A New Pen... Looks Like Clown Poop

jj9ball

I really don't even know what else to say about this pen. I spent a good part of my free time last week making it. It is a blank I don't know the name of combined with acrylic highlights in various colors that are supposed to have a metallic look. I even added in a polished aluminum ring for good measure. The whole time I was making it, all I could think was clown poop... I don't know what else to call it. The various size details of the pen are on my website www.jandjwooddesigns.net . I would love to hear opinions, because, if I'm being honest, I tried to do a very over the top disjointed color combination to intentionally make it ugly (its really weird but I have had the best luck selling pens I personally thought were ugly), but the more I got to looking at it the pen is really growing on me.

Also, if you missed my sale over on Ebay it ends in a few hours. I have the best prices you will find on Noodlers ink and pens, Private Reserve, J Herbin, and Diamine. You can find it all here www.jandjwooddesigns.com

Next week I hope to have a custom made pen box for sale in Walnut and walnut burl veneer lined with leather.... stay tuned.

post-114414-0-55289200-1497411554_thumb.jpg

post-114414-0-95137800-1497411564_thumb.jpg

post-114414-0-26150500-1497411574_thumb.jpg

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WolvertonMountain

• jj9ball

• amberleadavis

• Ghost Plane

I think you did a fine job. The pen looks good. The colors are just alittle too young for me.😀😀

I am kinda fascinated by the material........I have tried to imagine it with black parts, next to the vibrant cap & body.

Call me crazy...but I like it! I especially like the metallic looking acrylic.

Edited by mmg122

I like it myself. And I second the "Harlequin" suggestion. Or something else out of the same domain of discourse. Clown poop sounds more like something a not entirely contented worker might think. Or, now that I slow down a little, something that might leap to the mind of someone who has just finished a job and is tired. It was a job well done.

I went to college in the '60's . I saw that color scheme regularly, maaahaaan ! Far out ! :blush:

I suspect "Clown Poop" would sell. (Vini Vidi Extrudo !)

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Honestly, if you had put a neutral color section, end cap and finial on it -- black, say (or at least a uniform color) -- it would have been stellar. Because the body looks like a stained glass window (there's a very modernistic looking church in Stamford, Connecticut where the stained glass windows were designed by, IIRC, Marc Chagall, and the barrel and cap immediately brought that church to mind -- I toured it along with some other houses of worship in Stamford, during my confirmation class, because my minister at the time had previously been at the Methodist Church in Stamford).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I like the finished pen, but then I'm a sucker for bright, shiny colors. Sometimes you just need a break from the standard black torpedo with gold trim. That being said, I probably wouldn't purchase this specific color combination, as its too unrestrained for my work environment.

You know, I was going to congratulate you on accomplishing your goal of making an ugly pen. It's a bit like a train wreck though. It demands that you look at it...& the more you do, the more it appeals. You said as much in the OP, but it's true.

Edited by NinthSphere

I like it myself. And I second the "Harlequin" suggestion. Or something else out of the same domain of discourse. Clown poop sounds more like something a not entirely contented worker might think. Or, now that I slow down a little, something that might leap to the mind of someone who has just finished a job and is tired. It was a job well done.

You might consider 'Harlequin'? Sounds more exclusive and pricier than poop.

Thank you for the feedback you guys make a great point about the "approachableness" of the name clown poop. I couldn't help it. I spent 4 hours staring it while I made it and all I could think of was... well... clown poop.

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

Honestly, if you had put a neutral color section, end cap and finial on it -- black, say (or at least a uniform color) -- it would have been stellar. Because the body looks like a stained glass window (there's a very modernistic looking church in Stamford, Connecticut where the stained glass windows were designed by, IIRC, Marc Chagall, and the barrel and cap immediately brought that church to mind -- I toured it along with some other houses of worship in Stamford, during my confirmation class, because my minister at the time had previously been at the Methodist Church in Stamford).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

I really considered making it classy. I had the black blank out for the highlights and everything. Then I just sorta went nuts trying to make a crazy pen:)

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

I went to college in the '60's . I saw that color scheme regularly, maaahaaan ! Far out ! :blush:

I suspect "Clown Poop" would sell. (Vini Vidi Extrudo !)

It did about 10 minutes ago. Thank you very much to the new owner.

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

You know, I was going to congratulate you on accomplishing your goal of making an ugly pen. It's a bit like a train wreck though. It demands that you look at it...& the more you do, the more it appeals. You said as much in the OP, but it's true.

You are 100% where I was while making it. I found myself saying "man this is ugly, man this is ugly, oh its not that bad, wait I think I kinda like it, boy this pen is awesome, I should really keep it" Thanks for the feedback.

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

I agree with Ghost Plane, it did make me look! You could even make a series with one the way it is then one with each of the fitting colors, all blue for the section the top & bottom, all orange and all green with the same material for the cap and barrel. And yes, it does sort of grow on you the more you look!

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)