Lamy 2000S Are Overrated...

EH86055

That's certainly a good idea that I may try,thanks!

Hello Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to read my comments and respond. :)

Yes, I definitely think it would behoove you to go STRAIGHT to the source and send the pen directly to their HQ in Germany; especially since this is such an extreme case... I've NEVER heard of an L2K being sold as new in such a deplorable state.

I've heard great things about Lamy service; so I'm sure everything will be made right for you.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EH86055

• bemon

• pajaro

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was in my bag on a trip,and later when I took it out,it was damaged. I don't get what kind of 'extreme force' could have been applied.

If it was not twisted before you put it in the bag, I doubt it mysteriously moved by itself.

X

I've got 5 Lamy 2000 in my pen collection, 3 black makrolons and 2 stainless steel ones, to be honest I've never encountered any problems with mine and mine are all smooth writers apart from one which I think the nib needs a bit of adjustment but nothing serous it still writes. All mine are in perfect writing condition, and clips are in perfect working order. Now what I don't quite understand is you bought a Lamy 2000 that actually turned out to be a lemon if I'm correct, so why did you continue to use it and keep it when you knew the thing was faulty, I would of retuned it straight away and ask for a brand new replacement or refund my money, simple. And why was Dymocs in Sydney stocking faulty Lamy 2000 pens, c'mon surely they must of known. The Lamy 2000 is one of my favourite fountain pens and I use one at work almost every day and never had issues with it. And yes Lamy 2000 here are a rip off compared to the rest of the world

I personally feel that the Lamy 2000 is overrated. I bought one early this year,and my 6 months so far with it haven't been ideal. I encountered issues while at the Dymocks in Sydney CBD before I even bought the pen. They had 4 in stock,and I requested to see them. I instantly dismissed two as potention choices,as one had a very bent nib,and the other had tines so misaligned that I could see then without focusing. The two left were mostly ok. One had what appeared to be a factory defect on the white dot at the end of the piston knob though. I chose the only one without any damage,and bought it for $320 AUD. When I got home,after flushing,I tried to do a first fill. But when I twisted the piston knob-oh wait-I couldn't. It was completely stuck with what I later found was superglue?! What was that doing there??? But after some work,I got the piston to turn. It filled without fault,but it wouldn't get a full fill. I set that aside,as it's not strange for first fills to be hard. When I started writing, the pen skipped every now and then,and I determined that was 'baby's bottom',though it wasn't severe. I didn't know Lamy pens get baby's bottom. But,after even more work,I fixed that. The next 5 months were mostly problem free,with occasional filling difficulty for reasons I couldn't find. But then,last week, the clip twisted. I don't know how,but it did. I'm sure you don't know what I mean by 'twisted',but there's a picture down there(My MB 149 is pictured,to show what a clip in the right position is like,and also because I like showing off).

That's about it for now.

Thanks for reading.

Wow. I've had 4 L2K's and still have three (different nib sizes). One I keep as part of my daily carry. A few friends have and regularly use theirs too without issue. Other than the infamously small sweet spot they've all been tiresome performers.

I'd agree with "oob", your issue is with a shady retailer.

Hello Eric,

Yes, I definitely think it would behoove you to go STRAIGHT to the source and send the pen directly to their HQ in Germany; especially since this is such an extreme case... I've NEVER heard of an L2K being sold as new in such a deplorable state.

I've heard great things about Lamy service; so I'm sure everything will be made right for you.

- Anthony

Yeah, this. Because I hope you can get yourself into a proper L2K, but on top of that if I was Lamy I'd like to know that there's a store out there selling damaged goods as new.

If you had the acumen to choose a Montblanc 149, why in the world would you choose a Lamy 2000 in that condition, or even buy anything from a dealer with such damaged wares to offer? The OP should have simply left that place of nincompoopery.

Well,actually,the clip was Lamy's fault,and it wasn't damaged when I bought it. I had stored it in my bag on a trip,and later,when I took it out to write,the clip was ruined.

Can we agree to keep your 149 out of the magic bag, lest those frightful rotters at Lamy damage the clip on that as well?

First off, I'm sorry this happened, as it may have turned you off to a pen that is both an icon and one many of us here have great personal experiences with.

In these cases, you're buying the seller as much as you are the pen, and the seller definitely underperformed for you. There shouldn't be a drop of glue anywhere in or around your pen. Glue is anathema to fountain pens.

I agree with my esteemed colleagues around here, that this should be brought to Lamy's attention; it's a disservice to you and them.

Hello Eric,

- Anthony

Yes, thanks for wishing me luck. I'm planning to ship it off in a few days,we'll see how that goes.

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

If it was not twisted before you put it in the bag, I doubt it mysteriously moved by itself.

Seems like that's what happened though... Quite strange,yes.

