The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jinhao 991 Review

china chinese jinhao 991 fine smooth wet bargain review asia

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 Durham K

Durham K

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:30

Oh, I get it -- the Jinhaos self-destruct to save you from having to worry about that ;-)  Its a feature, not a bug!

Funny, but not so much as, too many pens and few people who will cherish them in the future. 

Sponsored Content

#102 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:44

Platinum's new line of Preppies is definitely a step in the right direction. The 991 is still a better deal though because you get a converter included and the pen can take standard international cartridges instead of those expensive proprietary Platinum cartridges, all for like half the price of a Preppy. Of course, that assumes you like the wet and broader line of the 991.

I was able to get extra fine unhooded nib 991 from jewelerymathematics on ebay. I don't know where he got it. but he somehow managed to get some for sale.

#103 Ardakilic

Ardakilic

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:32

Two days ago, I found out both of my transparent Eye-dropped Jinhao 991s cracked from the twist section. One was at home and the other was at the office. I did not use them for a week. They were nice the last time I checked, and no one tinkered with them. I think it's because the heat change during the day and night, but to be honest I didn't think it would affect the body's plastic, unlike the cap.

It was a good run, but time to return to converter or to salvage nib and feed.

Although, the matte versions are still rock solid. No cracks anywhere whatsoever.

#104 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:25

Platinum's new line of Preppies is definitely a step in the right direction. The 991 is still a better deal though because you get a converter included and the pen can take standard international cartridges instead of those expensive proprietary Platinum cartridges, all for like half the price of a Preppy. Of course, that assumes you like the wet and broader line of the 991.

Well I found some Platinum Black carts at Daiso for 2 dollars for 3 carts. Daiso also had the Jinhao carts for 2 dollars for 4 or 5 carts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: china, chinese, jinhao, 991, fine, smooth, wet, bargain, review, asia

Sponsored Content

|