The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Anyone Want A Few Spare Wicks For Their Traveling Inkwell? (Making A Bunch)

replacement wick visconti traveling inkwell

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2017 - 23:10

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

I got an inkwell from goulet, and no wick came with it! Annoyed, I emailed Coles, who sent me a wick, no problem, but was told that they don't sell them. It looks like carded felt.

So I found some 1/4 inch carded wool felt and now have way more than I could ever use in my lifetime.

So I figured I'd share. Not making any money on this, just trying to use up my square foot of this felt. At what I'm asking I could afford to buy more stock and keep going if this becomes weirdly popular, since they don't take very long to make, I'll do this for you guys.

To cover my shipping costs of envelopes and stamps, I'm asking $3 for 3 wicks of carded wool felt. They can be rinsed off several times and are highly absorbent of ink, doing a great job of cleaning nib creep (shown is a picture of cleaning the hardest pen to clean in the world - the faber castell loom. Ink gets stuck EVERYWHERE, including the grip on this pen.)

They're about 1.5 inches long and of slightly varying thickness, since I hand cut them. I test them all in my inkwell to make sure they won't be too tight. They won't fall out when inverted, you have to pinch them with your fingernails to pull them out, but thusfar have been plenty happy with mine.

When you put the wick back into the inkwell, I suggest not pushing the wick down, but leaving it at least 1/4 inch above the neck and use the cap to push it down. Not only does that avoid ink on the fingers, but will give you a good grab point to pull the wick out from when you uncap. It's not a tricky thing, just gently set the wick back in any amount at all, and then use the cap to press it in, which it'll do easily and effortlessly, and give you the perfect amount to grip as well.

Ignore all the excessive stray felt fibers in the pictures, I have been playing around with different cuts all morning.

The one used to clean the loom has been used about 6 different times so far. Most pens barely leave a mark on the felt, the loom is a really messy pen to clean (I don't even fill it by dipping anymore, it's such a pain to clean)

Attached Images

• Visconti inkwell 4.jpg
  • Visconti inkwell 1.jpg
  • Visconti inkwell 2.jpg
  • Visconti inkwell 3.jpg

Edited by Honeybadgers, 12 June 2017 - 23:13.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:39

110 views and nobody wants some spare wicks for their inkwell?

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 Sazerac

Sazerac

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:29

This is a nice offer, but I've got a knucklehead question: What are the wicks for? I would guess cleaning the nib after filling? I have a few of the traveling inkpots and none came with wicks, as far as I can recall. Sorry if this seems like a daft question. Your's is a generous offer.

#4 rickygene

rickygene

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:33

Hi HoneyBadgers. That's very resourceful of you and kind of you to offer, but I've never used mine. I just grab a tissue or piece of paper towel whenever I use the inkwell. Postage to Australia would probably be prohibitive anyway.

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:02

Thank you for your kind offer. :)

I must admit I've never used the wick in my Visconti travelling inkwell. I thought it was there for dipping into the ink so that you knew what colour was in the inkwell. I just grab a piece of kitchen towel or tissue to clean my nibs.

One keyword that might have helped in your title is: Visconti.  :)

When I first saw this title in the New Posts list I couldn't understand what travelling inkwells needed wicks. I visualised vintage versions.  :)

#6 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:26

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

I got an inkwell from goulet, and no wick came with it! Annoyed, I emailed Coles, who sent me a wick, no problem, but was told that they don't sell them. It looks like carded felt.

So I found some 1/4 inch carded wool felt and now have way more than I could ever use in my lifetime.

So I figured I'd share. Not making any money on this, just trying to use up my square foot of this felt. At what I'm asking I could afford to buy more stock and keep going if this becomes weirdly popular, since they don't take very long to make, I'll do this for you guys.

To cover my shipping costs of envelopes and stamps, I'm asking $3 for 3 wicks of carded wool felt. They can be rinsed off several times and are highly absorbent of ink, doing a great job of cleaning nib creep (shown is a picture of cleaning the hardest pen to clean in the world - the faber castell loom. Ink gets stuck EVERYWHERE, including the grip on this pen.)

They're about 1.5 inches long and of slightly varying thickness, since I hand cut them. I test them all in my inkwell to make sure they won't be too tight. They won't fall out when inverted, you have to pinch them with your fingernails to pull them out, but thusfar have been plenty happy with mine.

When you put the wick back into the inkwell, I suggest not pushing the wick down, but leaving it at least 1/4 inch above the neck and use the cap to push it down. Not only does that avoid ink on the fingers, but will give you a good grab point to pull the wick out from when you uncap. It's not a tricky thing, just gently set the wick back in any amount at all, and then use the cap to press it in, which it'll do easily and effortlessly, and give you the perfect amount to grip as well.

Ignore all the excessive stray felt fibers in the pictures, I have been playing around with different cuts all morning.

The one used to clean the loom has been used about 6 different times so far. Most pens barely leave a mark on the felt, the loom is a really messy pen to clean (I don't even fill it by dipping anymore, it's such a pain to clean)

Just saw this - I've got a few of these inkwells and love them; I could definitely use the wicks and will trade some ink samples :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: replacement, wick, visconti, traveling inkwell

Sponsored Content

|