Good Introduction To Japanese Pens?

KellyMcJ

Glad that you're happy with your choice. Considering that it is cheaper than the Pilot Prera, I like that it has the weight to it such that you needn't worry about it being dropped or such (at least while capped).

Some complain that about the small capacity of the converter, but at least you get it without a separate purchase. A Pilot cartridge could always be refilled with a syringe, too. And a $50 budget leaves you with enough for another Metropolitan or some ink, paper, the twist converter or whatever.

I don't mind the small capacity since it's so easy to fill. I found it fits in the front pocket of my jean shorts (my Kaweco's usual spot) too. Not sure if this will work with other pants too, I was surprised that it worked here. It would be really cool if it does though! Could see this being an EDC if that's the case.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• AndrewPracticing

• Algester

• Miaxina

If you want to buy fountain pens/ink/etc. directly from Japan, there are proxy services like White Rabbit Express that will help you with all the ordering and shipping (especially useful if you don't read/write Japanese) http://bit.ly/wrejapan

Thanks!!!! I've been looking at some on eBay, I think it's cheaper often times to buy directly from Japan (not everything is available on the 'bay though.)

I'm thinking of venturing into Japanese fountain pens too! You might also consider Pilot Lucina, which you can get for $30-40 on Amazon. It looks similar to prera but comes with a screw cap, and the nib is different from the metropolitan.

I'm thinking of venturing into Japanese fountain pens too! You might also consider Pilot Lucina, which you can get for $30-40 on Amazon. It looks similar to prera but comes with a screw cap, and the nib is different from the metropolitan.

I hadn't seen that one, I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

Just posted my review of the Pilot Metropolitan. I'm actually completely in love with this pen now.

I hadn't seen that one, I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

Just posted my review of the Pilot Metropolitan. I'm actually completely in love with this pen now.

Oh I didn't realize you've already made your purchase :D

I'm glad you love it! Living in Asia Metropolitans are hard to get. I can more easily get a cocoon (which seems to be basically the same, with different colours) but costs more than a prera >_<

Congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to Pilot World! I loved affordable Pilots so much I went off the deep end with pens from the Custom & Custom Heritage lines. =)

With that in mind -- as you pointed out the Metropolitan is a little heavy. Its weight & balance doesn't really reflect what to expect from many of Pilot's other pens which are plastic.

The Prera is a good pen and it's like a little brother to the Pilot Custom Heritage 912. You can get them for $26-$29 on Amazon which is a good deal. They are short pens, as others point out -- and because the cap finial(?) is metal -- the pen is a LITTLE back heavy when posted. The Prera has blunt ends similar to the more expensive Custom Heritage line (gold nibs, full size pen options, etc.)

The Pilot Lucina is another option -- ~$37 on Amazon. It's a gold plated steel nib and some people refer to it as a "poor man's 845 vermillion" which is exactly why I got it. Oddly this pen is one of my best firm nibs. It has blunt ends and a ball clip like the 845. It's a little more similar to the Custom line... and the cap is not heavy so there are no issues with weight or balance. It is a small pen, but not as short at the Prera.

The advice to consider a Custom 74 or Custom Heritage 91 when you're ready for a more expensive pen is a good advice, and if you like your MR I think you'll like those pens a lot. You may wish to try a soft nib, which is an option for the black 74/91.

Edited by JunkyardSam