Sheaffer Pfm Photo Thread C. 1959-1963

mitto

One day I am going to buy one of these PFMs, in honor of my birth year. But not yet. Still one kid in college.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• mitto

• noj321

• gregamckinney

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's my one and only. My dad gave it to me, it used to be his. I imagine he got in new. No idea which one, I'd guess a PFM II but the cap is a bit shiny. It has had a few knocks.

35390400996_c00405d44a_c.jpg

35429892195_1e3ded0844_c.jpg

Here's my one and only. My dad gave it to me, it used to be his. I imagine he got in new. No idea which one, I'd guess a PFM II but the cap is a bit shiny. It has had a few knocks.

Yours is a PFM II. Very nice to have your dad's pen!

This is my modest black PFM I stub (formerly the pen of Frank McClain)

post-82790-0-18561400-1498094435_thumb.jpg

I have a PFM III in blue that has a flex nib - just inked it a couple of days ago and didn't know until I noticed the nib moving a bit - actually moves quite a bit. While I have a few Sheaffer's I've only owned three PFMs the last couple of years. Very nice pens though I might prefer an Imperial IV as I like smaller pens a bit more. I've used a Targa classic since the early 80's and that is relatively small. Still, a fun repair job either size snorkel.

Roger W.

god I'd love one of these so much... if only they weren't $500 minimum.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hi, Folks,

This is a detail shot of the two types of PFM V caps.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferPFMV_1280_02a.jpg
The cap shells and clip appear to be the same on both versions, with the difference being in the engraved lines design. Each cap has four long and four shorter sets of parallel engraved lines. The shorter sets align with the clip. Based on the illustration in the 1962 Sheaffer repair manual, page B59, dated 10/1/59, the design of the right hand cap, showing the longer sets of engraved lines being even at the top is the earlier, 1959 version of the cap. This version has the shorter sets of engraved lines much shorter than on the later cap and starting about 1/8 inch higher from the cap lip than the long line sets. The second version, shown on the left has the middle pair of engraved lines extending out from the longer set to even with the White Dot on the clip. These lines are visible looking at the front face of the cap. Some versions of the second cap design are not marked with the Sheaffer logo and where the pen was made on the cap lip. I have one of those caps.
Thanks!

Hi, Folks,

This is the base of the PFM, Pen For Men, line, the PFM I in burgundy.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferPFMI_1280_01.jpg
The PFM I has a solid color plastic cap and barrel, polished stainless steel clip and cap band, and palladium silver nib. The PFM I is the only model without the White Dot. These pens sold for $10 and the matching pencil for $4.95.
Thanks!

My parents bought me one of these in 1962, when I was in the seventh grade. They considered it quite foolish to buy such an expensive pen for a boy my age. They were right, of course--I ended up losing it. It was the only pen of value (either monetary or sentimental) that I ever lost.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 months later...

Hello Folks!

I'm a big PFM fan and have been collecting for about 15 years, buying, servicing, selling in an attempt to build my collection to the best it can be without spending too much money. I think I've done pretty well and now have a full 'set' of five models in all five colours with the exception of a IV cap that I still have to find. They are all in good to NOS (though I have used some of the NOS pens I've purchased as I believe things should be used, not just looked at!). They are a combination of USA, Canada & Australian models with various nibs, but with a strong leaning to broad and italics. I also have matching pencils to most of the collection, missing 3 Is and 3 IIs.

I also have an Autograph pen & pencil set as well as a full demonstrator.

However the pinnacle of my collection (for which I did pay proper money!) is my masterpiece in flat gold.

...and yes, I use this one too, though just for special occasions. The demonstrator is the only one I don't use as cleaning the feed fully after every use is just a bit too much hard work.

Great to see all these lovely pens - sorry I've come to the post a little late!

post-4976-0-99077500-1415289334.jpg

post-4976-0-21222400-1503910126_thumb.jpgpost-4976-0-93167300-1503910050_thumb.jpgpost-4976-0-29839000-1503910162_thumb.jpg

The PFM Masterpiece is a reality! I know because I own one!

