I'd Like To Try An Omas - Which One?

TheRealMikeDr

Not interested in vintage. What was flagship Omas pen, or at the very least what was the most popular Omas FP?

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealMikeDr

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• Mulrich

Given they're out of business, it's more a matter of what you can find and afford.

The 360 was the largest, but had a triangular grip some found difficult and a relatively small ink capacity.

The Paragon was popular, but changed sizes, so there are large and relatively small/short out there.

The Ogiva is slender but longer in length with the torpedo shape.

I'm not familiar with the Milord size, but I'm sure someone will chime in with measurements and details.

Not interested in vintage. What was flagship Omas pen, or at the very least what was the most popular Omas FP?

Thanks!

Omas' pen line up can be really confusing since the same models changed a lot over the years (and sometimes had different sizes at the same time). I would probably consider the modern Paragon as the flagship of the brand though, specifically the modern paragon with the all metal section. I'm not sure which was the most popular.

The flagship was the Paragon. Milord was probably more popular as it was cheaper and smaller. (The paragon was a large pen in its last, non LE version.)

The arco celluloid was the most popular, but now probably also thr most expensive.

I'll put in a recommendation for a celluloid Bologna. It is a good size, not as popular as some other models but still had a range of materials. The model is a piston filler. (The lower cost acrylic models can also be nice if you like the colors, but that are C/C fillers.)

If you have some characteristics you like in general, I can probably give a better recommendation.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The flagship was the Paragon. Milord was probably more popular as it was cheaper and smaller. (The paragon was a large pen in its last, non LE version.)

The arco celluloid was the most popular, but now probably also thr most expensive.

I'll put in a recommendation for a celluloid Bologna. It is a good size, not as popular as some other models but still had a range of materials. The model is a piston filler. (The lower cost acrylic models can also be nice if you like the colors, but that are C/C fillers.)

If you have some characteristics you like in general, I can probably give a better recommendation.

Thanks!

I pretty much like pens both big and small so I'm really easy to please in that regard.

Regarding a Bologna - this is a C/C - is the price generally fair?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/44547-new-omas-bologna-la-magica-purple-and-white/

You should decide if you like metal sections or not - several modern versions do have metal sections, others don't.

For me there are two OMAS pens that one should have tried:

- 360 for ergonomics

- any model in Arco Brown for looking and enjoying

Writing experience is not better or worse than from any other decent company.

you can get a CC Bologna for about $300-350, even less if in a less fancy color

Greetings,

Michael

Thanks!

I pretty much like pens both big and small so I'm really easy to please in that regard.

Regarding a Bologna - this is a C/C - is the price generally fair?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/44547-new-omas-bologna-la-magica-purple-and-white/

Seems a bit steep, but everyone with an OMAS is out to make a killing these days.

Thanks All!

I think I'm going to wait for the DC Show to see what they have there - likely won't get a bargain but I'll be able to hold them and try them out first.

Trying them out at a show is probably best. I have a couple of late model Milords, which are bigger than the six Paragons I have. Both styles are 12-sided, which I find to be very comfortable and easy to control. My Milords have a 'cotton resin' textured finish which are the most comfortable in my sweaty paws (along with Visconti HS lava). The paragons are the most beautiful celluloids in my collection -- blue, saft green, burlwood, etc. All have 18k same sized nib, so no difference in how they write. All of mine are piston fills, but I think they offered some with cartridge, so you'll want to consider your preference for fill system too.

I have several Ogivas which are great, traditonally shaped pens. Try one with an extra-flessibile nib. OMAS pens are gorgeous, but that nib is the real reason to love OMAS.

Yes, i agree. My favorite (but also most expensive) of the OMAS pens I have is the Ogiva Bronze Arco. In general, OMAS pens were always on the expensive side - more like Montblanc than Parker. But they are worth having.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I envy you the experience of getting to select your first Omas pen!

My first was a NOS, Saft Green, earlier, 1992, Paragon with a medium nib. I was convinced I wouldn't like the medium nib & called Classic Pens to see if they had a broad one to fit it. A nice woman there, suggested I fill & try it before I bought an extra nib. She obviously knew a bit about her Omas pens, because I did & was quite happy with it, despite preferring larger nibs. I chose this one because it was one, I could afford & thought the finish was a bit unusual.

The first, turned into 5, when I bought an Ogivia, (another Green pen, Burkina), but this time since it was pre ordered, with a Stub nib, just before production ceased. I regret none of the purchases & only wish they had remained in business until I could have purchased an Arco. I believe you will love whatever pen you choose.

• 4 weeks later...

Less than two weeks until the DC Show - I'm getting pretty excited about (hopefully) getting an Omas! Among other pens of course!!

Hopefully I can find one I like at a decent rate - I realize there's a "show premium" priced into some pens. Nonetheless if I aim for the $400ish range I presume that will get a nice pen? Doesn't have to be new as long as it's in very good shape.

Cheers!!