The Horror!

chromantic

When I got to work last night, I reached up to grab one of my FPs only to discover that I'd forgotten to pick up the ones I'd picked out for the night and put them in my pocket. What an awful, sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, like suddenly realizing I'd forgotten to get dressed and was standing there naked. And then ... and then ... I was forced to use a ballpoint all night. Oh, the horror!

Well, the first thing I did when I got home was to put a Pilot Varsity (blue) in my carry all so I never have to go through that again.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• Misfit

• ENewton

• ParkerDuofold

Did you fear you'd lost them?

Sometimes I see something and think it's a fountain pen but is a Sharpie instead. Glad you thought of a Pilot Varsity to have for EDC. I have a Zebra V-301 for that purpose.

Posted Image

When I got to work last night, I reached up to grab one of my FPs only to discover that I'd forgotten to pick up the ones I'd picked out for the night and put them in my pocket. What an awful, sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, like suddenly realizing I'd forgotten to get dressed and was standing there naked. And then ... and then ... I was forced to use a ballpoint all night. Oh, the horror!

Well, the first thing I did when I got home was to put a Pilot Varsity (blue) in my carry all so I never have to go through that again.

Hi Chromantic,

That was horrific... after I read it, I had to lay down for a couple of hours with a cold towel on my head. :lol:

But I'm glad to hear you're preparing better for the future.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Did you fear you'd lost them?

No, I knew instantly I'd just forgotten to pick them up. Besides, lose one, maybe, but 2 FPs and a rollerball? Although, one day I'd stopped at the grocery store after work and as I got in the car I realized one of the FPs wasn't in my pocket. In a panic, I went in and searched the check out area, then drove back to work; as I got out of the car, I thought I'd check the back seat where I'd but the grocery bags. Sure enough, as I'd lifted one of the bags out of the cart, it snagged on the clip of the pen and pulled it out of the pocket and there it was, hanging on the bag.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I acquired my Kaweco Sport under similar circumstances. I left for work one day and realized I had forgotten to put a fountain pen in my bag. For the first two hours of that day, I tried to write with a ballpoint pen, but I've written with fountain pens for so long that having to apply pressure while writing gave me hand cramps. Fortunately, there was a brick and mortar art-supply store nearby, so I a took a break and went out to buy the least expensive fountain pen on offer.

Now I keep a Dollar pen and some ink samples in my desk at work, just in case I forget to bring a pen with me.

From the way your post started I was afraid you had said you had LOST the pens.... :o

Of course then I misread it and thought that you had tried to put the pens in your shirt pocket when you weren't wearing clothes.... :rolleyes: Probably because when I got home from the Triangle Pen Show last weekend I discovered that the sample of Robert Oster Blue Water Ice had leaked and I had ink all over my fingers -- and (don't ask how because I have no idea) a "Blue Water Ice" colored smudge the size of a silver dollar on my check.... :wacko:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Lol. I know the feeling. For some time I had kept my pocket pen with other items destined for my jacket pocket, but decided that the pen case on my desk was a safer storage location. Inevitably, I'd walk out of the house without visiting my desk to grab a pen and would have to fall back to a junky ballpoint kept in my bag for emergencies. I remember more often now that the routine has changed, but it was certainly annoying!

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I, being an itinerant, have no desk at work. So I carry mine with me. Inside my travel desk are close to a dozen FPs, one ball point and one mechanical pencil. A secondary bag, differing with the day of the week, is repacked each night. Thus, I am never without a FP. That dies not mean that I have never left home without the pen/s I wished to use that day nor that my favored pen is never without ink. But even in such cases, others are standing by awaiting the call.

I can relate to that. The first time I forgot my fountain pens, I went to the Newsagency near my office and bought a couple of Varsities for the office.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep a couple of Pilot Varsitys (Varsities?) at my desk. Nobody has actually stolen one and I don't care if they do honestly, but it's my back up if I run out of the house.

I've had the same issue with ballpoints now. Signing my name on a receipt is fine, but if I'm taking my voicemail notes down, a couple pages of writing and it doesn't feel good.

Small horror. True horror is putting a loaded Parker 45 in the back pocket of the Levi's, and discovering that it has been crushed and leaking. Then, examine girlfriend's Periani Equestrian Saddle, that one has just used ------- :wallbash: That was 48 years ago. We have been friends all these years. She hasn't forgiven me.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !