Good Introduction To Japanese Pens?

KellyMcJ

I'm looking for recommendations for a good introductory Japanese pen - I'm looking at Pilot and Sailor (I may want a higher end pen from those brands at a later date) and in the sub-$50 range. I'm considering the Pilot Prera and the Sailor Lecoule (or however you spell that). The Pilot Cavalier is appealing, and has a soft nib that I would like to try but I'm afraid the pen itself is too narrow (although extremely elegant!)

Those are the ones I've looked at, but I am open to suggestions. I don't have a pen store nearby so I would be blind buying.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• AndrewPracticing

• Algester

• Miaxina

Curious as to why not a Pilot Metropolitan. I like the Prera. It is small but very smooth. Have no experience with the others you mention. Do you prefer fine, medium, broad or other?

I don't think that you can judge from a sub50 to a higher end pen - even from the same maker.

Personally, I would recommend - no ranking intended:

Sailor Profit Standard LINK

Pilot Custom 74 LINK

Platinum 3776 Century LINK

Use Google Translate to read the details.

I have the first two and from Platinum the model before the century. Basically they are identical, the pilot is just a little bit longer. I like them all and can recommend them all.

The metropolitan doesn't really appeal to me aesthetically, so I hadn't really considered it.

Mke I'll look into those. Thanks!

There's also the Pilot 78g which is discontinued but still plentiful on eBay. It seems to be well loved.

5000 yen huh not quite a good number for inventory but it will be good enough

Prera I personally like it in terms of size it does dry out though, but eh I guess its expected of this price range

Platinum Standard, Sailor Young and Pilot Celemo would be good if you like thin but not soo thin pens

78G is still there but you will be looking for stuff made in China than Japan I havent checked the quality of the Chinese made 78Gs though

beyond that Sailor Procolor 500, Sailor Lecoule (this I had a bad nib experience)

Platinum Plasir (if you dont like the preppy would also be an option)

5000 yen huh not quite a good number for inventory but it will be good enough

Prera I personally like it in terms of size it does dry out though, but eh I guess its expected of this price range

Platinum Standard, Sailor Young and Pilot Celemo would be good if you like thin but not soo thin pens

78G is still there but you will be looking for stuff made in China than Japan I havent checked the quality of the Chinese made 78Gs though

beyond that Sailor Procolor 500, Sailor Lecoule (this I had a bad nib experience)

Platinum Plasir (if you dont like the preppy would also be an option)

Thanks!

I would disagree that drying out is expected in this price range, most of mine have not done so. I have only had one or two dry out and it was the same ink both times. I've left a TWSBI inked for a year and it started immediately.

Thanks!

I would disagree that drying out is expected in this price range, most of mine have not done so. I have only had one or two dry out and it was the same ink both times. I've left a TWSBI inked for a year and it started immediately.

some of the TWSBI (ECO doesnt but it has an o-ring) have inner caps most of these pens arent that well sealed

however I'm not sure how good the seals are in the Plasir but the Preppy is somewhat passable

Edited by Algester

some of the TWSBI (ECO doesnt but it has an o-ring) have inner caps most of these pens arent that well sealed

Ah my Faber Castell pens have been generally good too.

Pilot 78g are plentiful new old stock on eBay still.

Also, how big a pen do you want?

Pilot 78G - quite small

Sailor Profit and Pilot Prera - just on the small side of medium, and a bit short

Pilot Custom 74 & Platinum Century 3776 - Medium

Pilot Custom 742/743, Sailor 1911 Classic Large & Sailor ProGear - Medium Large.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Also, how big a pen do you want?

Pilot 78G - quite small

Sailor Profit and Pilot Prera - just on the small side of medium, and a bit short

Pilot Custom 74 & Platinum Century 3776 - Medium

Pilot Custom 742/743, Sailor 1911 Classic Large & Sailor ProGear - Medium Large.

Great info, thanks! I'm not terribly picky on size- actually, I write with a Kaweco Sport unposted about 50% of the time. My preference seems to be somewhere in the middle when it comes to size, but varies based on shape as well.

Platinum 3776 seem to be going for $60 on ebay, so not far from your budget, never had one but seems like a step up from cheaper pens. Just make sure you get a nib that works for you, i.e. ultra extra fine sounds cool, but it's not something I would use as I would strain to see my own writing!

