Lamy 2000S Are Overrated...

EH86055

It's also great for meetings. Not to showy, which you don't always want. Even my Vanishing Point draws attention since it shines, but my L2K never gets a comment which makes it a valuable stealth tool in my opinion. Mine travels with me to work every day, but I'm trying to train my hand to write with my M600 more. Mostly because I spent so damn much on it but I don't care for it's writing dynamics. I'm definitely forcing it.

My experience is the diametric opposite: the L2K is the pen which elicits the most comment.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect when I use a pen with an unhooded nib in a public setting this is dismissed as an affectation i.e., "that Hipster is using an old-fashioned pen, ho-hum."

Conversely people seem drawn to the L2K aesthetic, like "what is that matt 1960's sci-fi thing on the boardroom table? I want to examine it.."

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EH86055

• bemon

• pajaro

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My experience is the diametric opposite: the L2K is the pen which elicits the most comment.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect when I use a pen with an unhooded nib in a public setting this is dismissed as an affectation i.e., "that Hipster is using an old-fashioned pen, ho-hum."

Conversely people seem drawn to the L2K aesthetic, like "what is that matt 1960's sci-fi thing on the boardroom table? I want to examine it.."

Interesting comment. I work at a dealership so most people carry nice pen, albeit usually ball point or roller.

Something like a Cross Century, Parker IM etc. In fact I also carry a Duofold rollerball that mostly just lives clipped into my shirt because that's the work place standard.

The sales staff like to carry something nicer than an office Bic with tooth marks for their clients to sign with, and the rest of us in marketing and management just need to dress for success. Part of that is finishing off our look with a stylish pen to compliment our shined shoes :)

So I guess the plain flat black look just doesn't gain attention over a boardroom table full of gleaming black lacquer and chrome pens. Even though my L2K trumps my boss's Century Classic ball point any day. (Thought there's nothing wrong with the Century Classic ballpoint- I have several)

Capped it looks like any cheap rollerball.

I wonder how many have thrown it out or put it in a disappearance pile because they didn't know (or forgot) it was a 2000.

I highly doubt everyone in the room is "oohing" and "ahhing" over the unhooded nib.

Probably helps to draw huge attention to flourishing any FP in the first place.

And most people in meetings have their own agenda and are worried about that and couldn't give a tinkers dam about someone's fancy pen.

I wonder how many have thrown it out or put it in a disappearance pile because they didn't know (or forgot) it was a 2000.

No one experienced, but I bet it's happened. Same with the Vanishing Point.

I couldn't say- I've never brought an obvious fountain pen to a meeting. But if you work in a sales environment then you're working with people who are trained to make observations and keep mental notes for a "casual" conversation down the road.

I highly doubt everyone in the room is "oohing" and "ahhing" over the unhooded nib.

Probably helps to draw huge attention to flourishing any FP in the first place.

And most people in meetings have their own agenda and are worried about that and couldn't give a tinkers dam about someone's fancy pen.

Anecdotal I know, but in my experience not so.

I chose the term "old-fashioned pen" carefully in the post above: fountain pens are outside the cultural memory of the majority of the population today. Most people don't see a "fountain pen" when they encounter one, they see "an old-fashioned pen."

And any societal cues associated with fountain pens were largely lost a generation ago.

What remains -just in my opinion of course- is an appreciation (or even hyper-appreciation) for the aesthetic which is tactile: "see pretty object, touch pretty object."

This happens to my L2K all the time.

I am not going to "rate" my LAMY 2000 at all. I like it. It writes smoothly. The piston functions well. I also have several Safaris and a Vista. They are fine. I suggest that LAMY quality is not the question, but the retail store. I cannot imagine FOUR defective units at one location. They didn't even know enough to remove the damaged pens from sale. Super Glue is not manufacture. It is REPAIR. (Has someone been mishandling the product?)

I hope you can find eventual satisfaction with your LAMY 2000.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

It was in my bag on a trip,and later when I took it out,it was damaged. I don't get what kind of 'extreme force' could have been applied.

You got one of the few defective products that even the highest level of craftsmanship occasionally incurs. NOTHING is perfect. Every once in a while, the urushi on your $15,000 maki-e just wasn't adhered properly and pops off the pen. It's why companies like pilot and lamy have such outstanding customer service. They know their products are good enough that they can offer to replace them without issue, because it's so rare.

