Looking For The Last Pen I 'need' And Would Like Advice

Bold2013

Hey everyone. I have been at this pen thing for 4 years and am trying to find the last pen I 'need'.

I'm looking for a wide wet nib broad or bigger with a preference for stubs and CIs. I perfer C/c over piston fillers, ebonite over acrylic, clips and not posting. Writing triumphs everything. Budget 300ish

Pens that have caught my eye:

Sheaffer legacy with factory stub

Montblanc 24,14 with B or BB

Noodler neponset with after market nib and 308 cartridge (don't mind tinkering)

FC

Conid

P205 with factory italic

Graf von Faber castell intuition

Pendleton brown Lamy 2K

Any experience with the above or any other suggestions.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bold2013

• Bo Bo Olson

• corgicoupe

• ColdDeadHand

The only pen on your list I've remotely had any experience with would be (if I'm reading the list correctly) is a Pelikan M205 with an IM nib. And I can tell you that nib was WET. It was a gusher even by Pelikan standards -- and even when I tried the pen with a relatively dry iron gall ink. I swapped the nib unit out (after having it tweaked a bit) for a nicely tuned B nib. Then lost the pen a couple of months later.... :crybaby:

Ironically, I still have the IM nib unit, but don't have a spare pen to put it in. I suppose I could stick it in my remaining M200 because the M nib it came with is kinda just, well, there.... It's not bad, it's not skipping like the B nib on my first Café Crème (sadly also lost) did before I got the nib tuned, it's not particularly wet or dry (okay, it's a bit dry for a Pelikan, but the pen was also free, so I can't complain. It's just sort of blah. The B nib on my M405 Stresemann is a little boring but not as bad (and unlike the nib on the first Café Crème, that nib DOESN't skip or need tuning :thumbup:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It takes very little time for Need to devolve into Desire, and the next thing you know you have a drawerful of pens that need sacs.

Hi,

For the most part I suggest finding the pen that suits you best, then have the nib shaped and tuned to your taste.

(One of my favourite writers is a Parker Newhaven Duofold whose nib was stubbed and tuned to 'dry' by the renowned Mr Binder - OooLaLa.)

Kindly consider a Sheaffer Targa with a B nib. I have but one such, and the nib is nicely stubbish. (Targas in Sterling silver jangle my bangles.)

As a matter of personal preference, shaped nibs approximately 0.7mm on the down-stroke are OK for daily writing.

Let the adventure continue...

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Osmia/Osmia-Faber-Castell. I have two in OBB or as Osmia puts it BBL, BB left foot.

Mostly have a number (3 or 4) in the Osmia Diamond on a semi-flex. I do have a small nib with no number. For Maxi-semi-flex find one with a Supra nib. Steel or Gold equally grand.

Osmia sold it's nib factory to Degussa in 1932.

1936 Faber Castell started buy8ing into Osmai. 1938 the Boehler brothers split their firm Osmia. Boehler kept the same model markings and size.

@'50 Faber Castell finishes buying up Osmia. They made only second tier pens and needed Osmia as a big name first tier pen................then the ego of the bought a Dukedom dumb, Faber Castell's started erasing Osmia from the pen. By the end of the decade, Osmia was off the pen, except for the Diamond nib.

Osmia-Faber-Castell 540, steel Supra nib.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/faber_osmia_62_f_marbled_3_zpsymd0irev.jpg

1938-40 Boehler 540 Gold (Gold was the name for Boehler's top of the line models) Tortoise.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/3peCUqOKR1A01282498390S_zpsngdo0mlm.jpg

Boehler BCHR pens. I have some Osmia ones too.

Needing a bit of bling to sell his new brand....and Hitler stole the gold in the summer of '38, Boehler used gold plated Italian nibs. That was the only way to get 'gold' on a nib then.

He went over to steel Degussa nibs marked for his company later.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/B0ijipgEWkKGrHqMOKiUETrJ6spBMvK46y_3%20-%20Copy_zps6axunzo9.jpg

Osmia-Faber-Castel 62...someone else's picture....I do have a black and gold 62 but my similar pen is a 540 Osmia-Faber-Castel. Used this picture to show the Osmia Diamond on the nib with in this case a size 2.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/faber_osmia_62_f_marbled_kompl3_zpswqya6snw.jpg

Osmia made, medium small pens, that were very IN back in those days. Everyone made Pelikan 140 size pens, standard sized pens and medium-large pens. I have a 76 BCHR which is nice girthed medium-large pen.

