The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Jinhao 991 Review

china chinese jinhao 991 fine smooth wet bargain review asia

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 Durham K

Durham K

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:30

Oh, I get it -- the Jinhaos self-destruct to save you from having to worry about that ;-)  Its a feature, not a bug!

Funny, but not so much as, too many pens and few people who will cherish them in the future. 

Sponsored Content

#102 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:44

Platinum's new line of Preppies is definitely a step in the right direction. The 991 is still a better deal though because you get a converter included and the pen can take standard international cartridges instead of those expensive proprietary Platinum cartridges, all for like half the price of a Preppy. Of course, that assumes you like the wet and broader line of the 991.

I was able to get extra fine unhooded nib 991 from jewelerymathematics on ebay. I don't know where he got it. but he somehow managed to get some for sale.

#103 Ardakilic

Ardakilic

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:32

Two days ago, I found out both of my transparent Eye-dropped Jinhao 991s cracked from the twist section. One was at home and the other was at the office. I did not use them for a week. They were nice the last time I checked, and no one tinkered with them. I think it's because the heat change during the day and night, but to be honest I didn't think it would affect the body's plastic, unlike the cap.

It was a good run, but time to return to converter or to salvage nib and feed.

Although, the matte versions are still rock solid. No cracks anywhere whatsoever.

#104 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:25

Platinum's new line of Preppies is definitely a step in the right direction. The 991 is still a better deal though because you get a converter included and the pen can take standard international cartridges instead of those expensive proprietary Platinum cartridges, all for like half the price of a Preppy. Of course, that assumes you like the wet and broader line of the 991.

Well I found some Platinum Black carts at Daiso for 2 dollars for 3 carts. Daiso also had the Jinhao carts for 2 dollars for 4 or 5 carts.

#105 WarrenB

WarrenB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 22:33

attachicon.gif Jinhao991ED03.JPG

Three ED'd 991s.

Three ED'd 991s, two cracked. I had the barrels unscrewed just a little, to let the o-rings slot in at the top of the section threads. I assumed that loose fit was what let a few drops of ink escape when the red pen was laid on it's side for ten-twenty minutes, so I screwed the barrels of red and green down tight.* That brought the o-rings up just a tad and - I didn't realise at the time - prevented the caps from fully 'clicking' over the hump on the section. A day or two later and that bit of outward pressure resulted in four cracks running up each cap.
Still usable for now, it hasn't killed the pens (not yet) but it feels like a sign to move onto some less brittle eyedropper...

* I really should've listened to TruthPil's advice way back on page 1. Section and barrel screwed tight and even with the silicone grease wiped off, there's no hint of ink in the threads.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

#106 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:15

Three ED'd 991s, two cracked. I had the barrels unscrewed just a little, to let the o-rings slot in at the top of the section threads. I assumed that loose fit was what let a few drops of ink escape when the red pen was laid on it's side for ten-twenty minutes, so I screwed the barrels of red and green down tight.* That brought the o-rings up just a tad and - I didn't realise at the time - prevented the caps from fully 'clicking' over the hump on the section. A day or two later and that bit of outward pressure resulted in four cracks running up each cap.
Still usable for now, it hasn't killed the pens (not yet) but it feels like a sign to move onto some less brittle eyedropper...

* I really should've listened to TruthPil's advice way back on page 1. Section and barrel screwed tight and even with the silicone grease wiped off, there's no hint of ink in the threads.

Thanks for the update on your pens and sorry to hear some cracked. It seems like all the plastic Jinhao pens are a bit delicate, some more than others, so customization poses a real risk. My general policy now for Chinese pens is to get Jinhao metal pens, Wing Sung plastic pens, and Penbbs fancy acrylic pens.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#107 LazyPen

LazyPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:51

For what concern nib performance how can it be compared with Jinhao 992 ?

thks

#108 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 23:33

For what concern nib performance how can it be compared with Jinhao 992 ?

thks

The nib on the 991 is identical to that of the 992. Jinhao actually only has a few nibs they use and just put on different models.

#109 LazyPen

LazyPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:09

The nib on the 991 is identical to that of the 992. Jinhao actually only has a few nibs they use and just put on different models.

And for what concern ergonomics there are some concrete differences among the two?

#110 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2020 - 21:40

And for what concern ergonomics there are some concrete differences among the two?

The whole feel of the pen is quite different. The 991 is a somewhat thin design and the section has 3 subtle indentations for fingers (kind of like Lamy Safari but not as pronounced). The 992 is thicker and shorter than the 991; it feels much more substantial than the 991 but the material of the 992 is brittle and cracks easily. 661s crack too but not as often. I hope that helps.

#111 LazyPen

LazyPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:36

The whole feel of the pen is quite different. The 991 is a somewhat thin design and the section has 3 subtle indentations for fingers (kind of like Lamy Safari but not as pronounced). The 992 is thicker and shorter than the 991; it feels much more substantial than the 991 but the material of the 992 is brittle and cracks easily. 661s crack too but not as often. I hope that helps.

Yes, it does.

:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: china, chinese, jinhao, 991, fine, smooth, wet, bargain, review, asia

Sponsored Content

|