How Long Will Lamy Safari Italic Nib Last?

LorDAsBaat

Hello fellow fp users,

I'm a person who currently owns a William Mitchell Calligraphy Pen(s). I've developed a love for calligraphy in everyday writing. The whole university gets mesmerized by my writing thanks to this forum through which I developed the know-how of fps and italic nibs. BUT the problem starts here. The William Mitchell pens last only 1-2 weeks after which the line variation is barely noticeable and I have to re-grind it. The second problem is that every time I regrind it, the nib becomes shorter and now I think my 0.9mm nib is like 1.8mm :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: .

So, kept researching on this forum and it seems that there are plenty of Lamy Safari users out here and seem pretty happy! So, I'm soon going to order a Lamy Safari 1.1mm Calligraphy pen. I dont have it in my country and will get it imported. It will cost me $80 approximately. So, is it worth the money? I don't want to spend $80 and after 2 weeks find that the line variation is barely noticeable at all. I want the pen to last approximately 1 year.

Now many of you might say that the life of the nib depends on the way you use it. Well let me tell you. The only weight on my pen is the hand that is holding it. I hold the pen like a feather and press it like its a barrel which will ooze out its disgusting juice. In other words, I DONT press the pen and I DONT put any weight on the pen. I DONT write with fingers, I use the shoulder movement technique as the paraphernalia site told.

So kindly, Safari users, tell me how long the nib will last. I'm a future economist so I weight the opportunity costs profusely.

Thanks!

Edited by LorDAsBaat

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LorDAsBaat

• tamiya

• pen2paper

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I just saw TWSBI 580 1.1 stub and GOD it writes so smoothly with a good line variation. Only if I was born in a developed country :( :( :(

Edited by LorDAsBaat

I am not a calligrapher so cannot advise regarding this use, but in everyday use I see no wear at all.

That said, the line may not be as crisp and fine edged as you would prefer, and it has no flex whatsoever.

The 1.1 is my favorite Lamy nib, even for daily use.

Perhaps a store that will install the 1.1 nib on a Safari, rather than the Calligraphy Joy version? (possibly the Wrtiing Desk in the UK).

Edited by pen2paper

If you're worried about the nib wearing out, just order an extra nib or two as they're easily replaced and very reasonably priced.

https://www.gouletpens.com/replacement-nibs/c/294/?sortBy=productName+asc&facetValueFilter=Tenant~Brand%3Alamy

Edited by Tasmith

If you're worried about the nib wearing out, just order an extra nib or two as they're easily replaced and very reasonably priced.

https://www.gouletpens.com/replacement-nibs/c/294/?sortBy=productName+asc&facetValueFilter=Tenant~Brand%3Alamy

"Reasonably priced" that term doesn't apply to my country. Can you just tell me how long the nib will last after everyday use?

I would say it should last you a few years.

The 1.1nib on my Lamy joy does not show any wear from several months of mild use.

The good thing about the Lamy system is, you can get replacement nibs, so you don't have to replace the entire pen if/when the nib wears, or you want to use a different size nib. Just swap the nib.

Get a couple extra nibs, just in case.

The smallest Lamy italic nib is 1.1mm, so a bit wider than your 0.9mm nib. And I get enough line variation to satisfy me.

Nib wear is affected by a few variables:

• nib material and shape
    • Having not seen a Mitchell nib, I don't know what it is made of. It might be a softer steel than the Lamy nib, thus wears faster.
    • Like a knife, the sharper/thinner you make the writing edge, the faster it will wear.
      I get the feeling from your post, that you are grinding your nib to a sharp edge.
    • You may benefit from a wider nib that you do not have to grind the edge so thin to get that line variation.
  • paper
    Some papers are more abrasive than others. This is sometimes due to the coating that is put on the paper to make it feel smooth. Some papers have a "clay" based coating, and what is clay . . . an abrasive.
  • ink
    You need enough ink to lube the nib as it goes over the paper. Not enough ink, and the tip has more friction and wear.
  • you the writer
    You write with a light hand, so that is minimized as a variable.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Lamy Safari fitted with 1.1 steel italic used for everyday service for years with no noticeable wear at all. Stock 1.1, no alterations.

Cost to purchase the Lamy Joy, including All Three nib Units 1.1, 1.5. 1.9, which comes in a larger heavier box and will cost more to ship.

So a less costly option may be to buy Lamy Safari fitted with your choice of steel italic nib above, and spare nibs (nib only, requires you slide off feed using tape method, and slide on another nib in other width size). Comes in lightweight small box, so less postage.

There may be pen shops in nearby countries, or well-known pen community businesses, for example The Writing Desk in the UK who ship to most countries in your region. Mentioning specifically this business since they will fit an italic steel nib in Safari at no extra cost.

Here is an older video review of Lamy Joy steel italic nib to observe it in actual use. Except for the longer body, extra nib units, and heavier box, Joy is exactly the same pen, same steel italic as Safari.

