An Executive Ringtop - Really!

sidthecat

I got this little fellow the other day - it came from Lisbon. It looks like an Executive, although the surface seems more like celluloid than lacquer. It's a wonderful bronze-and-green menage. It has the fluted section and recessed rings of this model...BUT IT'S A RINGTOP!

It's a splendid thing, whatever it is, and I love the snap cap - it's what ringtops should have had all along.

Filling it, though...

I have a converter around her somewhere, but does this pen accept a contemporary converter?

And the nib! It's a nail! I may have to pluck it out and swap in an Ideal nib. So it's a bit of a project, but what a pretty thing! Was this a stock design or am I looking at a custom job? I wouldn't have expected Waterman to make a ringtop so late.

Opinions, please. Pictures below.

fpn_1497670372__img_3412.jpg

fpn_1497670459__img_3413.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• amk

• Left FPN

• Christopher Godfrey

Have a look at the Lady Charlottes and Anastasia's 1990-2000. In that group but yours is a lovely example of that line.

regards

The Suspension Loop if you don't mind :D ahhh those young wordsmiths at Waterman.

My catalogues only show it fitted on the ballpoint versions of the Lady Charlotte. The colour is not shown.

The nib will be steel plated in gold...proven by the lack of a gold stamp.

They seem to have turned out a lot of models in the "Greed is Good" days. What I seem to have stumbled across is a "Lady Elsa", a small run of pens which were clad in a casein-based material called Galalith. The nibs are plated, so I'll see if I can't put in a real one in its place.

Here's a picture of a lineup - mine's the one in the middle:

fpn_1497683774__img_3415.jpg

Someone has a very nice set there :)

Galalith (Erinoid in the United Kingdom) is a synthetic plastic material manufactured by the interaction of casein and formaldehyde.

Yes, you will need one of these...which are not for sale

Yes, that's a Waterman Lady, Elsa I think - which had steel nibs, and the Lady Agathe had gold, usually. I'm not quite sure where the ring-tops fit but they do come up from time to time.I think the story is that Waterman came across stocks of old celluloid and galalith and the decision was taken to use them for sometimes a little different; anyway, they're lovely pens.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I think I'll ask Mr. Minuskin to jimjick an Ideal nib into the thing. I have some busted pens with nice nibs.

Wow, that's a pretty pen you got yourself there. Of course after seeing the "family portrait" I could really find myself lusting after the grey and pink one (2nd from the left).

And I don't even normally look at Waterman pens because I know so little about the brand (yeah, I know, it's one of the top-tier companies, yadda yadda, but beyond that...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm astonished to find them making a ringtop so late. The style didn't make it out of the Thirties - but then again neither did the Weimar Republic.

Waterman in the 70s and 80s was going back to its great heritage (as indeed were other brands, Parker with the Big Red and Sheaffer with the No-Nonsense flat top) in search of ideas. While the C/F and Concorde were gloriously modern designs, Waterman also came out with a number of pens that looked back rather than forwards, and I think the ringtop was one of those nods to the past - a quite deliberate archaism. They keep doing it - the Man Patrician recapitulates the decorated bands of the original Patrician, and the Charleston doffs its cap to the Hundred Year Pen.

That really is a lovely pen. Get a nice nib in it and enjoy!

The converter finally arrived, so I've started using the pen. It's more expressive than I expected; faintly flexible and slightly italic.

I'm still going to pop in a gold nib if I can get my hand on one, because I'm a woman of pretentions.

I saw a busted Executive on eBay and got it for twenty bucks and change, so I've got my fingers crossed that the nib's in decent shape. That the pen is already missing the gold ring that separates nib from section, I'll feel like less of a vandal to take out the nib.

This thread has brought me luck; I've just picked up two of these little Ladies in two days! I'll have to wait a while for one of them to arrive, but I'll post a pic of my mini-collection once I get it.

Well done, you! Where did you find them, if it's not too personal?

Here you are: sorry for the rather gloomy pic, we've had thunderstorms all day and it's black out there! I'm rather pleased with this little lot. You can't really see the red highlights on the middle one. The box by the way is a Dunhill cigarette box I picked up a while back at a flea market.

http://i.imgur.com/GMQvkmhl.jpg

That blue merle job is very pretty in the right light. Do let me know if you ever fall out of love with it.

@Force: <...ahhh those young wordsmiths at Waterman>

I know just what you mean, Force; but don't get me started -- been living in this country for too long! How about this word: "jimjick"? Have you <any> idea what that person (above) might have meant? (Oh, ssssh: don't say it out loud: she might still be reading/listening!) :D