Sheaffer Statesman Snorkel - X4 Triumph Ef Nib Review

Honeybadgers

Holy. (bleep).

I got this pen from Nathaniel Cerf over at thepenmarket.com, for $85, restored to like-new condition. Some very minor microscratches, but a clear imprint, no brassing. This is my third pen from Nathaniel, and I argue that this guy sells some of the least expensive vintage pens out there, and his stuff is always unbelievably clearly described and restored wonderfully. Both my Scheaffer craftsman and american pencil co. venus have been fantastically reliable, and the condition of this snorkel is testament to his ability to take apart the most complicated fountain pen ever made.

Complicated, it certainly is. But the snorkel is also the coolest filler mechanism ever devised. I really wish this pen was still made. REALLY. There is no pen that is as satisfying to fill as a good working snorkel. I don't have a lot of experience with the snorkels, but I have heard that as long as you take care of them, they're pretty fantastically reliable, too. First, you unscrew the blind cap like you were compressing the piston in a piston filler. The snorkel slowly slides out from under the nib. As the snorkel reaches max extension past the nib, the blind cap lifts slightly away from the body, and you can then pull the cap all the way out, revealing a sliding plunger that works in a somewhat similar way to a vacuum filler, it compresses the air around the ink sac and when it reaches the bottom, the tiny hole near the blind cap releases the pressure, allowing the sac to draw up an impressive amount of ink. You screw the cap down and the snorkel retracts. The pen is ready to write immediately, no mess, no fuss.

WHY IS THIS NOT EVERYWHERE. A reliable, satisfying, intricate filling mechanism that really shows off the fun aspects of a fountain pen with none of the mess that people often associate with it? Come on, this should be in every premium model Scheaffer makes to this day.

The thing I think is coolest about this pen is its portable syringe. it is designed to perfectly draw the very last drops of ink out of a bottle (or, consequently, a sample vial. This is hands down the best pen ever made for sample vials)

The body is a lovely pastel ocean blue. nothing exciting, with a small unmarked clip, and the shaffer dot above. Cap has a huge band that should provide serious protection from cracking.

Now, for the nib. I honestly was interested in the nib for many reasons. Firstly, it's palladium silver. It's got a luster and shine that no rhodium plating could ever match. The nib has a slight bend upwards, making it essentially what Richard Binder calls a Waverly. This is done so the nib will clear the snorkel, but it really is striking and I find gives the pen a lot of ability to rotate and still write smoothly. From what I understand, all the triumph nibs were double pointed, meaning that they were designed to write a normal line and a finer line when reversed. In my pen's case, it goes from a japanese EF to a EEF. I like fine nibs, but this is insane. It writes nice and wet, particularly for an EF, and it's hands down the smoothest EF I have ever held. There's the barest amount of tactile feedback, as any EF would have, but this pen writes with the lightest touch and lays down a satisfyingly wet, thin line. Reverse writing is equally amazing, it is just as smooth and consistent, with a flawlessly consistent medium ink flow. I don't love nail hard nibs, but this may be the best fountain pen nib I have ever used. And boy is it a nail. Pressure results in more ink, not wider lines. I wrote on some voided checks I test for passthrough onto transfer paper and it performs absolutely perfectly. Wet enough to show some sheen, dry enough to still be usable in fast note taking.

If I had a singular complaint, it's that the clip is a bit too tight to clip onto some clothes. Works fine in my uniform breast pocket, and I see this being my new everyday work pen.

The pen is relatively long, longer than a safari capped, and nearly as long uncapped and posted. posts securely, but not deeply, and I find the pen absolutely perfect unposted. The knurled grip is fantastic and gives you a wide berth in comfortable hand positions. The cap threads are a work of art. They're heavily rounded over to prevent ANY sharp edge. You can hold this on the threads themselves. They also hold the cap super securely. no wiggle when it's capped.

The cap unscrews with a 3/4 turn. absolutely awesome for taking quick notes, this cap comes off lightning fast. Almost as good as the Visconti hooksafe. It easily screws tightly enough that I don't see it coming undone in a pocket.

Overall, this may be the best fountain pen I own. Lamy 2000, my Greg Minusken spencerian eversharp, my visconti HS, pilot CH 91 SF, even my beloved custom 18k jowo Twsbi vac700r. It just works. No fuss. There's something really enjoyable about having something with no quirks. No problems. Its personality is in the fascinating filling system that you look forward to using and the beautiful upswept nib that is able to write with the feel of brushing a feather across the page. My only wish for an everyday pen would be a construction material like the lamy 2k's makrolon, which would make this pen into an absolute tank.

