The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Coral 74. Beyond Help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 marshall11

marshall11

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:51

So I pick up this pen and pencil at a flea market last weekend, decent color, nice nib, but the pen has issues, as shown. The barrel looks to have a liner...lead?? Anyway, I managed to get the section out of the barrel with a few minutes of hair dryer application. The section has a metal band on it, as can be seen. There was some residue...maybe sort of like of the residue you find on your car battery terminals...
The barrel is obviously swollen at the threads. I have a theory...uninformed and inexperienced at best...the metal from the band reacted with the barrel lining and the resulting residue over time swelled the barrel.

Any input would be appreciated. Of course, any resurrection of the pen would require a new clip, but beyond that.. I fear it looks like a parts pen to me.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Attached Images

• IMG_1628.JPG
  • IMG_1627.JPG
  • IMG_1520.JPG
  • IMG_1522.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:36

These pens have liners.  Ask Syd why they did it.

Not so sure I'd try to save this one directly but rather find a worse off pen with the clip and parts you need and transplant.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:11

The liner is corroded so your theory might be right. Is that a silver band on the section?

It also looks as if the open end of the barrel (threaded portion) is partially chipped off.

Sponsored Content

|