If you want to talk about quality that is unbecoming of cost, pelikan and visconti nibs are kind of problematic (but again, peerless customer service and quick resolution to any problems)

For a little reference, I'm a medic. I regularly have a lamy 2k in my breast pocket. I've been PUNCHED right in the pen by violent patients, hooked it on seatbelts regularly jumping out of the ambulance, pressed hard against a gurney while lifting bariatric patients, caught on bedsheets at hospitals, and it's not got so much as a scratch. Nothing is loose. The clip is out there in the open, taking a ton of punishment.

Something weird happened, and that pen was defective to start with. There's a reason stories like yours are insanely uncommon, and you should probably not be so quick to judge a product based on a single bad experience.

It's such a typical consumer attitude to completely disregard an entire company based on one piece of anecdotal evidence. I don't like TWSBI much anymore because every one of the several interactions I've had with Philip Wang has been like pulling teeth. The first time I chalked it up to a bad day, the second and third were where I began to question my interest in continued patronizing of the company.

And the "lamy quality control" with regards to the "lamy sweet spot" is also just disgustingly overblown by a few very squeaky wheels. I was really wary of buying my first one, but I can rotate my 2k as much as any other F nib I own, and actually makes me wish I'd gone for an EF, due to all the "horror" stories I'd heard about the EF being the most "sweet spot" of them all.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

We have a Dymocs here in Perth and they also sell Lamy including the 2000 and to be honest here I looked at one over a week ago and it was in pristine condition, nothing like what you mentioned your post. I just hope that the store you went to is not selling lemons or duds, they should refund you your money or get you a brand new one, simple. Service and postage in this country is nothing but a joke if you ask me, I'm not sure about Sydney, but this backward overrated state of WA definitely is. My first Lamy 2000 was bought online from the Pen Gallery in Malaysia, I paid online etc with my CC and three days later it's at my doorstep, bought another one later here in Perth on ebay shipped from Sydney took well over a week. Anyway I really hope that they sort it out for you. Good luck mate

Thanks!

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

Not sure how you work that one out. I would say that was your fault entirely and you should be more careful with your belongings

Well,I put it in my bag,and when I took it out,boom. I don't know why this would be my fault...

— Douglas Adams

Yeah, the 2000 is overrated "big picture."

But it's a good little pen with a unique design that is affordable for collectors.

I get in the mood for it for 3 months a year.

Dymocks ripped me off for my one...

It's also great for meetings. Not to showy, which you don't always want. Even my Vanishing Point draws attention since it shines, but my L2K never gets a comment which makes it a valuable stealth tool in my opinion. Mine travels with me to work every day, but I'm trying to train my hand to write with my M600 more. Mostly because I spent so damn much on it but I don't care for it's writing dynamics. I'm definitely forcing it.

The Lamy 2000 is proabably stealthy,I can see why,but,me being a student,I don't work around people who have an interest for pens,so it's unclear for me.

— Douglas Adams

I would love to contribute to this,but,sadly,I'm a student,and at school,even my 149 glides past unnoticed,same with anything else.

Edited by Eric_H

— Douglas Adams

I am not going to "rate" my LAMY 2000 at all. I like it. It writes smoothly. The piston functions well. I also have several Safaris and a Vista. They are fine. I suggest that LAMY quality is not the question, but the retail store. I cannot imagine FOUR defective units at one location. They didn't even know enough to remove the damaged pens from sale. Super Glue is not manufacture. It is REPAIR. (Has someone been mishandling the product?)

I hope you can find eventual satisfaction with your LAMY 2000.

Yes, I have a lemon for sure.

— Douglas Adams

You got one of the few defective products that even the highest level of craftsmanship occasionally incurs. NOTHING is perfect. Every once in a while, the urushi on your $15,000 maki-e just wasn't adhered properly and pops off the pen. It's why companies like pilot and lamy have such outstanding customer service. They know their products are good enough that they can offer to replace them without issue, because it's so rare.

If you want to talk about quality that is unbecoming of cost, pelikan and visconti nibs are kind of problematic (but again, peerless customer service and quick resolution to any problems)

For a little reference, I'm a medic. I regularly have a lamy 2k in my breast pocket. I've been PUNCHED right in the pen by violent patients, hooked it on seatbelts regularly jumping out of the ambulance, pressed hard against a gurney while lifting bariatric patients, caught on bedsheets at hospitals, and it's not got so much as a scratch. Nothing is loose. The clip is out there in the open, taking a ton of punishment.