I figured I'd like it, but now that I have it, I have to say - if you don't own a triumph nibbed scheaffer snorkel, start looking. There's no modern pen that is anything remotely similar to the triumph nibbed snorkel.

post-134979-0-27873200-1497391923_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-40629500-1497391931_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-74865700-1497391937_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-50320100-1497391943_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-51975400-1497391957_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-95424700-1497391962_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-87492600-1497391974_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-57016400-1497391981_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-20824100-1497391988_thumb.jpg

post-134979-0-81554700-1497391995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• JonSzanto

• inkstainedruth

• flipper_gv

OK...I'll admit it...I'm jealous.

Congratulations.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

You seem very enthusiastic. Great, it's a good brand, especially the older ones like this.

But perhaps, if you like it so much, you would like to do it the honour of naming it correctly: Sheaffer, instead of Schaffer.

Enjoy your pen.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Several years ago, someone posted the link to, IIRC, a YouTube video which was an old Sheaffer TV ad from 1960. It was a really (by 21st Century standards) a fairly obnoxious and sexist ad: "Buy your husband a PFM for Christmas!" [Apparently, "PFM" stands for "Pen for Men" :angry:]. But it showed the Snorkel fill system and I said "Oh that's so COOL! Want! Must HAAAVE!" Well I don't have any PFMs, but I do now have a number of standard size Snorkels, (some with Triumph nibs, some with standard nibs) in a range of widths from a 14K EF to a Palladium Silver oblique semi-flex stub. I had four different people want to buy that last one at the just-past Triangle Pen Show! [Yes -- it's awesome; no -- it's NOT for sale.... Because it IS so awesome : I just realized fairly recently that it did have some flex to it, and I've owned the pen for roughly a year and a half at this point.... :o]

Why are they not "everywhere"? Because it's probably the most complicated fill system ever designed (as opposed to the capillary fillers on the somewhat contemporary Parker 61s, which might be the simplest :rolleyes:). And you want to definitely have any Snorkel you find in the wild checked out before trying to fill it: if there there are any leaks, you can easily cause the spring to rust and those are supposedly a major league pain in the butt to repair or replace.

So, what ink are you using? I found that my EF-nibbed Snorkel to be very finicky about inks -- it didn't even like vintage Skrip Peacock! :o It did, however do quite well with modern Skrip Purple.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You seem very enthusiastic. Great, it's a good brand, especially the older ones like this.

But perhaps, if you like it so much, you would like to do it the honour of naming it correctly: Sheaffer, instead of Schaffer.

Enjoy your pen.

D.ick

In all my enthusiasm I forgot how to spell. Corrected it now :rolleyes:

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Several years ago, someone posted the link to, IIRC, a YouTube video which was an old Sheaffer TV ad from 1960. It was a really (by 21st Century standards) a fairly obnoxious and sexist ad: "Buy your husband a PFM for Christmas!" [Apparently, "PFM" stands for "Pen for Men" :angry:]. But it showed the Snorkel fill system and I said "Oh that's so COOL! Want! Must HAAAVE!" Well I don't have any PFMs, but I do now have a number of standard size Snorkels, (some with Triumph nibs, some with standard nibs) in a range of widths from a 14K EF to a Palladium Silver oblique semi-flex stub. I had four different people want to buy that last one at the just-past Triangle Pen Show! [Yes -- it's awesome; no -- it's NOT for sale.... Because it IS so awesome : I just realized fairly recently that it did have some flex to it, and I've owned the pen for roughly a year and a half at this point.... :o]

Why are they not "everywhere"? Because it's probably the most complicated fill system ever designed (as opposed to the capillary fillers on the somewhat contemporary Parker 61s, which might be the simplest :rolleyes:). And you want to definitely have any Snorkel you find in the wild checked out before trying to fill it: if there there are any leaks, you can easily cause the spring to rust and those are supposedly a major league pain in the butt to repair or replace.

So, what ink are you using? I found that my EF-nibbed Snorkel to be very finicky about inks -- it didn't even like vintage Skrip Peacock! :o It did, however do quite well with modern Skrip Purple.

I disagree that on the crazy premium pens sold (over $300) the cost involved in simple assembly of a bunch of machine stamped parts is a good enough reason to not do it in terms of profit margin, when it's also such an impressive selling point. We pay through the nose for something as "simple" as real celluloid (looking at the stunning $400 platinum 3776 jade celluloid just released, almost triple the cost for nothing more than a body of fancy flammable plastic). I bet there's still a market for the snorkel. Same argument people made against flex pens. There's a market, as evidenced by the fervor around the ludicrously expensive Aurora 88 flex and outrageous market for vintage flex. People say that the pen makers think we don't want it, but we clearly do. Same argument by the auto industry as to why they can't make a niche market sports car when the miata's been selling gangbusters for almost 30 years.

