• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WolvertonMountain

• jj9ball

• amberleadavis

• Ghost Plane

Well, folks, I believe it's time for me to begin participating here on FPN and I can find no better way than to provide some of my thoughts about JJ's custom creations, which I first encountered here in The Mall just after Halloween, last year.

Yep, it's JJ's Halloween pen which really caught my eye. When I look at this pen, I get mesmerized by the detail of the swirls of colors in this pen's body and cap. With that said, I felt there was something wrong with this pen, other than it's just a little too large for me to hold.

One morning a few days ago, I woke up realizing what has bothered me about this pen. This pen's cap has an orange top-puh (You have to be a fan of Rowan Atkinson to understand that pronunciation, LOL.) and the pen's section is also orange. Since Halloween's historical colors are orange and black, I believe this pen needs a black nib coming out of that orange section. Since the cap does not post, the silver-colored clip being different from the nib does not bother me.

Over the months since that Halloween, I have watched the evolution of JJ's custom pens and, especially, his dedication to providing a website for his custom pen creations. And that website, well, let me explain…

A week or so ago, JJ posted a thread in The Mall detailing a new pen he had just finished. I took one look at that pen and decided, "Yep, that's the one!" and promptly placed an order using his website, www.jandjwooddesigns.net. (Wow. Apparently the FPN editor automatically detects a URL just from typing "www.".)

My goodness, this website is a professional operation. Placing the order was easy and making the payment via Paypal, easier yet. It's all a very slick operation but even more notable… JJ packed the pen for shipment late that evening and sent it on it's way early the next morning via a hired driver (his wife, LOL) for delivery direct to the local USPS office. Now that's dedication to one's customers.

Then there's the box in which the pen was shipped… It was WAY larger than I expected. Upon opening the box, I found, in all the bubble wrap, more than just the pen I had expected. There was a box containing a bottle of JJ's exclusive Noodler's Omaha Brown ink, with the pen itself (now MY pen) enclosed in a very nice pen box. Although made in China, this is a top-tier pen box perfectly suited to contain JJ's handmade pens. I was so intent on quickly ordering this pen before someone else beat me to it, I didn't even notice a bottle of ink would be included.

About that Omaha Brown ink... Never in my wildest dreams would I have ordered a brown ink. Since I already had it, I dipped MY pen in this ink and wrote a bunch of lines with it. Then, I filled MY pen with this ink and have been writing with it since. This color is bewitching and makes me feel good just looking at it.

For me, now, is the question I wouldn't have considered prior to purchasing this pen... Do I want to continue to purchase vintage Sheaffer pens, each of which looks exactly like thousands of others of the same model or, will I now begin looking at pen blanks to get a pen which looks nothing like any of the others I now have?

(I know the answer to that question but it'll remain my secret.)

Clifton Clowers (I wonder whom will be first to make the connection.)

Welcome to the board! It sounds like you have a cunning plan to acquire more pens and ink.

If I had enough 'shekels' left in my pocketbook, it would be an instant order. Very unique look. :wub:

Welcome to the board! It sounds like you have a cunning plan to acquire more pens and ink.

Thank you for the welcome, Ghost Plane.

Acquire more pens? Yep. Acquire more ink? Nope, I believe I now have enough to keep my daughter and myself supplied for the next six years my daughter will be in Middle and High School.

What stopped me from buying even more ink: I quit reading the ink reviews here on FPN, LOL.

Clifton Clowers

If I had enough 'shekels' left in my pocketbook, it would be an instant order. Very unique look. :wub:

Save your shekels, Helen. Those pen blanks are available so JJ can make another and I have no claim on exclusivity for this pen, nor do I want to be the only owner of a pen just like the one I chose.

Cliftoon Showers

Thank you for the welcome, Ghost Plane.

Acquire more pens? Yep. Acquire more ink? Nope, I believe I now have enough to keep my daughter and myself supplied for the next six years my daughter will be in Middle and High School.

What stopped me from buying even more ink: I quit reading the ink reviews here on FPN, LOL.

Clifton Clowers

We are a terrible group of enablers, aren't we?

Call me crazy...but I like it! I especially like the metallic looking acrylic.

I'm with you. I like it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, folks, I believe it's time for me to begin participating here on FPN and I can find no better way than to provide some of my thoughts about JJ's custom creations, which I first encountered here in The Mall just after Halloween, last year.

Yep, it's JJ's Halloween pen which really caught my eye. When I look at this pen, I get mesmerized by the detail of the swirls of colors in this pen's body and cap. With that said, I felt there was something wrong with this pen, other than it's just a little too large for me to hold.

One morning a few days ago, I woke up realizing what has bothered me about this pen. This pen's cap has an orange top-puh (You have to be a fan of Rowan Atkinson to understand that pronunciation, LOL.) and the pen's section is also orange. Since Halloween's historical colors are orange and black, I believe this pen needs a black nib coming out of that orange section. Since the cap does not post, the silver-colored clip being different from the nib does not bother me.

Over the months since that Halloween, I have watched the evolution of JJ's custom pens and, especially, his dedication to providing a website for his custom pen creations. And that website, well, let me explain…

A week or so ago, JJ posted a thread in The Mall detailing a new pen he had just finished. I took one look at that pen and decided, "Yep, that's the one!" and promptly placed an order using his website, www.jandjwooddesigns.net. (Wow. Apparently the FPN editor automatically detects a URL just from typing "www.".)

