Zoom Nib

ThrawnsPen

I've seen a video or two of Sailors with Zoom nibs. What is the purpose?

"And this is He whom I call the Child of the Good, whom the Good begat in His own likeness, to be in the visible world, in relation to sight and the things of sight, what the Good is in the intellectual world in relation to mind and the things of mind."
Plato, The Republic, Book Six

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• ThrawnsPen

• lurcho

• dcwaites

The nib writes at different widths as you adjust the vertical angle.

I hated mine, but others like it very much.

SBRE Brown has a video on YouTube.

Thank you!

"And this is He whom I call the Child of the Good, whom the Good begat in His own likeness, to be in the visible world, in relation to sight and the things of sight, what the Good is in the intellectual world in relation to mind and the things of mind."
Plato, The Republic, Book Six

Hi,

As mentioned, for daily use it seems best suited for putting down lines of various width.

I do not have the artistry nor skill to use a Zoom nib to its potential to create astounding writing. I suspect that one would need to have fingers nimble enough to change their grip on-the-fly to achieve such results - better than a magician/pickpocket/violinist.

That said, I reckon this nib is more suited to [oriental] stroke-wise writing and less so for western cursive, so printing might be its home range. (?)

When in the field, I use a Sailor DE with a simple steel Fude nib to put down lines of various widths.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 2 years later...

I have the experience of handcrafted right Zoom nib (Naginata togi / Goccia nib) with 3 + 1 width line from ordinary M tip.

Description with additional photo can look here: https://lenskiy.org/2020/03/ground-to-zoom-nib-naginata-togi-smlr/

Sample on video is here:

https://images.vfl.ru/ii/1585395775/014bbcaf/30027363.jpg

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

I have the experience of handcrafted right Zoom nib (Naginata togi / Goccia nib) with 3 + 1 width line from ordinary M tip.

Description with additional photo can look here: https://lenskiy.org/2020/03/ground-to-zoom-nib-naginata-togi-smlr/

Sample on video is here:

https://images.vfl.ru/ii/1585395775/014bbcaf/30027363.jpg

Very nice, thanks for sharing this.

I personally despise my zoom nib. I can't exactly pinpoint why - maybe just the feeling of the nib on paper. This looks much nicer than the standard zoom though.

Thanks.
The most important thing is to make the middle position (normal) for a convenient everyday size, and the other two variants will remain just like a bonus :)

I like my zoom nib, but I don't tend to actually not use it as such for the most part. And I do find that it writes on the drier side (so I have to be a little careful about what ink to put in it).

I did ask lots of questions before getting mine last year and some people tried to talk me out of getting one because they were like lurcho -- they hated theirs -- but other people liked them, especially for drawing.
I was fortunate in that a friend of mine who is a huge fan of Sailor pens, had one and I was able to try it before buying a Pro-Gear Slim (I also wanted to try one of their so-called "music" nibs but he couldn't find his easily in his house when my husband and I went up to his house). I wanted to get a feel for it because I wasn't sure whether I thought I could get used to changing the angle of pen to paper (when the new Pro-Gear Slim red color came out last year, I went looking to see if any of the Purple Cosmos pens were still available, and ended up finding that I could get a good price on on from Cult Pens -- but because I wasn't sure if I would like the nib, and sending it back to the UK from here would have been sort of a PITA for me, I wanted lots of opinions before taking the plunge -- because it's NOT a cheap pen (I had held off for the longest time because I couldn't justify the higher price over that of a non-LE Pro-Gear Slim).

Not sure what the people in the restaurant, where we all went to dinner, thought of us playing with pens and inks, in between waiting for food.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

conclusion at the end: it doesn’t matter how comfortable the pen is, important only the feeling (pleasure) of writing by the owner of this pen.