A Pen And Ink Log

Tom Kellie

~ It turns out that the pen and ink method which Zdenek uses is inspiring in a different direction.

He has individual pages for each pen, recording each times it's inked.

Doing so provides an easy-to-see record of any given pen's use with various inks.

That's a twist I'd never considered. In the coming days I'll mull over a ‘page per pen’ ink log.

This thread benefits from the excellent ideas of experienced members.

Tom K.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Tas

• AlohaLani787

• Zdenek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How very inspiring this thread was!

Thank you Tom for starting it and all who contributed.

I have to say I didn't think about having such a log until i read your posts. I only have a small collection (around a dozen pens), and tend not to change ink in them often - some of them are actually more or less dedicated to an ink.

What I wanted to have is an ink book, for a similar use as Tas' beautiful ink bottles; see and compare inks before using them. I decided I would go for a ring file for this, which would allow me to take each page out and put inks literally side by side.

Then came Parkerwasmyfirstlove's great pen drawings in the 'Art Gallery' thread.

Then this thread and all your ideas, in particular Zdenek's idea to have a page for each pen. It all came together.

Here is my brand new pen log file, then - with only 3 pens covered at the moment. (the dates are the date of purchase). I'll keep it free and either just write a date or do a little sketch at each change of ink. I will also use this file for inks, but I will work on this later.

119782442.jpg

With the original pens:

783069621.jpg

I'm starting to think this will 'encourage' me to change inks in my pens more often..

Thank you again for these great ideas that I wouldn't have had on my own (and for the nice saturday afternoon I had putting this together).

Edited by EBGBs

Nice work! Thanks for showing that idea, it's a great one. Good to start now too while the collection is still small enough, once you get a couple hundred pens in the box... well, you know... :D

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

• 10 months later...

fpn_1534540257__log.jpg

~ After 14 months of using the pen and ink log it's become an integral part of my writing desk paraphernalia.

Earlier this year I somehow stopped adding the date inked. The most recent inking has included date again.

It's a tool for keeping me honest about which inks have been more used and which pens have been neglected.

Nothing fancy, nothing beautiful. Yet its utilitarian functionality has met a need in my writing.

Looking over past entries reminds me of ink and nib combinations which were especially satisfactory.

While there's no favorites, Montblanc Royal Blue has been the trusted ink used to get to know newly arrived pens.

The examples others posted helped me to modify my own entries to be more useful.

Tom K.

I use this method on loose A4 sheets to recall how inks look on the paper I sketch with:

That's worth framing it's so eye pleasing.

Edit: I botched the Quote. I am referring to the ink colors displayed in sketched bottles earlier in this thread.

Edited by AlohaLani787

fpn_1534540257__log.jpg

~ After 14 months of using the pen and ink log it's become an integral part of my writing desk paraphernalia.

Earlier this year I somehow stopped adding the date inked. The most recent inking has included date again.

It's a tool for keeping me honest about which inks have been more used and which pens have been neglected.

Nothing fancy, nothing beautiful. Yet its utilitarian functionality has met a need in my writing.

Looking over past entries reminds me of ink and nib combinations which were especially satisfactory.

While there's no favorites, Montblanc Royal Blue has been the trusted ink used to get to know newly arrived pens.

The examples others posted helped me to modify my own entries to be more useful.

Tom K.

The kaleidoscope of colors is mesmerizing!

Edited by AlohaLani787

This thread has presented impressive ideas for creating and maintaining pen and ink inventories. I'll be updating mine based on methods employed by others. My current notebook is a cheapie that I've tabbed for each pen.

One piece of data I didn't see included yet on anyone's book is the pen's serial number. The main page for each of my pens lists the year and place of purchase, formal pen description followed by serial number. I also indicate if I have the box and papers.

I photocopy the main pages and put them in a safe place in case I need an inventory and something happens to the book. Some of you have extensive and valuable collections so perhaps your inventory list is separate from these notebooks.

This thread has presented impressive ideas for creating and maintaining pen and ink inventories. I'll be updating mine based on methods employed by others. My current notebook is a cheapie that I've tabbed for each pen. One piece of data I didn't see included yet on anyone's book is the pen's serial number. The main page for each of my pens lists the year and place of purchase, formal pen description followed by serial number. I also indicate if I have the box and papers. I photocopy the main pages and put them in a safe place in case I need an inventory and something happens to the book. Some of you have extensive and valuable collections so perhaps your inventory list is separate from these notebooks.

~ AlohaLani787:

It's nice to know that the posts in this thread have provided useful ideas.

If it's comfortable and convenient, it would be most welcome to see an image of your approach to a pen and ink inventory.

Seeing how others approach the recording of what inks they've used has been an education.

My own pen and ink log is primarily used to remind me of which inks are under-used and which pens have sat un-inked for too long.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Tom K.

If it's comfortable and convenient, it would be most welcome to see an image of your approach to a pen and ink inventory.

Seeing how others approach the recording of what inks they've used has been an education.

My notebook is nothing special at all. In fact, it's rather sloppy compared to what I've seen in this thread. I've blocked the SN and location information.

The pages were written for each pen or rollerball with whatever ink was in them at the time. The ink inventory page is a mere list of inks and cartridges with the price paid for each.

I apologize in advance for the terrible photo. I snapped it with my phone while next to my computer. It does no favor to the beautiful Montblanc Emerald Green ink.

Came back to edit: I should have mentioned that this "method" is used for almost everything of notable value, although the notebooks are unique to each type of item. It's an easy way to document. The page copies and actual laminated receipts are placed into small manilla envelopes with the item's name in one corner. I've done this as a common way to record for insurance purposes as I do live in an area with the potential for annual weather catastrophes.

post-144189-0-45814900-1534628021_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlohaLani787

That notebook is just one of the coolest things ever!

~ AriQuiteContrary:

Thank you so much!

It's a pleasure to use.

The fish on the cover remind me that there are many nice inks available just as there are so many kinds of fish in the ocean.

Tom K.

The kaleidoscope of colors is mesmerizing!

~ AlohaLani787:

It's the diversity of hues, shades and tones which appeal to me.

Writing with a fountain pen and ink is a means of enhancing self-expression.

Having a wealth of colors on the writing desk facilitates a greater range of visual dynamics.

I'm so pleased that you liked it! Thank you for telling me.

Tom K.

I was inspired by this thread to create my own log.

fpn_1534666809__arilog.png

~ AriQuiteContrary:

I like it!

The subtle dot grid looks just right.

Seeing yours nudges me to be more disciplined about including the date inked.

You comment on the inks. Hmm... That's a good idea.

I need to loosen up a bit and do likewise.

Thank you for posting the image here.

Tom K.

My notebook is nothing special at all. In fact, it's rather sloppy compared to what I've seen in this thread. I've blocked the SN and location information.

The pages were written for each pen or rollerball with whatever ink was in them at the time. The ink inventory page is a mere list of inks and cartridges with the price paid for each.

I apologize in advance for the terrible photo. I snapped it with my phone while next to my computer. It does no favor to the beautiful Montblanc Emerald Green ink.

Came back to edit: I should have mentioned that this "method" is used for almost everything of notable value, although the notebooks are unique to each type of item. It's an easy way to document. The page copies and actual laminated receipts are placed into small manilla envelopes with the item's name in one corner. I've done this as a common way to record for insurance purposes as I do live in an area with the potential for annual weather catastrophes.

fpn_1534667564__emerald_green_log.jpg

~ AlohaLani787:

Thank you for posting your interesting approach to a pen and ink inventory.

The Montblanc Emerald Green ink looks very nice in use.

I'd never thought of listing all inks somewhere. Maybe that needs to be added.

My own pen and ink log amounts to ‘what's used and when’.

I like the comprehensive information which you include.

Tom K.

This is a random page of my ink journal. I started to have one when I started to forget what was in what, around the end of 2017.

At the beginning I used a tiny notepad and stuck the page like a post-it note to the bookshelf next to my desk. But I had to write so tiny my poor eyesight soon disagreed with this method.

Enter the A4 notebook, stage left.

fpn_1534670519__ink_journal_01.jpg

fpn_1534670575__ink_journal_02.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pictures, I don't have a steady hand.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Another fantastic thread!

I've recently moved to a new notebook & format

fpn_1534703604__20180819_123029.jpg

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Another fantastic thread!

I've recently moved to a new notebook & format

fpn_1534703604__20180819_123029.jpg

That's a nice one. What is it?

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

That's a nice one. What is it?

Thanks! Made it myself. I like the idea of being able to compare many inks on one page at a glance and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so....

Edited by Shannon

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!