Hello From New Orleans!

taxlord

Hello Everyone!

I have been a long time lurker (2-3 years) and just went off the deep end this weekend.

I was always attracted to the Montblanc pens because they are an inspirational item, especially in my line of work (law). I have been mulling over getting one but was not sure where to start and I stumbled on this website.

At first, I thought you all were crazy. Heck, why the would you buy this in the fountain pen version anyways - that's totally not going to be practical for the office environment! It was also absurd you would spend so much on those "demonstrator pens." What was the point? Whatever - I was just here to research about my Montblanc and trying to figure out if I want the 144, 146, or 149 - ballpoint of course.

Needless to say, the more I read FPN, the more I started to drift form the idea of getting the Montblanc. I began to appreciate fountain pens. But surly, I could not use these in the office. It's a fun novelty, but I don't want to look like a total nerd. As a young professional, you do not want to draw too much unwanted attention to you in my career. At that point, I decided that I'll buy one but wont use to at work often. Maybe I'll keep it on my office desk and use it here and there. It'll be my little secret.

Over the weekend, I went into a fountain pen store in Houston (Dromgoole's in the Village).The place was packed! I was a deer in headlights. People on FPN have commented at the vast selection of the store. There were about 20 people in the shop trying out different pens and 3-5 sales rep helping them. I wondered around aimlessly, not really sure what I was looking at but taking in various pens they had on display.

The sales staff approached me a few times to ask what I was looking for, but of course I didn't know. I believe I ran into the owner and he asked my price point, $100-150 I said. He took out a Montblanc 146 or 149 (i think) out of his front pocket and had me write with it (to gauge the size of my hand writing). It was love at first scribble. It was the first time I had really used a fountain pen. It just moved so effortlessly over the paper. The owner deduced that I need a medium nib because my handwriting was on the bigger side. I then tried some pens, a Visconti and Faber Castell, which were in my price point. They both wrote very well but did not really do anything for me like the Montblanc did. I think they could have sold me on the Visconti but they were occupied with customers who were looking at more expensive pens and I really didn't know what I was doing with the pen. I left the store unconvinced that a fountain pen was for me.

That same afternoon, I stumbled across a Pilot Plumix and another no-name FP at an art supply store. I immediately bought these. They were obviously not smooth as the Visconti and Faber Castell but I loved them. I played around with them all afternoon and became convinced that I wanted a nice fountain pen.

Enter FPN, Brian Goulet, and various other YouTubers. I got home and researched various fountain pens to death. Then I research fountain nibs to death. Then I research inks to death. I arrived at a few conclusion:

(1) Lamy 2000 will be my first serious fountain pen. As a noted, there is a valid concern that I don't want to bring a very fancy writing instrument to a conservative work environment. The Lamy 2000 fits all of my requirements. Its understated (won't draw too much attention), a workhorse pen, and arguably one of the better pens at my price point. My pen arrived in few days!

(2) INKS! I had no idea there were so many different types of inks out there. Finding a "signature" ink will be a worthy pursuit.

(3) In due time, I am going to go back to Dromgoole's, find out what MB pen that was and buy it. Regardless of whether you think the MB is worth MSRP, it is nonetheless a solid pen and iconic.

(3) I'm screwed.

If you happen to read all of this - Thanks! I just wanted to share my joy and excitement over the past few days with people who may have gone through something similar.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taxlord

• ParkerDuofold

• Carrau

• Henricum_Tropen

Hello taxlord, :W2FPN:

Welcome to the FPN Family. :)

I'm the black sheep that they don't want to admit to. But deep down, we all love one another.

I have to say I take a little umbrage about your assumptions that we're crazy here. We work very hard to prove our insanity everyday... and it hurts our feelings when someone comes along and only assumes we're nuts and doesn't wholeheartedly believe it.

Yes, I agree; you definitely want to remain low-key as young executive... especially if you have anything to do with handling the company's money. Seriously, though, that's a smart approach.

I am a great lover and supporter of the L2K; so I'm sure we'll get along fine. They are fantastic "lifetime" pens... mine is my edc. :)

Inks... inks... inks... yes; I suggest samples- it'll keep you out of bankruptcy court. Just so you know, I did manage to get thru your entire post... I hope you managed the same. :D

In sum, yes; we're all screwed, so you'll fit right in. Come on in and grab a chair and make yourself to home... but try not to spill any ink on the floor; we just had it resurfaced.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Parker,

Thank you for the warm welcome. And yes, I did read your entire post. :)

Hope you don't take too much offense to my initial impression of everyone here being crazy, after all I am not part of the collective!

Parker,

Thank you for the warm welcome. And yes, I did read your entire post. :)

Hope you don't take too much offense to my initial impression of everyone here being crazy, after all I am not part of the collective!

Hi Taxlord,

You're welcome and thank you. :)

That's okay; it's a common misconception. I was just a little disappointed that you only thought we were crazy; when we try so hard to prove it everyday. :D

Glad you decided to join us... before you know what hit you... you WILL BE a part of the collective here as well... and be just as warped as me. :lol:

Welcome... and be well. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Hi Jar! As one Texan to another, thank you for the warm welcome! I actually grew up in South East Texas :) Where are you?

Hello Taxlord and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town (South Africa).

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Hello and welcome to the Fountain Pen Network. Glad you have joined us. You, having joined us, make us better. This is now your place as much as it is ours. Please don't be shy. Ask all the questions you have and don't hesitate to state your opinions. I hope you enjoy your time here.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. By the way, you have a store called Papier Plume on Royal St in NOLA, that many here seemed to enjoy visiting they make their own inks and, by all accounts I've seen here, appear to provide excellent service.

Mike

Edited by Herrjaeger

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone!

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. By the way, you have a store called Papier Plume on Royal St in NOLA, that many here seemed to enjoy visiting they make their own inks and, by all accounts I've seen here, appear to provide excellent service.
Mike

Herrjaeger,

I have heard about this shop. It is not too far from my office, I might pay them a visit in the upcoming week during lunch. I will surly let you guys know how it is.

At first, I thought you all were crazy.

(3) I'm screwed.

Welcome !

I think your first impression was correct. Crazy is the majority, here.

I agree that the "big" Montblanc can appear pretentious. Here's hoping that you make partner, soon, and can enjoy your Montblanc openly. ("Openly FP". Can we qualify as a protected minority?) I have had good service from the LAMY 2000.

As for "(3)", is that in one of the "good" ways ? :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Sasha,

Perhaps as a "protected minority", FPN has enough members to lobby for special washrooms with ink flush, bulb syringes, and Diamine/Noodler's vending machines with ink samples-we need to ask Brian Goulet to look into expanding into being the supplier.

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Greetings and a warm welcome !

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Kiss your bank account goodbye!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

http://i.imgur.com/tZRy2tW.jpg

Hi Taxlord,

Beautiful combination all around... and I've seen much worse handwriting... so you're already ahead of the game. :vbg:

- Anthony