Dry-Out Resilient Pens?

whatishappeningplease

Thanks for the replies, all.

The use-case you're describing is probably one of the main selling points that let ballpoint pens take over the market from fountain pens, following closely behind "ink that doesn't drip."

Every choice in life involved trade-offs. I have no problem with regularly capping and uncapping a fountain pen in order to have the benefit of writing with a controlled leak with a thousand different available varieties of ink, that requires neither pressure nor an overly upright grip.

If I may ask, what is it that bothers you about capping and uncapping? Is it the loud snap? Get a pen with a screw cap (e.g., a lot of Fountain Pen Revolution models, Nemosine Singularity). Bear in mind that many FPR pens require as many as four turns to uncap. As for the Singularity, its cap screws onto the section instead of the barrel, so it's possible to unscrew the section when you're trying to remove the cap. eta: there are likely other screw-cap pens in your price range.

Or get a Hero 616. It has a spring inside the cap that silently grabs the clutch ring at the end of the section. This is secure enough that I will clip the pen to the outside of my breast pocket, and pull it out of the cap for intermittent jotting. I've only ever had that go wrong when I forgot to return the pen to the inside of my pocket before moving people from wheelchair to bed/ toilet/ recliner or vice versa.

It's not so much the noise as the 2-hand requirement. If I can just take off the cap and run with it 1-handed, then that works for me, but if I have to keep 2 hands free to cap-uncap, then that's far from desirable. A click open fountain pen would really be ideal, but the $98+ premium over chinese clone fountain pens isn't really reasonable - imo - Although I know some here may have a far higher budget tolerance for pens.

Hi,

While going for a [semi]hooded nib seems a great idea, kindly consider switching ink. Noodler's Bernanke Blue showed exceptional resistance to dry-out when pens were left uncapped.

From my IR @ https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/190889-noodlers-bernanke-blue/?p=1928238

"Nib Dry-out:

• The Estie and the 330 were left lying uncapped for twenty minutes, then started without hesitation; at forty minutes, there was about 2 cm of virga on the down-stroke before ink flow resumed on the paper."

Other Noodler's inks of the Bernanke clan may well show similar properties.

I do apologise if I have caused you disappointment in that cuddling a P51 may be delayed.

Bye,

S1

Is it just that color, or that line of ink? Someone else mentioned noodler would be thicker than the ink I currently use.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whatishappeningplease

• Sandy1

• Oranges and Apples

• friedrichwild

This Pilot Capless runs about $75 after shipping cost.

http://shop.j-subculture.com/items/detail/DDED86B492CD4BD

It's not so much the noise as the 2-hand requirement. If I can just take off the cap and run with it 1-handed, then that works for me, but if I have to keep 2 hands free to cap-uncap, then that's far from desirable. A click open fountain pen would really be ideal, but the $98+ premium over chinese clone fountain pens isn't really reasonable - imo - Although I know some here may have a far higher budget tolerance for pens.

Not sure what your budget is but you cannot acquire a capless for much less than this, unless you buy second hand.

Cheap -

Though 15 mins is rather pushing it, a genuine hero 616 *jumbo* or *doctor* pen is a much better choice than most cheap hooded nib pens when taking lecture notes, for 2 reasons:

1. It doesn't use a cráp deforming plastic inner cap as a snap cap. Those are pretty poor at preventing dry out in cheap pens.

2. The ink sac is large and has capilary channels moulded into it, to encourage ink to flow down to the nib rather than bead at the top of the ink sac.

A bonus reason - the cap posts very well on the back of the pen, and is too light to effect balance while you write. No need to hold the cap in one hand/ balance it on your pad as you take notes.

On the more expensive side -

I've found a vintage Pilot Elite capable of instant start up after 25 minutes uncapped, repeated testing. The Elite uses Pilot carts, which also have capilary channels moulded into them, and the long-short format pretty much requres you to post the pen during use too.

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

SNIIP-itty-SNIP

Is it just that color, or that line of ink? Someone else mentioned noodler would be thicker than the ink I currently use.

Hi,

You're welcome.

AFAIK, there is a Noodler's Bernanke Black and Q'Ternity, both exhibit properties similar to the NBerBl.

Indeed, most other Noodler's inks have a rather high relative high dye-load, so usually I dilute them to ~80% concentration with Dwater - I like rather lean inks.

For the Bernanke series, the mechanism for drying seems to be absorption - not evaporation.

When I did the IR of NBerBl, I was quite concerned that it would dry-out very quickly and be prone to clogging, but my concerns were unfounded! Who knew? You don't know unless you go. :)

Time for samples?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Never never? Because that sounds not believable.

i misunderstood what your question was about. Of course i did not mean that it never dries out no matter how long you leave it uncapped. I meant that it is better than any of my pens on that matter and it never dried out even if i let it some minutes with the cap off.

Anyway. Now that i got your question, i also suggest you a hooded nib (like the hero 616) or a pilot vanishing point but i think that you ask too much from a fountain pen. They all dry out after some minutes without the cap.

Edited by friedrichwild