The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Did I Miss? (Unusual Skyline)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:36

Just noticed this BIN auction ended today. It's from a seller that occasionally has interesting pens I've passed on for the blurry photos. The pen is a Skyline with a cap that is either very worn/modified, or else one I've never seen before. He mentions that it's marked "1/10 14k Y.G.F." but describes it as silver/white gold in color. At a glance, the photos show a silver cap with a gold band. Anyone have any insight into what this might be?

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! —> Conklin Nozac Penline (grey checked) | Sheaffer: Jr. Truncated (blue & black); OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance 3-25 (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-25 (roseglow + green); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Thorobred (brown/red stripe); Lady Patricia (black, nacre, persian) | Pelikan 100/N (grey, wartime trim) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); early BCHR (nickel roller clip) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal, Webster, etc. (silver web, grey marble, etc.)

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:48

A good deal.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:02

The cap is not Sterling silver, obviously, but could it be worn Vermeil? I do not know which markings Vermeil caps had.

But you do not expect a silver clip and silver lever on a Vermeil cap. I have never seen a Skyline with a silver lever anyway.

A rare pen and somebody got an excellent deal indeed.

#4 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 18:58

The cap is not Sterling silver, obviously, but could it be worn Vermeil? I do not know which markings Vermeil caps had.

But you do not expect a silver clip and silver lever on a Vermeil cap. I have never seen a Skyline with a silver lever anyway.

The cap does indeed bear the metal content imprint consistent with Vermeil.The seller notes that the "lines" on the cap are not "embossed." And there is a spot near the lever at the top of the cap where traces of gold apparently remain (the photos could be deceptive here). Taken together, perhaps this does indicate a worn/modified Vermeil cap. According to David Nishimura in a thread from years ago:

during the war quite a few Skylines were made with gold filled over silver caps, but they were invariably marked with the gold content. Polishing the gold surface down to the silver is possible, however the metal content stamps would remain.

If the lever, clip, and clip hardware were also Vermeil on the wartime pens, perhaps these too have been polished down to the underlying sterling(?) The other possibility is that this was a factory job, resembling a Parker 51 wedding band cap. But like I said, I've personally never seen any other examples of such a beast.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! —> Conklin Nozac Penline (grey checked) | Sheaffer: Jr. Truncated (blue & black); OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance 3-25 (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-25 (roseglow + green); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Thorobred (brown/red stripe); Lady Patricia (black, nacre, persian) | Pelikan 100/N (grey, wartime trim) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); early BCHR (nickel roller clip) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal, Webster, etc. (silver web, grey marble, etc.)

#5 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 19:04

Just for ducks, here's the closest I've come to owning a coveted white-capped Skyline:

WdmwGsv.jpg

Oddly enough, that's a breather hole next to the clip – not a dent. A pale imitation of the genuine article I've long been hunting in SS or Sterling.

Edited by Estragon, 18 June 2017 - 19:51.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

#6 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2017 - 20:56

Just for ducks, here's the closest I've come to owning a coveted white-capped Skyline:

Oddly enough, that's a breather hole next to the clip – not a dent. A pale imitation of the genuine article I've long been hunting in SS or Sterling.

I am a bit confused: that is not an Eversharp I guess (rather looks like one of these Indian made Skyline copies).

#7 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 21:20

From the photos, the eBay pen doesn't look to have silver-colored trim: on my screen, clip and lever seem decidedly more gold in color, despite the text description.

My bet would be this is a heavily polished wartime cap, yellow gold filled over silver. The other trim on these pens also typically show a white metal substrate when the gold fill layer is worn through -- though as noted, it may well not be worn through at all.

#8 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 21:57

I am a bit confused: that is not an Eversharp I guess (rather looks like one of these Indian made Skyline copies).

Yep, it's a cheap Japanese knockoff called "The Navy Pen," made by the Ohmi Yoko Co.

From the photos, the eBay pen doesn't look to have silver-colored trim: on my screen, clip and lever seem decidedly more gold in color, despite the text description.

My bet would be this is a heavily polished wartime cap, yellow gold filled over silver. The other trim on these pens also typically show a white metal substrate when the gold fill layer is worn through -- though as noted, it may well not be worn through at all.

Thanks for chiming in, David. I'd wondered if I might've set your ears to itching! Such discrepancies would definitely square with my own past exchanges with this particular seller, whom I believe has good intentions but is somewhat unreliable in his descriptions on occasion. In either case, it appears that joss' Vermeil hypothesis hits the mark. Certainly something to be filed it under things to watch out for when angling for Skylines.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

#9 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:59

I've also noticed that this seller confuses silver and gold colors quite often.

The collector formerly known as
RobertNFrappuls

#10 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:50

I'll have to tell you sometime about pranking a color-blind collector friend . . . .

Sponsored Content

|