Do observe there is italic line variation, but No Flex in these steel italic nibs.

Video on changing Lamy nib:

Thanks to S B & B G for video tutorials.

Edited by pen2paper

The Mitchell nibs you used are made of mild steel (I think), and are disposable by design, and always were. They are made to wear out, like woodcase pencils, or rather they are not made to last. And made to be sharpened to a limited extent, like you did with yours.

But the Lamy 'italic' nib is made of stainless steel and has an iridium tip like all normal fountain pens. This tipping is not really made of the element iridium, but it is composed of, probably, a mixture of metals that arrived on Earth in meteorites, and is harder than a Welshman, if such a thing is possible.

It will last decades, concrete, children, and oafs notwithstanding.

I just noticed that you'd have to shell out $80 for the Lamy. That's a hell of a lot of money for that pen, good as it is.

If you would like to save some cash, I will gladly buy one for you here (in Britain) for $20 (I think they're about £16, but it varies), send it to you, and you can send me the money later.

Alternatively, may I suggest that you buy a Jinhao 750 or 159 on Ebay, then buy a stub or italic nib from the Spanish company I buy mine from? I put pens together for about £13 ($17), and they are great.

I agree with everyone else about its longevity, and I don't even have one! That's because I'm familiar with other stainless steel nibs such as Sheaffer No-Nonsense, which have often been used... for forty years or so! No-Nonsense are not the crispest to start with, but I'm a very heavy Manuscript user (their stainless steel and chrome nibs, not the gold-plated which I don't like and I suspect are nowhere near as robust), and they are sharp, robust, and dirt cheap!

Also, I don't know where Lurcho gets his Spanish nibs from, but there are plenty of other options like that for getting hold of a long-lived italic set-up. And finally, $80 is ludicrous! For example, Cult Pens (UK - I have no affiliation - I was just looking at them there yesterday) do Safaris for £15 + £10 international shipping = £25, or about $32.

Edited by MercianScribe

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

As you see, there are options and those who will do their best to aid to a successful conclusion, if Lamy italic is your choice.

I've yet tohave any in use Lamy nib fail, and using them since the original red/black trim arrived on the scene.

Since you knw your region, it will be up toyou to make iqnuires of availablity, postage, and duty if necessary, thought the low cost mayavoid that.

sorry the page is typing odd, and erasing as I type. forgive odd errors. time sitting is difficult now to edit properly

Edited by pen2paper

"Reasonably priced" that term doesn't apply to my country. Can you just tell me how long the nib will last after everyday use?

care to first advise us how MUCH you write?

Btw are you wearing out a fountain pen or a dip pen?

http://www.williammitchellcalligraphy.co.uk/pen-nibs

^^ these look like dip pen nibs

Dip pen nibs are stamped from mild steel, buy them in multiples and change/dispose like a xacto blade... which is pretty often. They don't expect dip nibs to last for tomes.

Whereas Lamy fountain pen nibs... my expectation is if I write 3pgs/day (1 ink fill/week), it should last me 10yrs! Or 10pgs/day, I'm expecting 3yrs service... that's just my view.

I just noticed that you'd have to shell out $80 for the Lamy. That's a hell of a lot of money for that pen, good as it is.

If you would like to save some cash, I will gladly buy one for you here (in Britain) for $20 (I think they're about £16, but it varies), send it to you, and you can send me the money later.

Alternatively, may I suggest that you buy a Jinhao 750 or 159 on Ebay, then buy a stub or italic nib from the Spanish company I buy mine from? I put pens together for about £13 ($17), and they are great.

theres like 35% custom duty on fountain pens. :D

theres like 35% custom duty on fountain pens. :D

Still cheaper to buy from the UK (or elsewhere in Europe), though. MercianScribe (above) says $32 will cover cost plus shipping. And 35% duty on top makes a total of $43. That's still a lot, but it's half of your first figure.

What's wrong with Dollar 717 Qalam? It is a stub nib, oblique, but you can lightly grind it to be a stub

What's wrong with Dollar 717 Qalam? It is a stub nib, oblique, but you can lightly grind it to be a stub

yeah, that pen became a round pen after like 30 pages of writing. It costs 50 Rupees which is equal to like 45 cents LMAO

Are you writing on sandpaper??! :P

I've been abusing 1 of those 717i for over 6mths practising my jawi scrawls (heehee) ... it's still like new afaik... still got rest of the boxful to compare with.

I squiggle on reasonably smooth paper.

Hi, Do you know that the LAMY 1.1mm stub will fit onto any LAMY Safari? (Or LAMY Nexx.)

If you can buy a Safari in your country, and order the 1.1mm nib online, it might be the cheaper option.

post-70376-0-23058600-1497526477.jpg

Edited by Mike 59

Lamy stainless steel italic nibs don't have tipping...iridium or otherwise.

Edited by mmg122