The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Help! Ink Spilled On My Hands And Desk.

ink pilot blue ink hands

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 tinta

tinta

Zoë Kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 16:23

Bought a tube of that stuff... doesn't seem to do anything for me :( wasn't cheap.

Conversely,... Amodex is what I reach for when there are ink stains on pens, fabric, furniture & myself.  Sometimes it takes two applications for Amodex to be effective. 

Most of my inks are not particularly saturated anyways (thus not having greater dye load), as I love shading inks.

As others may have said before, the stains on your fingers is a badge of honour among pen folk, but that badge does not extend to fine furniture & the like.....

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques, (machined acrylic/rhodium), 1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Kaweco Dia2 14c M,B,BB (butter-line-stubs) Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.8 stub * Montblanc 254, 14c BB flügelfeder factory stub

Sponsored Content

#22 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• 2,069 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 16:47

What do you then use to remove the smell of the vinegar?  :D

Ammonia. :D

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#23 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 18:38

I previously have used Amodex and it works ok on inky hands...however...I recently purchased Ink Zap from Anderson Pens and it's the best ink remover I've ever found for hands. It comes in a five ounce jar.

For my desk, I just wipe it off with a damp paper towel. My desk finish is sealed. However, if your desk is bare wood the ink will be absorbed and the desk permanently dyed.

Mary

#24 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 19:20

For your hands.
http://www.indy-pen-...com/InkZap.html

#25 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 20:52

Thank you for the link.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#26 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 20:52

Ammonia. :D

- Anthony

:lol:

flying-letter-exc.png

#27 Aquaria

Aquaria

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:00

I've found that the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers really are what they're called.

One of my pens sprang a bad leak, and I got Pilot Namiki Blue all over my hands and even on my legs (I was wearing shorts). As anyone who's used Namiki Blue knows, it's rather water resistant once it dries, and can be a monster to clean off. I was in a hurry and grabbed the nearest sponge at hand in my bathroom. It happened to be a Magic Eraser Bathroom scrub, and it cleaned the ink right off.

I would definitely take a shower afterwards, because the bathroom cleaner element probably isn't something you want to leave on your skin too long, but it took the ink right off.

I don't think that would work on wood, but maybe a wood cleaner on the plain Magic Eraser would do the trick?

#28 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:10

- Asa-gao on hands? Plain soap and water, unless you are at work and need to clean the ink immediately...in which case, it doesn't matter what you order. InkNix was great, and whatever Indy-Pen-Dance sells is likely just as good, but Lava Soap is good enough. With ordinary hand-soap, most inks will be gone by morning.

- Desk? Probably impossible if the desk is wood with any sort of grain exposed.

Special inks, or classic 1955 Quink or Skrip? Will require some scraping on your hands. That's why our parents, in the mid-50s, wanted us to use washable inks. That's why people have always been careful about liquid inks.

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#29 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:45

I've found that the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers really are what they're called.

I don't think that would work on wood, but maybe a wood cleaner on the plain Magic Eraser would do the trick?

It's worth a try, I am often surprised by what a Magic Eraser can remove. Using them on black marks on walls is fudging wizardry. I also found them to be great for removing ink from hands. And IKEA laminate furniture when I was messing around with my half full piston fillers...

#30 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:59

Many of the chemicals mentioned in the comments above will remove too much of the oil in your skin - ammonia, strong bleach, etc., making your skin very dry and somewhat damaging it. If you get bleach on your skin you can remove the odor by rinsing in household white ammonia. Kills the odor (and the slimy feeling) instantly. By the way, the slimy feeling from bleach or strong alkalis is the natural fat/oil in the skin being dissolved by the chemical.

I know graystranger corrected the ammonia/vinegar transposition but the former industrial safety inspector in me is still compelled to state that one should never, ever mix sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach) and ammonium hydroxide (household ammonia).  The resulting reaction releases fumes that can cause permanent lung damage. 

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#31 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,506 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:03

My best luck was with Lava soap and a fingernail brush. Amazingly washing your hair actually gets a lot of ink off your hands.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#32 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:52

Magic trick - Goof Off.

#33 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:59

It's worth a try, I am often surprised by what a Magic Eraser can remove. Using them on black marks on walls is fudging wizardry. I also found them to be great for removing ink from hands. And IKEA laminate furniture when I was messing around with my half full piston fillers...

Be careful with them. They're literally just superfine sandpaper.

#34 graystranger

graystranger

Beware of someone with one pen, they probably know how to use it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:40

I cannot remove this post after entering it, it won't let me remove the post.

Edited by graystranger, 27 October 2017 - 01:46.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, pilot, blue ink, hands

Sponsored Content

|