmmm, most 12 year-olds I know have experienced grabby peers. Do you go to a serious school?

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

"Buick of pens float" is a terrific description - most older Americans will know just what you mean. :D

"Buick of pens float" is a terrific description - most older Americans will know just what you mean. :D

I miss my Park Avenue!

Probably more of the Cadillac...

Probably more of the Cadillac...

Funny this is coming up again now. Recently I decided to take my car to a mom n pop shop to get a new wheel bearing installed (my employee discount at a dealership still came to $700, these guys did it for $300).

Anyway, I asked for a ride to the subway and the mechanic says nah, Ill give you a loaner and tosses me the keys to an 89 LaSabre. Complete with tall side walls, pillow top seats and butter soft suspension it dont think Ive smiled that wide sitting in traffic in a long time. I wish I could have kept it for a few days, but handed it back over at the end of the day. Got into my 09 Taurus and felt like I was driving a go-kart with plastic seats compared to the old Buick.

On the flip side, I borrowed my dads Outback for a few weeks and when I got my Taurus back it felt I was driving on a cloud. So.. perspective I guess.

Wow....

That's an American Luxury car experience....

It's like driving a pillow!

Unfortunately not anymore. At least not for the most part thanks to global engineering. Here in Canada/the States unless we buy and old car we mostly get the same bone jarring cramped quarters and skittish steering that Europeans seem to enjoy.

Ive got another year in my car and then its into something built off a global platform. Or failing that a large SUV, but I drive 100 km a day minimum, so.. Id best steer clear of a Yukon. As much as Id like one considering gas.

Edited by bemon

I am in the States....

Te hee.

In Texas, BIGGER IS BETTER!

So my dad converted....

He used to have a Mini...

And now has a Nissan Frontier.

TBH, gas is so cheap down South...

And then ya go to California and everyone is trying to 'hip' by driving Prius's.

And that's the US of A!

(We did rent a Buick Verano. The car was surprisingly comfortable.... But it had no OOMPH... It was sluggish to drive.)

So....

What does a Lamy 2000 have to do with a Buick Verano again? :P

On those old Buicks you need the pillow like suspension to smooth out the feel of hitting the curb and running over a few side walks. In modern times we like to avoid hitting the curb altogether so they provide performance suspension and steering for better cornering.

Lamy 2000 is modern unlike the old Buick.

Edited by max dog