My understanding is that 100 were commissioned (but it might be that not all we actually made). The solid 9k gold overlay was the work of a Birmingham UK gold and silversmith called S J Rose (gone now, sadly). I know of a barley-corn pattern also here in the UK, and my understanding is that this was the more 'common'! Mine is flat gold and I don't know of another.

I'm sure there must be more somewhere?

Not a masterpiece, but a little while ago a prototype VI (Gold filled cap AND body) came up for sale on ebay. I dropped out at $2500!

I'm still on the lookout for another!

Here's a link to my pen on the sheaffertarga.com

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/PFM/PFM%209ct%20Masterpiece.html

From Richard Binders excellent site: Mystery Piece: the Masterpiece

The PFM Masterpiece is listed in Fountain Pens and Pencils, The Golden age of Writing Instruments, by George Fischler and Stuart Schneider, but it does not appear in any Sheaffer catalog. Although many collectors have expressed reservations about its existence, there is now no doubt that the PFM Masterpiece was (and is) real.[2]

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref/profiles/pfm/pfm_masterpiece.jpg http://www.richardspens.com/images/icons/sm/zoom.png

The PFM Masterpiece was a special edition of 100 solid 9K gold pens made on commission for Sheaffer’s U.K. division by S. J. Rose & Sons, a manufacturing jeweler located in Birmingham, England. It appears that most of these pens had a Barleycorn finish as illustrated here, but at least one was made with a smooth body and cap. (I have seen photographs of this pen, which bears all the correct hallmarks.) Because all 100 pens were pre-sold, they were not imprinted with Sheaffer’s usual body and cap markings.

post-4976-0-86649600-1503912628_thumb.jpg

The pictures could be better.

I's

II's

III's

IV's

V's

So nice the 5 models in ail colors and a pencil to boot. Great hunting.......I am just working on one of each model and that has taken some time. Headed to the Dallas Pen Show this weekend maybe I can find the last two that I am looking for. LOL

Edited by JohnEbach

I hope that someone here can confirm from these (very bad) ad photos that this pen I have seen advertised in Thailand is a PFM V?

I believe they were all snorkel fillers (there is no pic of the underside of the nib in the ad), is that correct?

What years were they produced, is this one likely to be from around 1962 or could it be later?

From the photos it seems to be showing a little cosmetic wear and tear, it is advertised at the equivalent of about $100, any views on whether that is a good deal, assuming it is fully functional?

The ballpen, which I'm not really that interested in, is priced at $30.

The seller's offering both for around $120 but is a few hours away from me, so with the risk of losing $100-120 would anyone here risk buying sight unseen at those prices? I'm tempted.

Expert opinions needed here!

post-138527-0-24386200-1504595018.jpg

post-138527-0-59325900-1504595027.jpg

post-138527-0-82289100-1504595042.jpg

Edited by BillNick

To me this looks to be an Imperial Triumph Touchdown and not a PFM. The line pattern on the cap is not that of a PFM. Also, it lacks the relatively wider cap band. Moreover, the pen is slimmer than the PFM. Other may have more experience to identify the pen.

Khan M. Ilyas

I hope that someone here can confirm from these (very bad) ad photos that this pen I have seen advertised in Thailand is a PFM V?

I believe they were all snorkel fillers (there is no pic of the underside of the nib in the ad), is that correct?

What years were they produced, is this one likely to be from around 1962 or could it be later?

From the photos it seems to be showing a little cosmetic wear and tear, it is advertised at the equivalent of about $100, any views on whether that is a good deal, assuming it is fully functional?

The ballpen, which I'm not really that interested in, is priced at $30.

The seller's offering both for around $120 but is a few hours away from me, so with the risk of losing $100-120 would anyone here risk buying sight unseen at those prices? I'm tempted.

Expert opinions needed here!

The easiest way to tell is to get a shot of the feed. If there is no Snorkel hole, it's not a PFM.