My goodness, this website is a professional operation. Placing the order was easy and making the payment via Paypal, easier yet. It's all a very slick operation but even more notable… JJ packed the pen for shipment late that evening and sent it on it's way early the next morning via a hired driver (his wife, LOL) for delivery direct to the local USPS office. Now that's dedication to one's customers.

Then there's the box in which the pen was shipped… It was WAY larger than I expected. Upon opening the box, I found, in all the bubble wrap, more than just the pen I had expected. There was a box containing a bottle of JJ's exclusive Noodler's Omaha Brown ink, with the pen itself (now MY pen) enclosed in a very nice pen box. Although made in China, this is a top-tier pen box perfectly suited to contain JJ's handmade pens. I was so intent on quickly ordering this pen before someone else beat me to it, I didn't even notice a bottle of ink would be included.

About that Omaha Brown ink... Never in my wildest dreams would I have ordered a brown ink. Since I already had it, I dipped MY pen in this ink and wrote a bunch of lines with it. Then, I filled MY pen with this ink and have been writing with it since. This color is bewitching and makes me feel good just looking at it.

For me, now, is the question I wouldn't have considered prior to purchasing this pen... Do I want to continue to purchase vintage Sheaffer pens, each of which looks exactly like thousands of others of the same model or, will I now begin looking at pen blanks to get a pen which looks nothing like any of the others I now have?

Thank you very much for the review and your willingness to share your experience. I have been away on vacation and coming home to this great review was awesome. I do hope you are enjoying the pen and if you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thank you again for your business.

Jeff.

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

RRPP #13

Yep, I've named this pen, hand-crafted by JJ of jandjwooddesigns ...

RRPP #13, or Retro Recycled Patchwork Pen #13.

And why not #1?, some might ask. While this may well be the first pen for which JJ used this particular blank to make a pen, it certainly isn't the first pen to be made from this blank as there are more than one series available. And why #13? I don't know; I just like that number. (Anyone remember the Becker episode in which one of Becker's patients didn't like Margaret for no reason? I am that way about some pens, heh, heh.)

I hate shiny, black pens. With no other color than a shiny black, they just seem so lifeless to me. Matte black pens, though, intrigue me only if they are Targa 1003's or Prelude 'stealth' pens. I have several Targa 1003's but finding a Prelude 'stealth' to purchase has eluded me thus far. I have made up for that by 'collecting' blue metallic, tortoiseshell, and burgundy marble, each with black trim. The copper with black trim also eludes me, so far.

Although the base of this RRPP #13 is shiny black, it contains greater than fifty different patches of color and not one is duplicated. I tried counting the number of different color patches but my brain couldn't handle counting while looking up and down the pen and rotating it at the same time.

And then there are the different end cap, cap rings, and section colors that make the RRPP #13 such a stunningly different pen from any others I own. JJ has agreed to sell me a black nib so I can personalize it further.

Now if I could just convince JJ to place a black nib on a certain pen he has for sale and send me a photo of it …

About that Omaha Brown ink, Part II...

When I inked RRPP #13 with Omaha Brown ink, I got ink on my fingers. (There must be some unwritten law which makes that happen every time I fill a fountain pen, LOL. After rinsing the ink off my fingers, the brown component washed away, leaving a pale, pinkish-red color.

Fast forward to two weeks later and I have received a copper Prelude (GT, sigh) rgolden graciously placed on eBay for me to purchase as well as a sample of Akkerman #23 Bekakt Haags brown ink from Mike at the Vanness Pen Shop. I dipped the nib of the copper Prelude in this #23 ink and got ink on my fingers. When I rinsed the ink from my fingers, the brown component washed away, leaving a pale, pinkish-red color. Huh? What?

I filled a cartridge with the Bedakt Haags ink, mounted it into the copper Prelude, and wrote a couple of sentences on cheap Office Depot paper. Hey!! Where have I seen that color before?

I capped the copper of this caper, pulled the RRPP #13 from my pen holder, and wrote a couple of sentences, using the Omaha Brown ink, just below those using the Bekakt Haags ink. After the ink dried, I held the paper several inches below a bright, white, LED lamp and

… wait for it …

To my eyes, both of those inks looked exactly the same. EXACTLY!!! I picked up my magnifying glass and examined the writing again. As before, to my eyes, both of those inks looked exactly the same. EXACTLY!!!

If you haven't yet figured it out, RRPP #13 has been my daily writer, all day long, since I received and inked it.

If you have gotten to this sentence, I thank you for your perseverance.

Cliffy Clooney

Edited by WolvertonMountain

... if you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Photo of black nib in orange pen and hold it for 48 hours while I decide, please.

CC

Well, folks,

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

More JJ pens.

Definitely BlackAdde.

Photo of black nib in orange pen and hold it for 48 hours while I decide, please.

CC

Its waiting for you. I apologize for the delay in getting you the picture.

post-114414-0-28664200-1499441636_thumb.jpg

post-114414-0-68223100-1499441693_thumb.jpg

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

I find it awfully attractive, and I absolutely love the name "clown poop".

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"