Lamy 2000S Are Overrated...

EH86055

Nah I don't think so. Most people can use some common sense and judge for themselves, otherwise most if not all companies would be going out of business.

"Lamy 2000 is overrated" is just a personal opinion after all(the rest is attributable to the seller and anecdote). It's not as if he said "Lamy 2000 killed my family and made me bankrupt", although the latter is perhaps possible.

Very good. I liked this post.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EH86055

• bemon

• pajaro

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seconded. I think the L2K will easily continue to sell into an increaslinly paperless world. I'd put money on the notion that OP will probably bend to peer or self pressure down the road, pick up another L2K and find himself happy with it :)

Nah I don't think so. Most people can use some common sense and judge for themselves, otherwise most if not all companies would be going out of business.

"Lamy 2000 is overrated" is just a personal opinion after all(the rest is attributable to the seller and anecdote). It's not as if he said "Lamy 2000 killed my family and made me bankrupt", although the latter is perhaps possible.

That is the middle ground. I liked it too.

Khan M. Ilyas

Agreed. Not death, but financial ruin and possibly divorce. "You spend HOW much on a PEN???"

While I have expressed fair doubts about the validity of the criticisms of the Lamy, in particular in relation to the clip and filling problems, nor have I seen evidence that "Dymocks sucks", a claim casually boosted directly or by implication by other posters. Those are direct attacks without a shred of evidence or even report regarding actual discussion with Dymocks or their behaviour. So far as we can see, either the issues have not even been raised with them or Eric would rather not mention it, having referred to an unexplained bad relationship. How is this fair opinion? How does this make Dymocks an unscrupulous dealer? That is nigh to defamation.

The "opinion" on Lamy itself would also look different had it not been disputed.

edit:word changes for clarity

Edited by praxim

X

While I have expressed fair doubts about the validity of the criticisms of the Lamy, in particular in relation to the clip and filling problems, nor have I seen evidence that "Dymocks sucks", a claim casually boosted directly or by implication by other posters. Those are direct attacks without a shred of evidence or even report regarding actual discussion with Dymocks or their behaviour. So far as we can see, either the issues have not even been raised with them or Eric would rather not mention it, having referred to an unexplained bad relationship. How is this fair opinion? How does this make Dymocks an unscrupulous dealer? That is nigh to defamation.

The "opinion" on Lamy itself would also look different had it not been disputed.

Hi Praxim, et al,

I think the blame shifted to Dymock's, (warranted or unwarranted), by default; primarily because everyone here knows that Lamy would never send out a pen in the described condition.

It is also my nature to believe people; perhaps that is a flaw of my own character, but when someone tells me something, I always assume it to be the truth... unless I'm presented with hard evidence to the contrary.

Furthermore, I had not heard of Dymock's until this post; so I had no idea if they were above reproach or the most contemptible retailer in the free world.

So, I gave the best advice I could think of... I told the OP to send the pen back to the original manufacturer and let them sort it out... which I still think is the best advice.

- Anthony

Do you mean you do not know why you did not ask Dymocks? If you did, what did they say? Why do you believe a 130+ year old private firm with many stores here and some overseas and with a good reputation (google it) think they could get away with rejection of a legitimate consumer claim in this country? I do not doubt that their staff may have little knowledge of fountain pens, only that the company might not remedy a legitimate problem with a $300 pen.

Regarding the connection between your statements, you say that the Lamy mysteriously twisted its clip with no input from you, then say that the same thing would not happen to your MB149 because it has its own [protective] case. So, you say you will not expose your MB to the same unprotected conditions as the Lamy, presumably because you consider there is risk of damage!

How then can you say the Lamy simply went boom, abruptly, with no external cause, six months after purchase? Besides myself, I quickly counted four other posters questioning the likelihood that the clip on a Lamy 2000 would go boom, rather than being severely boomed upon. If you are approaching Lamy, I fear that this part of your story carries no evident credibility so may damage your case on other issues.

Where was the superglue? You do not mention any repair attempt so how would superglue be applied to a pen in a box or display case? If it was, how did you manage to open it anyway? As already asked by others, why did you not go back to Dymocks then? If there was some altercation, what was their position?

You also mention erratic filling, usually caused by an erratic filler. Problems of that type (filling efficiency) tend to occur systematically rather than at random, if they arise from a fault in the pen.

I am pursuing this because I recall you said you should have titled the thread "Dymocks sucks" yet FPN rules and guidelines say

Perhaps we should just wait to see what Lamy says.

Thank you for presenting a very good argument.

Firstly,about my 149 having a case and my 2000 does not. I had heard that the finish on the Lamy 2000 is quite resistant to scratching,so I felt that it wouldn't need a case. I however feel that my 149 being a less durable,and more expensive pen, requires a case.

Secondly,about why I didn't talk to Dymocks. I had mentioned that I am on bad terms with Dymocks. I however,didn't mention the reason for that,afraid that it would make things go off track,and veryone starts discussing that instead. But I guess I should say it anyway. My within warranty $690 Pilot Custom 743's cap finniel popped off. I guess that was my fault,as I had dropped the pen,although it was in a sleeve(but sleeves aren't very protective). I took it to Dymocks,but they said I have to pay for the repairs. So I think taking a second pen to them wouldn't be a good idea.

About the clip. As I have mentioned many times,I don't know what caused it. I have no clue. Sorry.

Maybe you didn't read my post very well. There was superglue in the threads of the piston knob. I tried twisting it multiple times,it moved slightly. I got a bit of alchohol (I know it's bad for the pen) and soaked the end of the pen in it for around an hour,before trying to twist it again,and it moved.

About the filling,for me,it seems to occur at random.

