Ink Combination For The Daily Use

NicolausPiscator

As I am using my standard 2-ink-combination every day of my seven day week for about three years I am becoming tired of it - unfortunately and I have to confess, that I am a bit ashamed of it, because I think it is really a nice and also special ink combination:

Herbin Rouge hématite (1670 series)

Herbin Bleu océan (1670 series)

I have attached a small impression of these two inks written with Kaweco Sport ICE fountain pens with a fine steel nib.

I am thinking and experimenting with different inks now for some months and I have found several nice 2-ink-combinations which I would like to present to you on the one hand. On the other hand I would like to ask and to encourage you to post your favourite ink combinations! This would be highly interesting for me and I hope for our pen, nib and ink loving community.

post-135263-0-71105000-1497108333_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NicolausPiscator

• ParkerDuofold

• senzen

• inkstainedruth

Over here is every week three different combinations for my drafts and notes, so pretty much it looks like a chaos in my notebooks and on scrap paper I use for jotting the ideas.

On a more serious tone, when on business meetings I tend to use Tsuki-yo and MB Velvet red combination or Sherwood green with Hazelnut brown.

Yama-Dori was too distracting by it's beauty.. :), so I use it for signatures, regardless of non-document properties. I would not want it to compete with any othe colour!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

As I am using my standard 2-ink-combination every day of my seven day week for about three years I am becoming tired of it - unfortunately and I have to confess, that I am a bit ashamed of it, because I think it is really a nice and also special ink combination:

Herbin Rouge hématite (1670 series)

Herbin Bleu océan (1670 series)

I have attached a small impression of these two inks written with Kaweco Sport ICE fountain pens with a fine steel nib.

I am thinking and experimenting with different inks now for some months and I have found several nice 2-ink-combinations which I would like to present to you on the one hand. On the other hand I would like to ask and to encourage you to post your favourite ink combinations! This would be highly interesting for me and I hope for our pen, nib and ink loving community.

You use these inks as a one-two punch, I infer. I like to use Sailor dark purple, shigure, I think it's called, and also Diamine black green. I like the green and dark purple (on the blue side). The Sailor dark purple is my favorite rendition of purple.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Whenever I ink a pen I pick a different ink so I almost never have the same ink in use for more than a month and it keeps me from getting bored. The one big exception is Black Swan in Australian Roses because it's one of my favorite inks and so that stays in use pretty much constantly.

Indeed, it is more fun and interesting to change the ink colours! I realized it recently and now I am looking how to get used to the new and moree colourful inks in my fountain pens. After a long monopoly of Rouge hématite and Bleu océan a have somehow to get used to change.

This two-ink-combination is my new favourite combo - for this week? - it is:

L'Artisan Pastellier Itzamna (Callifolio Series)

Sailor Jentle Ink Blue Black

The one written with a Montblanc Rouge et Noir fountain pen with fine nib and the other one written with a Pelikan M150 with fine nib. This combination is in my eyes elegant and it has touch of a powdery quality. I use it this week for my memos and doodles... And I am still surprised by the fact that I started appreciating brown inks...

post-135263-0-56311200-1497392975_thumb.jpg

When I was down at the Triangle Pen Show this year, I wound up having Ron Zorn repair a pen I had just gotten, and then also (the next day) ended up buying a second pen from him to put the music nib and feed from a no-name lever filler in, when he couldn't easily get the no-name opened up without possible drastic measures. So I was sitting over at the Main Street Pens table one or the other of those times, and someone came over to talk to Ron about something, and Ron explained to the guy how Ron and I are in the same pen club, but that he himself is a something of an anomaly because he's not completely ink crazy like most of the rest of us are. Ironically, the two pens Ron worked on for me this time are currently inked up with his two standby inks -- Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black (in the Parkette now sporting that music nib) and Royal Blue (in a Frankenparker -- a striped Duofold button filler which, when I bought it, had a Sheaffer #3 nib on it; I'm trying to decide if I'll -- eventually -- swap for an actual Duofold nib or leave the Sheaffer nib on it because it writes well...).

Very few of my pens (mostly Noodler's pens, but also the Red Shadow Wave Vacumatic) get limited diets of one specific ink per -- one of the Noodler's Charlies has Blue Ghost in it; another is the BSB dedicated pen (although not inked up at the moment). The M400 Brown Tortoise only gets a limited palette variety -- only brown inks for some reason (I keep threatening it with Turquoise, but at the moment it's Edelstein Smoky Quartz -- I had planned to use Iroshihzuku Yama-guri in it, especially for drawing, but that ink was way too wet; OTOH, Noodler's Walnut, being very dry, is perfect in that pen). I'm trying very hard not to have the striated Blue M405 be a one-ink only pen... but Edelstein Tanzanite looked so GOOD coming out of that EF nib.... We'll see about the TWSBI as to whether I'll mix things up or not (really liking De Atramentis Sky Blue coming out of the B nib on it).

Okay, my husband *does* tell people I used to collect pens, but that I REALLY collect ink...

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yes, that is the point! ... Unfortunately I have lots of pens, too, but they serve a specific purpose: To establish the right match between pen, paper, nib and ink, and at the very end it is the ink which counts and sets the frame - at least for me. And, alas, there are some many beautiful and interesting inks still which I have not tested and even discovered!

Hi Nicolaus,

Here is a sample of Diamine Asa Blue and Matador Red, (for an Amazon shopping list):

http://i.imgur.com/4VGIvwM.jpg

If you want to keep the blue/red theme going, but don't like this, then please consider Diamine Midnight and Diamine Vermilion or Coral.

If you'd like to break away from the bluish/reddish theme altogether; then please consider Diamine Chocolate and Diamine Ultra Green for impact... if you think you'd be interested in this one; lmk and I'll work up a sample of it tomorrow. ;)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Post deleted. Redundant.

Sadly you deleted your post which I found quite interesting! Two-ink-colours-combinations are extremely interesting for me not just the red-and-blue combo but also green-blue, yellow-blue, grey-blue etc.

I have a funny 2-color combo: Rome Burning. It ranges from yellow to chocolate and leaves a purple stain in my pen. Wait, that makes it 3 colors.

I have a funny 2-color combo: Rome Burning. It ranges from yellow to chocolate and leaves a purple stain in my pen. Wait, that makes it 3 colors.

:lticaptd:

I'll admit that I decided I had no room in the stash for Rome Burning -- while a neat concept, it really is more of a "dog and pony show" ink.....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

There are some specific combinations I like, mostly "neutral" inks with "wild" ones, even though in this example Verde Muschiato is pretty wild to me.

fpn_1497717708__img_20170617_113053.jpg

This is with fabriano Traccia

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I don't have a ready image, but I've really enjoyed using Rohrer and Klingner Salix and Scabiosa alongside each other. Similar to your red and blue combo, they work really nicely together.

Then there's going from purplish blues to greenish blues. Note that Kon Peki and Ama Iro can look wildly different if they're fresh or not on these pens, even if they still look spectacular. Here they would look more as in the upper part of the p and r.

fpn_1497720073__img_20170617_121408.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

[...] I've really enjoyed using Rohrer and Klingner Salix and Scabiosa alongside each other. Similar to your red and blue combo, they work really nicely together.

As I have both of them, I will have a try. Thank you!

[pseudo88's ink combos]

Thank you very much for your detailed ink combinations! Your photos and combinations are excellent. I know most of the inks and have some of them and I have to admit that I am fascinated of your lie de thé-arrangements with orange indien and myosotis! I never tried the out in combination although I have all the three. They look great together. And also my favourite rouge hématite with vert empire looks very nice.