Caliarts Ego - A New Chinese Piston Filler

taike

My ordered arrived. They sent a clear one instead of the purple I ordered. :huh:

Ouch: contact the seller, hopefully he'll send a replacement gratis... fingers crossed.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seele

• taike

• maximme

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got mine as well. I was hoping for the Ego 1 and ended up receiving the Ego 2. That was... disappointing. But I'm sure the pen will be a fine writer once I get over it. It did come with an extra nib and feed, so that was nice.

Yet another Sarah.

I contacted the seller about the wrong colour Caliarts, sent the photo as he asked and now received a message to say the factory doesn't have purple and that I should open a dispute to ask for a refund. Sigh. Can't be bothered. I'll keep the transparent one and forget about it. It's a nice pen anyway and it will work just fine.

Does anyone else make a piston filler with purple trim?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I just got mine as well. I was hoping for the Ego 1 and ended up receiving the Ego 2. That was... disappointing. But I'm sure the pen will be a fine writer once I get over it. It did come with an extra nib and feed, so that was nice.

Same here. All pictures on eBay showed Ego 1, today I got a completely clear Ego 2 instead. Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 2 versions of Caliarts Piston. Which model is this review about?

What are the difference, of any at all, between the 2 models please?

Edited by minddance

Photos in the opening post are of the first Caliarts Ego.

I don't have this one - I ordered it and got the second version, so called "Caliarts Ego 2". From what I see on the photos the main differences is a very different clip, smaller on the Ego 2, and color of the piston mechanism: black in Ego 1, in Ego 2 a clear one. Ego 1 came only as a clear demonstrator, Ego 2 also has an opaque version in one, bright blue color.

By the way, it seems that Ego 3 was released

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-New-Ego-3-Transparent-Piston-Filler-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-0-5mm/232544829817?hash=item3624c08179:g:vpsAAOSwiHpZ-I0H

Tell me if this clip and nib don't look familiar... Anyone for a piston filling version of Lamy Safari?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by WJM

I don't have this one - I ordered it and got the second version, so called "Caliarts Ego 2". From what I see on the photos the main differences is a very different clip, smaller on the Ego 2, and color of the piston mechanism: black in Ego 1, in Ego 2 a clear one. Ego 1 came only as a clear demonstrator, Ego 2 also has an opaque version in one, bright blue color.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-New-Ego-3-Transparent-Piston-Filler-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-0-5mm/232544829817?hash=item3624c08179:g:vpsAAOSwiHpZ-I0H

Tell me if this clip and nib don't look familiar... Anyone for a piston filling version of Lamy Safari?

I think I'm going to have to get one, just for the blurb --

Pen is a powerful means of mankind for inheritance of civilizations, recordation of thoughts and communication of feelings. Nowadays the pen has exceeded the writing function itself. To possess a pen with integrity of quality and perfect design becomes a symbol of nobility.

I definitely need to do some thought recordation, and perhaps inherit the odd civilization...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

s-l1600.jpg

Hello all, just to chime in.

This is not a Caliart Ego v3. There is no such pen on their Taobao store, and I've just gotten confirmation from the store owner that this is not their product. The latest Ego remains the version 2.

~Epic

Edit for emphasis.

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just received mine yesterday.

It has the smaller, straighter clip and the o-ring to seal the cap. I don't know what version that makes it...

It came with the spare piston o-rings, clear and a spare nib and feed. I had ordered the EF, and the spare was an F.

I was happy with the line size of the EF (I haven't tried the F, yet), but it was a bit of a hard starter as the nib tipping was too smooth and shiny. I ran it over a buffing pad which added micro-scratches to the surface, and now it is perfect.

Yes, it does take 2.1 ml of ink, compared to the Wing Sung 3008's 1 ml.

It feels smoother and sleeker than the WS 3008, but doesn't feel quite as solid. I think the barrel walls are a bit thinner on the Ego.

Granny Aching

Yes, it does take 2.1 ml of ink, compared to the Wing Sung 3008's 1 ml.

the increased ink capacity on the ego, is it a result of bigger bore or longer stroke or both? thanks!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

the increased ink capacity on the ego, is it a result of bigger bore or longer stroke or both? thanks!

Both. I haven't measured them, but it is clearly visible.

Granny Aching

Actually, it's the result of a shorter piston mechanism. They sacrificed piston length to accommodate more ink. As a result, when fully extended, the piston doesn't completely purge the ink chamber, giving an incomplete fill with conventional filling techniques. To get a complete fill aftercycling the piston once, you have to invert the pen, purge the air and then fill it again.

Or, fill it while inverted with something like the visconti traveling inkwell.

ETA: Photo of Caliarts ego 2 and WS 698, both with pistons plunged down as much as possible. Please notice the air gap in the Caliarts, which can not be purged in a single fill.

post-134519-0-25719000-1512092416_thumb.jpg

Edited by NPatil

Useful info Patil Ji. Perhaps same parts but more dead space. So with the tricks you mention, the pen can ultimately inhale a good qty of ink.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 9 months later...

s-l1600.jpg

You may already know this by now, but the pen in the photo is an OEM Wing Sung 3009. Not an Ego by any means.

I've noticed at least one eBay seller who likes to take OEM pens and give them names similar to pens that are already selling well.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small