— Douglas Adams

I've got 5 Lamy 2000 in my pen collection, 3 black makrolons and 2 stainless steel ones, to be honest I've never encountered any problems with mine and mine are all smooth writers apart from one which I think the nib needs a bit of adjustment but nothing serous it still writes. All mine are in perfect writing condition, and clips are in perfect working order. Now what I don't quite understand is you bought a Lamy 2000 that actually turned out to be a lemon if I'm correct, so why did you continue to use it and keep it when you knew the thing was faulty, I would of retuned it straight away and ask for a brand new replacement or refund my money, simple. And why was Dymocs in Sydney stocking faulty Lamy 2000 pens, c'mon surely they must of known. The Lamy 2000 is one of my favourite fountain pens and I use one at work almost every day and never had issues with it. And yes Lamy 2000 here are a rip off compared to the rest of the world

I'm on bad terms with Dymocks,so I didn't return it,as it would have caused more trouble than gain, so soon I'll be shipping it off to Lamy to let them know how their dealers are dealing with their products.

— Douglas Adams

Wow. I've had 4 L2K's and still have three (different nib sizes). One I keep as part of my daily carry. A few friends have and regularly use theirs too without issue. Other than the infamously small sweet spot they've all been tiresome performers.

I'd agree with "oob", your issue is with a shady retailer.

True as well,Everyone has let me know that already. But,my view of the 2000 is forvever tainted,though the fault lies with Dymocks... Edited by Eric_H

— Douglas Adams

Yeah, this. Because I hope you can get yourself into a proper L2K, but on top of that if I was Lamy I'd like to know that there's a store out there selling damaged goods as new.

I guess maybe one day I might buy another 2000,but my budget for this year is gone after I bought a 149!

— Douglas Adams

Can we agree to keep your 149 out of the magic bag, lest those frightful rotters at Lamy damage the clip on that as well?

Lol,good one. I don't usually store my 149 in a bag,it has its own case.

— Douglas Adams

First off, I'm sorry this happened, as it may have turned you off to a pen that is both an icon and one many of us here have great personal experiences with.

In these cases, you're buying the seller as much as you are the pen, and the seller definitely underperformed for you. There shouldn't be a drop of glue anywhere in or around your pen. Glue is anathema to fountain pens.

I agree with my esteemed colleagues around here, that this should be brought to Lamy's attention; it's a disservice to you and them.

Yes,I will be sending the pen to Lamy soon.

— Douglas Adams

We have a Dymocs here in Perth and they also sell Lamy including the 2000 and to be honest here I looked at one over a week ago and it was in pristine condition, nothing like what you mentioned your post. I just hope that the store you went to is not selling lemons or duds, they should refund you your money or get you a brand new one, simple. Service and postage in this country is nothing but a joke if you ask me, I'm not sure about Sydney, but this backward overrated state of WA definitely is. My first Lamy 2000 was bought online from the Pen Gallery in Malaysia, I paid online etc with my CC and three days later it's at my doorstep, bought another one later here in Perth on ebay shipped from Sydney took well over a week. Anyway I really hope that they sort it out for you. Good luck mate

I'm on bad terms with Dymocks,so I didn't return it,as it would have caused more trouble than gain, so soon I'll be shipping it off to Lamy to let them know how their dealers are dealing with their products.

I do not recall reading why you are on bad terms with Dymocks, such that you might not seek remedy or they might not accept responsibilities unavoidable under Australian Consumer Law.

edit:clarity

Edited by praxim

X

Well,actually,the clip was Lamy's fault,and it wasn't damaged when I bought it. I had stored it in my bag on a trip,and later,when I took it out to write,the clip was ruined.

Not sure how you work that one out. I would say that was your fault entirely and you should be more careful with your belongings

Edited by Bluey

True as well,Everyone has let me know that already. But,my view of the 2000 is forvever tainted,though the fault lies with Dymocks...

I get that, it only takes one negative experience to put a bad taste in your mouth. Point in case, I could service my car walking distance from work or I could drive farther, plan out my day ahead of time and pay extra for an Uber to get to the Ford dealer farther away. Why? Because Donway Ford is staffed by jack asses.

Yeah, the 2000 is overrated "big picture."

But it's a good little pen with a unique design that is affordable for collectors.

I get in the mood for it for 3 months a year.

Yeah, the 2000 is overrated "big picture."

But it's a good little pen with a unique design that is affordable for collectors.

I get in the mood for it for 3 months a year.

It's also great for meetings. Not to showy, which you don't always want. Even my Vanishing Point draws attention since it shines, but my L2K never gets a comment which makes it a valuable stealth tool in my opinion. Mine travels with me to work every day, but I'm trying to train my hand to write with my M600 more. Mostly because I spent so damn much on it but I don't care for it's writing dynamics. I'm definitely forcing it.