The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Parker Duofold International Medallion/engraving Question

parker duofold medallion cap

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gump

Gump

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:33

Hello all,

I recently acquired a wonderful Parker Duofold International with a personalized cap as shown below.  This was disclosed in the listing, so I new this was something I would have to address.  In reading previous posts, mostly dealing with lost medallions, I understand that the top portion of the cap is not easily removable.  Does anyone have more recent experience with replacing such a part, or with obtaining a medallion to adhere over it?

There are a few listings on ebay, but all are military or college branded.  I'm hoping to find some alternatives, or a source to replace the part.  Thank you in advance.

Gump

Photo Link:

http://imgur.com/a/pE8QH

Apologies for not embedding, I was unable to attached the file nor embed using the traditional [img] tags.

Sponsored Content

#2 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:28

To lead you in a different direction, the marking is not dissimilar to the personalisation on a barrel and can be removed by a number of expert techniques, assuming you would be happy with a smooth black finial.

The marking doesnt look too deep in your image, would that be correct?

Edited by Beechwood, 12 June 2017 - 08:29.

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 22:55

The top of the cap where the engraving is located is a thin insert glued in place.  There are a few sizes along with the black plastic, you can find more ornate metal ones.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,203 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 13:58

Note Todd's reply.  He is right about the medallion.  Rich Lott has a bunch of the original Parker Medallions.  The inner cap can be removed using heat to soften the white glue Parker used.  Best left to someone with experience though.  Replacement requires paying attention to how the clip lines up with the notch in the barrel, and how the  the trim ring is aligned over the clip and clip washer.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, duofold, medallion, cap

Sponsored Content

|