Something weird happened, and that pen was defective to start with. There's a reason stories like yours are insanely uncommon, and you should probably not be so quick to judge a product based on a single bad experience.

It's such a typical consumer attitude to completely disregard an entire company based on one piece of anecdotal evidence. I don't like TWSBI much anymore because every one of the several interactions I've had with Philip Wang has been like pulling teeth. The first time I chalked it up to a bad day, the second and third were where I began to question my interest in continued patronizing of the company.

And the "lamy quality control" with regards to the "lamy sweet spot" is also just disgustingly overblown by a few very squeaky wheels. I was really wary of buying my first one, but I can rotate my 2k as much as any other F nib I own, and actually makes me wish I'd gone for an EF, due to all the "horror" stories I'd heard about the EF being the most "sweet spot" of them all.

I think I was a bit misfortunate with my 2k,yes. The clip was defective from the beginning and I hadn't noticed.

Edited by Eric_H

— Douglas Adams

Hi Eric, I appreciate that you have responded to many people. It appears that in the flurry, about the only thing you neglected was my query on why you would not seek, or believe Dymocks might try to avoid, your obvious rights under consumer law? It was in between the first two posts to which you replied above from your #50 (see #35-#37).

By the by, when you say

Well,I put it in my bag,and when I took it out,boom. I don't know why this would be my fault...

you did not mention whether the bag had been moved at all in between? I note also that you said in reply to oob:

I don't usually store my 149 in a bag, it has its own case.

Would you like to compare and discuss these statements?

I am just trying to clarify things.

thanks

P

X

Hi Eric, I appreciate that you have responded to many people. It appears that in the flurry, about the only thing you neglected was my query on why you would not seek, or believe Dymocks might try to avoid, your obvious rights under consumer law? It was in between the first two posts to which you replied above from your #50 (see #35-#37).

By the by, when you say

you did not mention whether the bag had been moved at all in between? I note also that you said in reply to oob:

Would you like to compare and discuss these statements?

I am just trying to clarify things.

thanks

P

Well,I don't really know why,to be honest. I also dont really know what the relation between my two statements are.

— Douglas Adams

Do you mean you do not know why you did not ask Dymocks? If you did, what did they say? Why do you believe a 130+ year old private firm with many stores here and some overseas and with a good reputation (google it) think they could get away with rejection of a legitimate consumer claim in this country? I do not doubt that their staff may have little knowledge of fountain pens, only that the company might not remedy a legitimate problem with a $300 pen.

Regarding the connection between your statements, you say that the Lamy mysteriously twisted its clip with no input from you, then say that the same thing would not happen to your MB149 because it has its own [protective] case. So, you say you will not expose your MB to the same unprotected conditions as the Lamy, presumably because you consider there is risk of damage!

How then can you say the Lamy simply went boom, abruptly, with no external cause, six months after purchase? Besides myself, I quickly counted four other posters questioning the likelihood that the clip on a Lamy 2000 would go boom, rather than being severely boomed upon. If you are approaching Lamy, I fear that this part of your story carries no evident credibility so may damage your case on other issues.

Where was the superglue? You do not mention any repair attempt so how would superglue be applied to a pen in a box or display case? If it was, how did you manage to open it anyway? As already asked by others, why did you not go back to Dymocks then? If there was some altercation, what was their position?

You also mention erratic filling, usually caused by an erratic filler. Problems of that type (filling efficiency) tend to occur systematically rather than at random, if they arise from a fault in the pen.

I am pursuing this because I recall you said you should have titled the thread "Dymocks sucks" yet FPN rules and guidelines say

• ..... While objective reviews are welcomed, attacks on individual companies, their owners or their staff will not be entertained.

Perhaps we should just wait to see what Lamy says.

X

Well, praxim put a very fine point on it, but I am also bothered by the title of this discussion thread.

The thread title is unfair and damaging to Lamy. Unless people take the time to click and read the thread, they are left with the impression that Lamy makes inferior products. When really, the OP was the victim of an unscrupulous dealer.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

The thread title is unfair and damaging to Lamy.

Nah I don't think so. Most people can use some common sense and judge for themselves, otherwise most if not all companies would be going out of business.

"Lamy 2000 is overrated" is just a personal opinion after all(the rest is attributable to the seller and anecdote). It's not as if he said "Lamy 2000 killed my family and made me bankrupt", although the latter is perhaps possible.

Edited by Bluey