I have de atramentis indigo blue in it now, but I've been playing with it on a few other colors, and thusfar mine has loved everything I put in it, from medium flowing mont blanc lavender purple to my relatively dry pelikan 4001 absolute brown. The only inks I won't bother trying are my iron galls or shimmering inks, baystate blue, or the bottle of that hateful lamy blue black that's relegated to brush pen duty. Flow has been absolutely perfect on all 3 inks I've put through it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

The thing I think is coolest about this pen is its portable syringe. it is designed to perfectly draw the very last drops of ink out of a bottle (or, consequently, a sample vial. This is hands down the best pen ever made for sample vials)

You've overlooked that the Snorkle is also the best ink cannon (that still writes) ever designed.

A strong example can launch an inky stream over 10 feet, quite precise aim too B)

Thanks but I like XF nibs and want to try a conical one.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• 11 months later...

The pastel blue color of your pen is actually uncatologued. Nice find. I wonder if a Touchdown can also shoot ink.

Actually, it is what I think is called "Aqua Blue". Because the pen in the OP's photos look to very similar in color to my blue Snorkel (the one with the EF nib), which I think is a Statesman. As opposed to the (I gather) fairly rare color Periwinkle -- which I assure you I do NOT have....

As for shooting ink, someone did a diagram several years ago of how the pressurized flow actually works. And I know from flushing my Snorkels out that yeah, there's a pretty swift stream -- for about 2-3 INCHES.

Sorry to disappoint (of course I keep thinking of the scene in the German tank with Denholm Elliot's character using some lever filler in the 3rd Indiana Jones movie.... :rolleyes:). Also, you do realize that this is thread from nearly a year ago, right?

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

/redacted - didn't realize I was necroposting.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Great looking pen! I love vintage Sheaffers but I really dislike the snorkel filling system. It is extremely fragile and overly complicated and the movement requires a smaller sac than what the pen could hold.

All of this only not to dip the pen in the ink. I'm not a fan.

Great looking pen! I love vintage Sheaffers but I really dislike the snorkel filling system. It is extremely fragile and overly complicated and the movement requires a smaller sac than what the pen could hold.

All of this only not to dip the pen in the ink. I'm not a fan.

I actually really find the snorkel fun to use. And I've had no durability issues with this one, I restored another (it was quite easy to restore) with an M nib, and I have a snorkel with a non triumph nib on the way right now. I love the whole process of extending the snorkel, pulling the tail back, etc.

And I RARELY ever empty a pen's sac of ink before I'm bored with the color and want to change, or it's been 1-2 months and is time to clean the pen. Also, the snorkel's sac is still fairly substantial in the statesman, easily the same size as my craftsman, my touchdowns, etc. The XF triumph can write for weeks on a single fill. I never find sac capacity an issue on anything but double broads and flex nibs.

I actually really find the snorkel fun to use. And I've had no durability issues with this one, I restored another (it was quite easy to restore) with an M nib, and I have a snorkel with a non triumph nib on the way right now. I love the whole process of extending the snorkel, pulling the tail back, etc.

And I RARELY ever empty a pen's sac of ink before I'm bored with the color and want to change, or it's been 1-2 months and is time to clean the pen. Also, the snorkel's sac is still fairly substantial in the statesman, easily the same size as my craftsman, my touchdowns, etc. The XF triumph can write for weeks on a single fill. I never find sac capacity an issue on anything but double broads and flex nibs.

Exactly.

+1

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

also, it's still the king of sample vials. No ink bottle, no matter how stupid and badly designed *cough* J. Herbin *cough* is safe.

also, it's still the king of sample vials. No ink bottle, no matter how stupid and badly designed *cough* J. Herbin *cough* is safe.

I can't disagree with that :P

I can't disagree with that :P

And hey, there's nothing wrong with disliking a filling system. I pretty much hate converters, and I know that opinion is kind of weird.

It is kind of a bear to clean, that's for sure.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with disliking a filling system. I pretty much hate converters, and I know that opinion is kind of weird.

There's only one filling system I really can't stand and it's the one that doesn't exist: eye-dropper pens. No moving parts, etc. Hate it. And I have never in my life needed that much ink in one pen. Oooooooh, but sloshy! I'm glad to have only a couple vintage models that I occasionally ink up for a change.

~ Benjamin Franklin

There's only one filling system I really can't stand and it's the one that doesn't exist: eye-dropper pens. No moving parts, etc. Hate it. And I have never in my life needed that much ink in one pen. Oooooooh, but sloshy! I'm glad to have only a couple vintage models that I occasionally ink up for a change.

Only eyedroppers I like are demonstrators that really embrace it like penBBS and the moonman/lecai pens, and I love the japanese eyedropper design with shutoff valve. A noodlers ahab with a dip nib makes sense, and the noodlers boston safety pen actually benefits from bathing the nib in the ink. But apart from that, I agree. My otherwise lovely ranga 8c burps and complains constantly if I don't use it constantly. My noodler's charlies do work great, though. It's definitely tempermental, but a REALLY well designed one like the japanese eyedroppers or the moonman M2 really do kind of showcase the simplicity of the filling system just as cool as a piston filler can.