Other way more experienced people could give us a better idea, I'm under the impression prices raise substantially as you want (a) a better nib, (B) a bigger pen, © specific colours, i.e. black diamond or black rhodium instead of black and gold, in my case.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

The Pilot Metropolitan is growing on me. Someone sent me a letter today written with it and the line width and quality struck me! I may have to pick one up. It's so hard to judge writing samples online so it was awesome to see it in person.

I recommend that you order a Metropolitan. Any thoughts you have about the nib will apply to the Prera if you decide to go that route. You could either resell the Metro at nearly its full (small) price or just have a durable, quality extra FP that could be carried wherever you carry yor car keys, etc without guilt :)

Would you mind saying which line width struck you?

I recommend that you order a Metropolitan. Any thoughts you have about the nib will apply to the Prera if you decide to go that route. You could either resell the Metro at nearly its full (small) price or just have a durable, quality extra FP that could be carried wherever you carry yor car keys, etc without guilt :)

Would you mind saying which line width struck you?

It was a fine, which is 1/2-1/3 the width of what Kaweco calls an extra fine (I love the pen, but really? This is what you call "Extra fine" Kaweco?) and looks very close to the "steno" nib that I'm writing with at this very moment.

I had formerly preferred "fine" nibs of the Western variety, but my Edison extra fine ruined me...now I'm seeking out finer and finer nibs. :wub:

It was a fine, which is 1/2-1/3 the width of what Kaweco calls an extra fine (I love the pen, but really? This is what you call "Extra fine" Kaweco?) and looks very close to the "steno" nib that I'm writing with at this very moment.

I had formerly preferred "fine" nibs of the Western variety, but my Edison extra fine ruined me...now I'm seeking out finer and finer nibs. :wub:

Yes, I am impressed with Pilot's fine nib in my Metro. I thought I might enjoy an EF nib so bought a Platinum 3776 Century - as mentioned, this gets a little higher than your target budget - it is very nice but (admittedly only on the cheap paper I usually use) a bit more feedbacky than I like. It seems like you're narrowing it down...

Yes, I am impressed with Pilot's fine nib in my Metro. I thought I might enjoy an EF nib so bought a Platinum 3776 Century - as mentioned, this gets a little higher than your target budget - it is very nice but (admittedly only on the cheap paper I usually use) a bit more feedbacky than I like. It seems like you're narrowing it down...

I ordered the somehow both beautiful and obnoxious red Metro with a fine nib, it should be here Saturday. I got a hankering for a bright red pen and that one really grew on me...

So my bright red Pilot Metropolitan arrived today. Despite my reservations, I immediately fell in love with it.

The quality is impeccable, far better than the ubiquitous "high end office supply" pens I'm familiar with and it's hard to believe it was $15.

It's HEAVY, but very well balanced and comfortable to write with, and I have been avoiding heavy pens. That insane looking step at the section doesn't bother my at all because I don't grip the pen there. The fine nib is perfect. I'd read that they have some flex, so I tried some light pressure but didn't get any flex. I'm afraid to press harder (I don't write with flex anyway, so it is not disappointment. I like nails.)

That squeeze converter is awesome. It's got to be the easiest filling system I've ever used, hands down, except for the lever filler which is pretty much the same thing.

Inked it up with Shaeffer Blue Black and it wrote right out of the box. I might grab a few more. It looks better laying on my desk than it does in photos.

So my bright red Pilot Metropolitan arrived today. Despite my reservations, I immediately fell in love with it.

The quality is impeccable, far better than the ubiquitous "high end office supply" pens I'm familiar with and it's hard to believe it was $15.

It's HEAVY, but very well balanced and comfortable to write with, and I have been avoiding heavy pens. That insane looking step at the section doesn't bother my at all because I don't grip the pen there. The fine nib is perfect. I'd read that they have some flex, so I tried some light pressure but didn't get any flex. I'm afraid to press harder (I don't write with flex anyway, so it is not disappointment. I like nails.)

That squeeze converter is awesome. It's got to be the easiest filling system I've ever used, hands down, except for the lever filler which is pretty much the same thing.

Glad that you're happy with your choice. Considering that it is cheaper than the Pilot Prera, I like that it has the weight to it such that you needn't worry about it being dropped or such (at least while capped).

Some complain that about the small capacity of the converter, but at least you get it without a separate purchase. A Pilot cartridge could always be refilled with a syringe, too. And a $50 budget leaves you with enough for another Metropolitan or some ink, paper, the twist converter or whatever.