Thanks for your reply!

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

Do you mean you do not know why you did not ask Dymocks? If you did, what did they say? Why do you believe a 130+ year old private firm with many stores here and some overseas and with a good reputation (google it) think they could get away with rejection of a legitimate consumer claim in this country? I do not doubt that their staff may have little knowledge of fountain pens, only that the company might not remedy a legitimate problem with a $300 pen.

Regarding the connection between your statements, you say that the Lamy mysteriously twisted its clip with no input from you, then say that the same thing would not happen to your MB149 because it has its own [protective] case. So, you say you will not expose your MB to the same unprotected conditions as the Lamy, presumably because you consider there is risk of damage!

How then can you say the Lamy simply went boom, abruptly, with no external cause, six months after purchase? Besides myself, I quickly counted four other posters questioning the likelihood that the clip on a Lamy 2000 would go boom, rather than being severely boomed upon. If you are approaching Lamy, I fear that this part of your story carries no evident credibility so may damage your case on other issues.

Where was the superglue? You do not mention any repair attempt so how would superglue be applied to a pen in a box or display case? If it was, how did you manage to open it anyway? As already asked by others, why did you not go back to Dymocks then? If there was some altercation, what was their position?

You also mention erratic filling, usually caused by an erratic filler. Problems of that type (filling efficiency) tend to occur systematically rather than at random, if they arise from a fault in the pen.

I am pursuing this because I recall you said you should have titled the thread "Dymocks sucks" yet FPN rules and guidelines say

Perhaps we should just wait to see what Lamy says.

Thank you for presenting a very good argument.

Firstly,about my 149 having a case and my 2000 does not. I had heard that the finish on the Lamy 2000 is quite resistant to scratching,so I felt that it wouldn't need a case. I however feel that my 149 being a less durable,and more expensive pen, requires a case.

Secondly,about why I didn't talk to Dymocks. I had mentioned that I am on bad terms with Dymocks. I however,didn't mention the reason for that,afraid that it would make things go off track,and veryone starts discussing that instead. But I guess I should say it anyway. My within warranty $690 Pilot Custom 743's cap finniel popped off. I guess that was my fault,as I had dropped the pen,although it was in a sleeve(but sleeves aren't very protective). I took it to Dymocks,but they said I have to pay for the repairs. So I think taking a second pen to them wouldn't be a good idea.

About the clip. As I have mentioned many times,I don't know what caused it. I have no clue. Sorry.

Maybe you didn't read my post very well. There was superglue in the threads of the piston knob. I tried twisting it multiple times,it moved slightly. I got a bit of alchohol (I know it's bad for the pen) and soaked the end of the pen in it for around an hour,before trying to twist it again,and it moved.

About the filling,for me,it seems to occur at random.

Thanks for your reply!

— Douglas Adams

Well, praxim put a very fine point on it, but I am also bothered by the title of this discussion thread.

The thread title is unfair and damaging to Lamy. Unless people take the time to click and read the thread, they are left with the impression that Lamy makes inferior products. When really, the OP was the victim of an unscrupulous dealer.

I know,this title was a mistake. Sorry for offending any Lamy fans.

— Douglas Adams

Hi Praxim, et al,

I think the blame shifted to Dymock's, (warranted or unwarranted), by default; primarily because everyone here knows that Lamy would never send out a pen in the described condition.

It is also my nature to believe people; perhaps that is a flaw of my own character, but when someone tells me something, I always assume it to be the truth... unless I'm presented with hard evidence to the contrary.

Furthermore, I had not heard of Dymock's until this post; so I had no idea if they were above reproach or the most contemptible retailer in the free world.

So, I gave the best advice I could think of... I told the OP to send the pen back to the original manufacturer and let them sort it out... which I still think is the best advice.

- Anthony

Agreed. Not death, but financial ruin and possibly divorce. "You spend HOW much on a PEN???"

Seconded. I think the L2K will easily continue to sell into an increaslinly paperless world. I'd put money on the notion that OP will probably bend to peer or self pressure down the road, pick up another L2K and find himself happy with it :)

I don't think this was aimed at me,so I won't reply to this.

— Douglas Adams

As a warranty generally covers product defects I don't believe it realistic to have made a claim (for the 743) for damage that you caused. You are not on bad terms with Dymocks, you are angered by them for refusing to front up the cost of repair. Dymocks, with respect to your account, are not deserving of this ire. Own your mistake, bro.

As a warranty generally covers product defects I don't believe it realistic to have made a claim (for the 743) for damage that you caused. You are not on bad terms with Dymocks, you are angered by them for refusing to front up the cost of repair. Dymocks, with respect to your account, are not deserving of this ire. Own your mistake, bro.

Once they send the pen back,I can show you.

Edited by Eric_H

— Douglas Adams

Far from being a flaw it's actually a very positive trait, if cautious.

Edited by Bluey

Thank you, Bluey,... and I appreciate your sage admonishment. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Show me what? You said you dropped the pen and that likely caused the damage. Are you retracting that story now?

No.

I misread your first statement that you didnt believe that the damage was caused by dropping. Sorry.

— Douglas Adams

:)

Can I unsubscribe from this topic? I mean Jesus guys.. the horse has been dead for days.

Thank you, Bluey,... and I appreciate your sage admonishment. :)

- Anthony

I dont think any of that has to do with me,so I wont directy reply.

— Douglas Adams

• 2 weeks later...

Took delivery of my first Lamy 2000 yesterday. It has an extra fine nib. Impeccable pen. Filling it was simple, and as soon as the nib touched paper it was writing as sweet as pie. Love the balance, the look, the feel. I rate this as an extremely classy pen. Only thing is, I can't put it down.