If you hunt long enough on German Ebay, you will have luck. I posted 10 German words for fountain pen last month so do a search.

Out side of Pelikan, every German pen in color, will cost you 1/3 more than the common black and gold.

Often the pens of color were made for export..........It is my guess the German writing worker feared having a better or more flashy pen than his boss. Osmia has some 4 different cap jewels and 5 or so different clips. But the Osmia Diamond cap jewel, the Osmia clip....sat there and thumbed it's nose at MB.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Last pen, huh? I have a few of those...

Lovely pens, Bo Bo.

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

If you like EF or F nibs, the FC and GvFC are very hard to beat for a reliable fountain pen

Given your wish list, you might look at the ebonite pens with European nibs at Peyton Street Pens. Also, a relatively new customer pen maker in India, Krishna Pens, is doing some beautiful work in lacquered ebonite, and can apparently fit your choice of nibs. Both are capable of adjusting a pen to your taste, I'm sure. But neither of these sources will make much of a dent in your budget.

ron

The only pen on your list I've remotely had any experience with would be (if I'm reading the list correctly) is a Pelikan M205 with an IM nib. And I can tell you that nib was WET. It was a gusher even by Pelikan standards -- and even when I tried the pen with a relatively dry iron gall ink. I swapped the nib unit out (after having it tweaked a bit) for a nicely tuned B nib. Then lost the pen a couple of months later.... :crybaby:

Ironically, I still have the IM nib unit, but don't have a spare pen to put it in. I suppose I could stick it in my remaining M200 because the M nib it came with is kinda just, well, there.... It's not bad, it's not skipping like the B nib on my first Café Crème (sadly also lost) did before I got the nib tuned, it's not particularly wet or dry (okay, it's a bit dry for a Pelikan, but the pen was also free, so I can't complain. It's just sort of blah. The B nib on my M405 Stresemann is a little boring but not as bad (and unlike the nib on the first Café Crème, that nib DOESN't skip or need tuning :thumbup:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

How do you lose so many pens, Ruth?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Hey everyone. I have been at this pen thing for 4 years and am trying to find the last pen I 'need'.

Thanks

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but the last pen you need is the last pen you bought. At least that is my experience.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I love Pelikans and vintage Parkers. My "last pen" would be one of those with custom nib work.

What do you love?

I can stop any time.

-Me

I would get a Franklin Christoph with multiple nibs. They are easy to change, replace, and collect (as in all the nib sizes). Plus, you could get the steel or the gold variations.

Lamy joy, with a 1.1 italic nib.

IMHO, the Lamy italic nib is really a CI nib.

It can be adjusted to write WET.

Mine does a great job on Christmas cards.

You do NOT post a joy, the long tapered tail gives the pen a nice balance.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Well it happened... my Grail pen with a broad nib came for sale at a great price and I snatched it up

now for inks...

Well it happened... my Grail pen with a broad nib came for sale at a great price and I snatched it up

now for inks...

Another bottomless pit to fall into.

I have way more ink than I can use, and I'm still buying ink . . . why ???

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have way more ink than I can use, and I'm still buying ink . . . why ???

Yes....WHY???

I have a problem.

I can stop any time.

-Me

I only have 50 of the 100 mainland Euro inks....few Diamine....in it is not mainland, a different field. Hundreds of Noodler inks...............lots of Japanese .... and I don't speak Japanese so don't know what color they are.

Make that 200 mainland Euro inks in there are two 'new' fairly large selection ink companies. New with in the last 3-5 years.

When one is retired there is a new word one learns......!@#$%^&*Budget. :angry: Inkwise I can't even keep up with the Smiths, much less the Jones. :(

I have too many pens inked....seems like I always have 17 inked.......there for a moment just this year.....was down to seven....on my way to five so I could use up some bottles of ink. With less pens, one can use up more ink. With a lot of pens.....some sit around all month unused.

Don't forget paper....get a good to better paper every three bottles of ink, and you will soon have a very nice selection of papers needed to make the inks dance.

I use to have a selection of Single malts...........well still have a couple but no selection. My liver thanks me for being an inkoholic.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.