F - Nib Variations.

Dorf

I just talked to the Montblanc agent on the phone. He has tested my pen now, and it was 100% fine. It's been under a magnifying glass, and there was no misagnilnment. Actually, this is how a 'F' line shall look like. It's the F nib on my Ultra Black that is a bit too broad. It looks more like a Medium. Nib variations can be normal, because they are hand made. If I wanted a more smooth writing experience, I have to change to a Medium, but I don't want that because I like the elegant line from a F nib. I will now settle down and enjoy my pen, eased to know everything is normal. I hope the pen will arrive soon. :)

Edited by Dorf

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dorf

• meiers

• Tom Kellie

• A1979

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of days ago I picked up my pen. First it seemed fine, but now, after some use it has been just worse and worse. It's now so dry, it almost don't come any ink out the nib ( the pen is completely full ). Something must be wrong. Is it possible to send the pen directly to Montblanc, avoiding the Norwegian agent?

Yes. Contact Montblanc in Hamburg... and let them know what's going on.

+49 (0)40 84001-0

These numbers were working four years ago. They might still be current.

Customer Service International

Phone: +49 40 84001-556

Fax: +49 40 84001-320

"STANDARDS OF PERFECTION

Montblancs standards of perfection go beyond the state-of-the-art manufacture of the products and are not limited to the strict quality control procedures to which every product is subjected before leaving our premises."

Edited by meiers

+49 (0)40 84001-0

"STANDARDS OF PERFECTION

Montblancs standards of perfection go beyond the state-of-the-art manufacture of the products and are not limited to the strict quality control procedures to which every product is subjected before leaving our premises."

Thank you VERY much

+49 (0)40 84001-0

"STANDARDS OF PERFECTION

And if this does not solve your problem, I would suggest sending the pen to a nibmeister.

Edited by A1979

I sent a 146R twice to MB service before they got it right. It's a perfect pen now.

I like my pens to be "wet" writers.

Please let them know what you're looking for in your pen's performance. Attaching a cover letter with a writing sample of the desired result or a detailed description of it always helps.

Edited by meiers

I wonder if I should change to a M nib instead, but I'm worried it will be too broad. I like the elegant line of a F nib, but I suppose the M is much smoother

Medium nibs are not smoother in my experience.

All my f nibs are very smooth.

One of them was scratchy out of the box and had to go back twice. The second time I appended a letter explaining in detail how I wanted it to perform. It came back writing like a champ.

Edited by meiers

Medium nibs are not smoother in my experience.

All my f nibs are very smooth.

One of them was scratchy out of the box and had to go back twice. The second time I appended a letter explaining in detail how I wanted it to perform. It came back writing like a champ.

Ok thanks. I will stay with the F.

I have a Montblanc 146 and it is with a medium nib. It is very wet and too smooth and I haven't used it for ages.

It is laying somewhere doing nothing and I have some other pens to use and now -a -days, I am on a writing schedule to improve my writing I am checking all my pens.

I am thinking to replace the nib for a fine or try myself to tune it on a grit to get it less smooth and perhaps less wet. This sounds crazy to you but I am serious.

I think nib-masters will ask me lot of money but as it is Montblanc I can't replace the nib like I did on most of the fountain pens.

For other pens, It is easy to buy a good quality nib and replace the nib you desire.

But I know you are going to tell me why the hell I want to put an Engine of a Ford on to a Ferrari Body? Well you know some people are insane and they get weird Ideas.

It is me. But I never believe in using a LEICA CAMERA mounted on a SONY LENS!!! :lol:

It may be better to just trade nibs with someone who has what you're looking for. Sounds like many are looking for what you have.

I have a Montblanc 146 and it is with a medium nib. It is very wet and too smooth and I haven't used it for ages.

It is laying somewhere doing nothing and I have some other pens to use and now -a -days, I am on a writing schedule to improve my writing I am checking all my pens.

I am thinking to replace the nib for a fine or try myself to tune it on a grit to get it less smooth and perhaps less wet. This sounds crazy to you but I am serious.

I think nib-masters will ask me lot of money but as it is Montblanc I can't replace the nib like I did on most of the fountain pens.

For other pens, It is easy to buy a good quality nib and replace the nib you desire.

But I know you are going to tell me why the hell I want to put an Engine of a Ford on to a Ferrari Body? Well you know some people are insane and they get weird Ideas.

It is me. But I never believe in using a LEICA CAMERA mounted on a SONY LENS!!! :lol:

I tried this and ended up destroying a nib.

Edited by meiers

I wonder if I should change to a M nib instead, but I'm worried it will be too broad. I like the elegant line of a F nib, but I suppose the M is much smoother

All my F nibs are wet and smooth writers, like this Heritage 1912

fpn_1497204210__heritagefinenib.jpg

Edited by meiers

I think nib-masters will ask me lot of money

Both Mike Masuyama and John Sorowka (the two I've worked with) have very honest rates and outstanding results. I would even be ready to pay more, because I don't see the point in having an expensive pen which doesn't suit your "writing taste".

Well, I'm worried a new F nib will be equal to the old, so I asked for a M..

Have you shared or expressed your worries with the customer service centre? If they understood your concerns and your preference for an f-nib, they would definitely rise to the occasion.

Edited by meiers

Have you shared or expressed your worries with the customer service centre? If they understood your concerns and your preference for an f-nib, they would definitely rise to the occasion.

I included a note with the shipment, where I explane my wishes. I couldn't send it directly to Montblanc, so it had to go via the same agent that concluded my pen was 100% perfect..

I included a note with the shipment, where I explane my wishes. I couldn't send it directly to Montblanc, so it had to go via the same agent that concluded my pen was 100% perfect..

Please let us know how it turns out for you.

Hello! I have two fountain pens. One Ultra Black classique with F nib, and one 149 Platinum also with F nib. I have now tested my new 149 for a while, and I've noticed that the nib seems quite different than the Ultra Black nib. The shift from the U.B is more dense and looks more like marker shift. The nib on my 149 is a bit more scratchy, dry, and it seems like it's coming less ink out. I suppose this is more like how a F nib is supposed to be. Is it normal that two nibs with similar size, can vary that much?

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b542/oslo-fjord/20170607_220106-1_zps1s2sqt9z.jpg

When I bought my 146, I had Montblanc change the medium nib to a fine nib. When the pen came back from Montblanc, the new "fine" wrote wider than the original medium. Same ink, same paper.